Posted to users@archiva.apache.org by Chris Mylonas <ch...@opencsta.org> on 2011/11/01 01:49:01 UTC

NAT question re: cloud hosting

Hi Archiva Users,

I haven't used archiva for nearly 4 months due to workload and I'd like to get back into using it to help with testing and my own project needs.
I initially tested an install on Rackspace Cloud which ran nicely, but the Amazon (AWS) service provides more RAM and is cheaper (because I have a couple reserved instances)

Rackspace = Public IP address      vs     AWS = private IP address with NAT-ing for a public IP address (i.e. the public address does not live on the server)

I will eventually (this week) test with AWS, but to expedite I ask:  does anyone host their archiva on AWS with an elastic (public) IP?

Thanks
Chris

Re: NAT question re: cloud hosting

Posted by Chris Mylonas <ch...@opencsta.org>.
Hi Brett,

Cool - that's good news!

Baby steps for me :)  If the machine stops for some reason, I'll just have to manually allocate the elastic IP address again.  If there's downtime, we'll just have to wear it until we programmatically (thru the AWS API) allocate the elasic IP to the rebooted instance.

Yes, using EBS will be my ticket for repo data.  Again, more testing.  The opencsta project only has a few jars.
For a few other personal projects I'm working on there is a bit more of a dependency list, which I have not used archiva for being a proxy for so not sure on the space required (javaee-api etc.)

If I can get away for the next few months of using the micro instance (minimal archiva stuff + no nightly builds, updates etc.) it's a good $7/month spend for getting more acquainted with archiva.

Thank Brett
Chris

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.