Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by jkollar <jk...@gmail.com> on 2011/09/06 15:58:26 UTC

Migration from Tapestry 5.0.18 to Tapestry 5.2.6 on Websphere 6.1

Hi, we have recently upgraded from Tapestry 5.0.18 to Tapestry 5.2.6. After
this upgrade we have noticed that on deployment environment (Websphere
6.1.0.21) the application has some problems with loading some resources
(assets). For example the tapestry default CSS is not loaded correctly - the
rules are not applied as if there wasn't such CSS. When I check it through
Firebug, it seems that the default.css was loaded but contains no CSS rules.
When I check the generated HTML it contains (generated) link to default.css
as expected. When I try to open this link in FF, it shows empty page, when I
try to open it in IE, it opens notepad with no content. Something similar is
happening with 3rd party libraries. We are using chenillekit and it's
DatePicker. This date picker uses mixin called onEvent (also contained in
this library). This mixin uses javacript files imported using
@Import(library = {"../Chenillekit.js", "../components/CkOnEvents.js"})
This mixin doesn't work because of similar problem - these imported
javascript files appear to be empty when debugging through Firebug.
The interesting thing is that everything works fine on development
environment (Tomcat on Windows). But after deploying on development
environment (Websphere 6.1.0.21 on Linux) the application behaves as
mentioned.
I have read that there are some issues when deploying Tapestry 5 apps to
Websphere 6.1. But we were deploying the application on the same Websphere
before Tapestry upgrade and it worked fine, so it may look like that it's a
problem of the new version of Tapestry. Any ideas?

Re: Migration from Tapestry 5.0.18 to Tapestry 5.2.6 on Websphere 6.1

Posted by Josh Canfield <jo...@gmail.com>.
> @Import(library = {"../Chenillekit.js", "../components/CkOnEvents.js"})

This looks suspicious to me, although you've said that default.css
isn't loading as well. Is this with tapestry-production="true" or
"false"?

Can you show the link/script element that is generated in your pages?

Thanks,
Josh

Posted by jkollar <jk...@gmail.com>.
So we have found identified the problem. As I've found in the documentation,
Tapestry from version 5.1 compresses requests/responses and assets using
gzip. obviously our websphere has some problem with this. Our solution is to
disable this feature via configuration property
tapestry.gzip-compression-enabled. This has fixed our problem. But from what
I've quickly googled, it seems that Websphere indeed messes up something
with HTTP headers and compression:
http://fixunix.com/websphere/526204-websphere-seems-decompress-gzipped-requests-but-let-thecontent-encoding.html
http://fixunix.com/websphere/526204-websphere-seems-decompress-gzipped-requests-but-let-thecontent-encoding.html
Thanks for help anyway.

Re: Migration from Tapestry 5.0.18 to Tapestry 5.2.6 on Websphere 6.1

Posted by Christian Köberl <ta...@gmail.com>.
2011-09-06 15:58, jkollar:
> Hi, we have recently upgraded from Tapestry 5.0.18 to Tapestry 5.2.6. After
> this upgrade we have noticed that on deployment environment (Websphere
> 6.1.0.21) the application has some problems with loading some resources
> (assets).

Our application is running with Tapestry 5.2.6 in production on
Websphere 6.1. We have no issues so far - except the usual Websphere
issues :)

Have you done all the stuff documented here:
http://wiki.apache.org/tapestry/HowToRunTapestry5Websphere
(and here: http://tapestry.apache.org/current/websphere.html)?

--
Chris