Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> on 2013/07/12 18:49:39 UTC

Where to keep release notes?

In the past we drafted release notes on the wiki, and then moved them
to a location on the website.  I'd like to challenge our thinking on
this.

Wouldn't it be useful to keep the release notes as a "live" document
on the wiki, so we can easily update it with additional information on
known issues as they are found, especially after release?

Remember, even if the issue is not caused by AOO code, a new upgrade
to a dependent operating system or other 3rd party application can
cause new issues to appear at any time.  So keeping  the release notes
updated is important.

Do we lose anything if we do this?  For example, is there a concern
that the wiki can not handle the load?

-Rob

Re: Where to keep release notes?

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Am 07/13/2013 01:28 AM, schrieb Rob Weir:
> On Fri, Jul 12, 2013 at 4:44 PM, Marcus (OOo)<ma...@wtnet.de>  wrote:

>>> And I did not mean to suggest anything else. The wiki page would be
>>> tied to a specific version of AOO, a different page for each version.
>>> But it would be  updated to reflect the latest info, especially in the
>>> "known problems" section.
>>

>> You suggested to put the release notes *and* latest information into the
>> Wiki, not only the last.
>>

> Specifically, I'm proposing that these are the same thing.  Remember,
> we already have a section in the release notes called "known issues".
> It sounds like you want that to be a snapshot of what was known at a
> fixed point in time, and then force the user to go to a different page
> to find timely information.  Why make them do that?

Of course not. I wrote that the normal release notes should go to the
webpage and the section(s) that can change (e.g., known issues) can go
to the Wiki.

>>> Look at it from the perspective of the user. They want one place to go
>>> for relevant info related to the release and problems they might
>>> encounter. They don't want to hunt around for "old" versus "new" info.
>>> Those distinctions are not relevant to a new user.
>>

>> Look from the perspective of a forum user. They ask "Why does function X not
>> work on OS Y?" and they could be pointed to the Wiki page with the "Known
>> Issues" part, without the need to read all the oher stuff.
>>

> If the user was not able to find a solution themselves then we have
> already failed.  The forums are not a solution for 50 million users.
> We still need to make an effort to provide relevant information to the
> user *at the time they download AOO*.

Yes, up to then we have to point them after the download / install to
the information.

> A specific example.  AOO 3.4.0 had a problem with migration extensions
> which caused a crash that lead to a huge number of reports to the
> forums and the mailing list and bugzilla.  We're still cleaning up the
> mess.  We get many reports on this on Facebook as well.   Doesn't it
> make sense for the user to know about this information, and the easy
> workaround, when they download AOO initially?  Why make them hunt for
> the info?

There is no hunt when there is a clear way to find the information.

When we put the link on some prominent places then the Google index can
help us. The user searches for "Known issues", "major problems" or what
ever and can find the Wiki page realtiviley easily.

>>> For example, imagine Windows 8.1 comes out and causes a problem with
>>> AOO4, but there is a good workaround that could save the user much
>>> frustration.  But the release notes don't mention this. They just say
>>> Windows 8 is tested. This is not very helpful.
>>

>> Great, just point them to the Wiki page.
>>

> Again, I'm trying to encourage self-service remedies for millions of
> users.  Once they come here to ask a question they are already
> frustrated and we have already failed them.

When we have millions of users with problems we have a totally different
problem. ;-)

>>> My proposal was to handle this by keeping the release notes on a wiki
>>> page so such changes are seen by users with the least effort for them
>>> and us.
>>

>> I still would like to see the (real) release notes in SVN control and
>> finally on a webpage. And the things that occur suddenly until the next
>> release can go into the Wiki.
>>
>> We are not that far away from each others opinion. ;-)
>>

> Perhaps, but I would like you to consider again this from the user's
> perspective and what would make it easiest for them to resolve issues
> without flooding our mailing lists for questions that we already know
> about.

I still think that a "splitted" way would be the best.

A)
The user downloads AOO and is reading the release notes (BTW, how does
he knows that these exist?), clicks on the link and can see all known
issues up to the last edit.

B)
The user has already a problem with AOO and can be pointed (forum, user
list, Google search, ...) to the known issues list, without the need to
read all the othert stuff of the release notes that he is not
interesting in.

That's the way I see the flow.

Marcus

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Jul 12, 2013 at 4:44 PM, Marcus (OOo) <ma...@wtnet.de> wrote:
> Am 07/12/2013 09:17 PM, schrieb Rob Weir:

>>> I support the doubts of Jan.
>>>
>>> The release notes should be seen as an artifact from a release as they
>>> describe this. We can also go that far that we write down the SVN revision
>>> number into the release notes. Then they are really tied strictly to this
>>> release and nothing else.
>>>

>> And I did not mean to suggest anything else. The wiki page would be
>> tied to a specific version of AOO, a different page for each version.
>> But it would be  updated to reflect the latest info, especially in the
>> "known problems" section.
>

> You suggested to put the release notes *and* latest information into the
> Wiki, not only the last.

Specifically, I'm proposing that these are the same thing.  Remember,
we already have a section in the release notes called "known issues".
It sounds like you want that to be a snapshot of what was known at a
fixed point in time, and then force the user to go to a different page
to find timely information.  Why make them do that?

>>> What about to put a link like this at the top of the release notes to
>>> give it more visible attention:
>>>
>>> Text: "For the latest information about Apache OpenOffice 4.0 see
>>>       this related Wiki page."
>>> Link: http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/AOO400_Lastest_Info
>>>

>> Look at it from the perspective of the user. They want one place to go
>> for relevant info related to the release and problems they might
>> encounter. They don't want to hunt around for "old" versus "new" info.
>> Those distinctions are not relevant to a new user.
>

> Look from the perspective of a forum user. They ask "Why does function X not
> work on OS Y?" and they could be pointed to the Wiki page with the "Known
> Issues" part, without the need to read all the oher stuff.

If the user was not able to find a solution themselves then we have
already failed.  The forums are not a solution for 50 million users.
We still need to make an effort to provide relevant information to the
user *at the time they download AOO*.

A specific example.  AOO 3.4.0 had a problem with migration extensions
which caused a crash that lead to a huge number of reports to the
forums and the mailing list and bugzilla.  We're still cleaning up the
mess.  We get many reports on this on Facebook as well.   Doesn't it
make sense for the user to know about this information, and the easy
workaround, when they download AOO initially?  Why make them hunt for
the info?  Is it really relevant, from a user support perspective,
whether the issue and workaround was known on the day we released
versus an issue found a month later?  Do you really think the user
expects the former to be found in one place and the latter in another
place?  Really?

>> For example, imagine Windows 8.1 comes out and causes a problem with
>> AOO4, but there is a good workaround that could save the user much
>> frustration.  But the release notes don't mention this. They just say
>> Windows 8 is tested. This is not very helpful.
>

> Great, just point them to the Wiki page.

Again, I'm trying to encourage self-service remedies for millions of
users.  Once they come here to ask a question they are already
frustrated and we have already failed them.

>>> Then new and important / noteable changes can be documented in the (more
>>> easily accessible) Wiki.
>>

>> My proposal was to handle this by keeping the release notes on a wiki
>> page so such changes are seen by users with the least effort for them
>> and us.
>

> I still would like to see the (real) release notes in SVN control and
> finally on a webpage. And the things that occur suddenly until the next
> release can go into the Wiki.
>
> We are not that far away from each others opinion. ;-)

Perhaps, but I would like you to consider again this from the user's
perspective and what would make it easiest for them to resolve issues
without flooding our mailing lists for questions that we already know
about.

Regards,

-Rob

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Jul 12, 2013 at 5:39 PM, janI <ja...@apache.org> wrote:
> On 12 July 2013 22:44, Marcus (OOo) <ma...@wtnet.de> wrote:
>
>> Am 07/12/2013 09:17 PM, schrieb Rob Weir:

>>> And I did not mean to suggest anything else. The wiki page would be
>>> tied to a specific version of AOO, a different page for each version.
>>> But it would be  updated to reflect the latest info, especially in the
>>> "known problems" section.
>>>

>> You suggested to put the release notes *and* latest information into the
>> Wiki, not only the last.
>>

>>  We can then have a "latest information", which are live in wiki.

>>> Look at it from the perspective of the user. They want one place to go
>>> for relevant info related to the release and problems they might
>>> encounter. They don't want to hunt around for "old" versus "new" info.
>>> Those distinctions are not relevant to a new user.
>>>

>> Look from the perspective of a forum user. They ask "Why does function X
>> not work on OS Y?" and they could be pointed to the Wiki page with the
>> "Known Issues" part, without the need to read all the oher stuff.
>>

>>  For example, imagine Windows 8.1 comes out and causes a problem with
>>> AOO4, but there is a good workaround that could save the user much
>>> frustration.  But the release notes don't mention this. They just say
>>> Windows 8 is tested. This is not very helpful.
>>>

>> Great, just point them to the Wiki page.
>>

>>  Then new and important / noteable changes can be documented in the (more
>>>>

>>> My proposal was to handle this by keeping the release notes on a wiki
>>> page so such changes are seen by users with the least effort for them
>>> and us.
>>>

>> I still would like to see the (real) release notes in SVN control and
>> finally on a webpage. And the things that occur suddenly until the next
>> release can go into the Wiki.
>>
>> We are not that far away from each others opinion. ;-)
>

> I think you have an extra point, compared to my first post. Keeping (real)
> release notes fixed (web page / svn) and have "last notes" in wiki, will
> make the latter slim and fast to read, so we can hope the users actually
> read it.

Imagine you take some medicine, and the jar has some instructions and
warnings on it.  And then there is some fine print that says, "for
updated warnings, go to this web page".  Do you think that would work
well?  Perhaps, with physical things we are limited in that way.  But
if the information is natively digital, why wouldn't you update it in
place, so the reader gets all of the information at once?  Why would
any user care about "original" versus "updated" information?  Why is
that even a distinction that they care about?  Don't they really just
want to know *only* the relevant current information?

As for keeping it slim, I agree there.  But that does not mean that we
segregate relevant updated information.  It means that we structure
the release notes carefully so all information is easy to find, and we
make it clear what information is critical.   We fail to do that if we
put important information on a secondary page just because it was
found later.

Remember, your approach has already been shown to fail in the case of
the profile corruption issue we had with AOO 3.4.0. Why not try
sometime else this time?

-Rob

Posted by janI <ja...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, Jul 14, 2013 at 10:49 AM, Keith N. McKenna <
keith.mckenna@comcast.net> wrote:

> Kay Schenk wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Jul 13, 2013 at 3:17 PM, Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> wrote:

>>> https://cwiki.apache.org/**confluence/display/OOODEV/**Wiki+Home<https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOODEV/Wiki+Home>
>>>
>>> This was created when we first started as a podling.  But we never
>>> really used it.
>>>
>>> -Rob
>>>

>> Let's just go ahead and use that area if you want to move the Release
>> Notes. At some point, we may want to make a copy for the web -- but right
>> now this isn't critical for me as long as the "working" copy is in a
>> relatively secure area. Time to get our links finalized. I think
>> Confluence
>> may automatically adjust references for those working on this who have the
>> old location bookmarked.
>>

> The only problem that I see with this is that those of us that are not
> commiters but have worked extensively on the release notes are effectively
> shut out. I noticed that th overview of the dev wiki states that you must
> have a CLA on file. Is that a process that anyone interested can avail
> themselves of or is it strictly for committers?
>
> Regards
> Keith

Hi Keith --

Moving the Release Notes to the committer only DEV area would not be done
until right before release. This is the same end result of moving them to
the web site (as has been done in the past), as only committers can update
the site.

I'm sorry I stated my former comment the way I did. I didn't intend for
them to moved instantly. The Release Notes will likely remain where they
are until the actual release.

In any case, if you ARE interested in becoming a committer, you should
certainly file an ICLA.

>>> we

>>> ------------------------------**-------

>>> ------------------------------**-------

MzK

Success is falling nine times and getting up ten."
                             -- Jon Bon Jovi

Re: Where to keep release notes?

Posted by "Keith N. McKenna" <ke...@comcast.net>.

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Am 07/13/2013 01:45 AM, schrieb Rob Weir:
>   It is even possible to do it on the committer-only CWiki.   (Anyone
> remember that we have that?)

Yes, and we should simply delete this as it is no long used and need.

Technically it's of course possible to put the release notes there. But
we shouldn't do that on a kind of "small road leading to nowhere".

OK, I'm wander from the subject. ;-)

Marcus

Re: Where to keep release notes?

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.
> [...]
>>

> I think most users consult the page rarely.  They might look once when
> they install initially.  And then they look again perhaps, if they run
> into a problem.  One advantage of the release notes in particular (and
> this is true of no other page) is that they tend to have higher Google
> PageRank, because they are linked to from news articles.  So users who
> query for things like "apache openoffice 4.0 issues" will tend to find
> that page high on their results list.  This would not be true for
> issues that we push off to another, secondary page.
>
>> I, too, really don't like the idea of anyone with a wiki account being able
>> to change these, especially with the possibility of  no general
>> consultation or consensus.
>>

> There are ways of handling this that control the ACL, such as using
> the OOODEV CWiki, or even using static HTML or MDText pages, if the

For me yes, it is a concern that everybody could change a document that
shouldn't (mostly) be changed when the release is done. Of course
changes in the Wiki can be reverted (same for edits in SVN). But IMHO we
shouldn't rely on this just to be able to put text whereever we want.

So, if we could create a zone inside the Wiki with limited access, put
the release notes there and update only the sections for "Known Issues"
and others, when there is really a need for, then I would be OK to put
the complete release notes into the Wiki.

Marcus

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ra...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ra...@gmail.com>.
On Jul 12, 2013, at 1:18 PM, janI <ja...@apache.org> wrote:

> On 12 July 2013 18:49, Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> In the past we drafted release notes on the wiki, and then moved them
>> to a location on the website.  I'd like to challenge our thinking on
>> this.
>>
>> Wouldn't it be useful to keep the release notes as a "live" document
>> on the wiki, so we can easily update it with additional information on
>> known issues as they are found, especially after release?
>
> I see your point, however I disagree.
>
> I think the release doc. for 4.0 is part of the release and should be
> frozen in svn like all other release artifacts. This is done by having it
> as a static web page.

It may be in SVN but it is not part of the release in any formal sense.

> We can then have a "latest information", which are live in wiki.

That could work, especially if we gave a  prominent link from the
Release Notes to the "latest info" wiki page.

-Rob

>> Remember, even if the issue is not caused by AOO code, a new upgrade
>> to a dependent operating system or other 3rd party application can
>> cause new issues to appear at any time.  So keeping  the release notes
>> updated is important.
>
> This issue is highly caused by AOO code, remember the release code is
> tested with a given set of third party libraries and given versions of the
> operating systems.
>
> Release notes reflect the environment tested for the 4.0 release,
> everything that comes later should either be kept in a separate document or
> postponed to a new release.

That is logical, but I'm not sure the user (the target audience for
the Release Notes) would see it the same way. They only care about
accurate info related to their platform and configuration.   The less
searching they can do to find this info, the better.

Posted by janI <ja...@apache.org>.