Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Wim Lewis <wi...@omnigroup.com> on 2014/05/29 01:15:23 UTC

[users@httpd] Multilingual ErrorDocuments vs. content-type negotiation

I'm having an annoying problem as a result of enabling multilingual error documents. The situation is this:

  - I'm using the multilingual error docs that come with apache 2.4.x.
  - I have clients other than web browsers --- API consumers, WebDAV clients, etc. --- which don't include text/html in their Accept: headers.

When an error of some kind occurs, Apache goes and looks through the typemap for a matching error page. Unfortunately it doesn't find one, since all of the error pages are HTML. So instead, it returns a generic error page (in HTML!), as well as logging an "AH00690: no acceptable variant" message, changing the response code in the CombinedLog to 406, and generally emitting noise.

If there *isn't* a typemap for multilingual error docs, then Apache will happily return an HTML error page to the client, even though the client does not Accept: text/html. (I'm not sure what the standards have to say about this situation, but this seems like the generally preferable behavior for error documents, and what I would expect.)

Obviously, I can simply turn off multilingual error documents to get the behavior I want, but I'd like to keep the l10n if I can.

Re: [users@httpd] Multilingual ErrorDocuments vs. content-type negotiation

Posted by Nick Kew <ni...@webthing.com>.
On Wed, 2014-05-28 at 16:15 -0700, Wim Lewis wrote:
> I'm having an annoying problem as a result of enabling multilingual error documents. The situation is this:
>
>   - I'm using the multilingual error docs that come with apache 2.4.x.
>   - I have clients other than web browsers --- API consumers, WebDAV clients, etc. --- which don't include text/html in their Accept: headers.
>
> When an error of some kind occurs, Apache goes and looks through the typemap for a matching error page. Unfortunately it doesn't find one, since all of the error pages are HTML.

I've not observed that, but it feels buggish to me.  From memory,
text/html should be treated as implicit in Accept.

What happens if you use multiviews without a type map
to get multilingual error docs?

--
Nick Kew