Posted to dev@hbase.apache.org by Stack <st...@duboce.net> on 2018/08/21 03:08:36 UTC

[DISCUSS] Move to github flow (WAS subtopic of "Rough notes from dev meetup, day after hbaseconasia 2018, saturday morning")

This came up at the recent devs meeting: could we move to github flow
committing to Apache HBase? Do folks want this? If so, what would it take?
What would it look like?

The new gitbox repos at apache allow contribution back into apache via
github tooling: PRs can be merged into apache repos with a click of a
button, github-based comments can show as comments in apache JIRA. The new
hbase-operator-tools and hbase-connector repos are gitbox based. We can run
experiments there with fear of damage to the core.

The justification is that if our project supported PRs and contribution via
github, we could glean more contributors.

Below I repeat two follow-on comments taken from the "Rough notes from dev
meetup, day after hbaseconasia 2018, saturday morning" thread by way of a
kickstart:

From our Josh Elser:

> This [supporting PRs] is something the PMC should take to heart. If we
are excluding
> contributions because of how we choose accept them, we're limiting our own
> growth. Do we have technical reasons (e.g. PreCommit) which we cannot
accept
> PR's or is it just because "we do patches because we do patches"?

By our Sean:

"I don't want to bog down this thread, but there are a ton of
unanswered questions for allowing github PRs.

"The biggest one for me is that JIRA is currently our best hope for an
authoritative place for authorship information. If we're taking PRs
from folks who have GitHub accounts but find ASF JIRA accounts too
burdensome, what are we putting for the author in JIRA? Am I going to
have to look in JIRA before a certain date and in Git after? Or in Git
only if JIRA is set to some "HBase Contributor from GitHub" account?"

Thanks,
St.Ack

Re: [DISCUSS] Move to github flow (WAS subtopic of "Rough notes from dev meetup, day after hbaseconasia 2018, saturday morning")

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.
On Mon, Aug 20, 2018 at 9:30 PM Sean Busbey <bu...@apache.org> wrote:

> A couple of other contribution concerns:
>
> a) Yetus Precommit works with github PRs, but the ASF Jenkins admin
> job that sends requests over to our job that runs the precommit tests
> does not. It's a minor issue (in that collectively we know what has to
> change), but someone will have to do the work.

Good to know. Going by the tone of the above, you don't see this as an
insurmountable obstacle.

> b) We've just started getting better release notes together by using
> Yetus Release Doc Maker. AFAIK it currently only works off of JIRA. I
> know we haven't said anything about not having a JIRA associated with
> changes just because we support github PRs, but it'll be around the
> corner because we'll be duplicating work for those PRs. The two may
> very well stay side-by-site for those who don't have/want GitHub
> accounts, but if anything that makes the situation for "how do I
> gather release notes" more complicated.

The new yetus release notes maker saves RMs hours of wrangling and the
yetus product is just superior all around. Lets not break this smoothing of
the release process.

Its good that we consider a possibly JIRA-less process because it'll be
"just around the corner" after we have PR integration (Or contributors will
be asking "What is JIRA?" as per Andrew's note).

But do you think our not having an answer to the JIRA question precludes
our moving forward per the Josh "stepped" suggestion? (I think I can guess
the answer -- smile).

> c) Are more casual PRs a boon? In addition to HBase I spend time on an
> open source project that relies exclusively on GitHub tooling and I
> lurk on several others. One thing I've noticed is that while the
> number of casual PRs is certainly higher they tend to be "drop off
> PRs"; the engagement for follow up is much lower. Many folks who get
> that PR up on GitHub then don't come back to address requests from
> reviewers. We'll have to pick one or more of closing unresponsive PRs,
> more proactively having committers "fix up" contributions, providing
> more feedback as "follow-on work" instead of something that gets done
> during the review. I personally would favor closing unresponsive PRs
> because it has the least overhead for our already sparse reviewing
> bandwidth.

Yeah. I've seen this. It'll be par up on the new course. Hopefully the
grunt work will be heavily diluted by the new contrib source Andrew's note
suggests.

St.Ack

Posted by Misty Linville <mi...@apache.org>.
Is GitHub integration going to make patch review more palatable and
efficient for reviewers? Maybe we can increase our roster of regular
reviewers by using GitHub.

We can make a bot that looks for things in PR comment text. That way you
could add the JIRA number in a way the bit can pick it up and use it. Maybe
the bot could even attach the patch to the JIRA automatically on new
commits. Kubernetes uses something called Prow and something else called
Blunderbuss for this type of thing.

Posted by Reid Chan <re...@outlook.com>.
Is our goal to add an option(PRs) way for contributions or to replace the jira-patch way?

I supposed to be the former, but looks like the latter.

> Summarizing my feelings: A first-step might be to inch towards some middle
> ground where we allow code-review via PRs, but we still require a Jira issue
> and a patch to trigger QA (and avoid authorship issues, release note issues,
> etc) to "gate" the commit.
>
> That gives us clear next steps:
> 1) Once QA works for PRs automatically, we can remove patch step
> 2) Once Yetus doc-maker can pull from GH, we can skip Jira issues
>
> There's some precedence here with already allowing reviewboard and
> phabricator (in my mind). I would be OK with doing code-review on GH and
> would personally prefer it over all other tools at our disposal.

We already do this today. As with review board and phabricator it
mostly depends on the reviewer(s) you have or want.

For example, when I work on significant doc changes now I put up a PR
because that's how Misty likes to do reviews.

That said, currently the folks who pay attention to outstanding PRs (I
think maybe me and Chia-Ping?) mostly focus on pushing folks to JIRA
and/or closing out unresponsive folks.

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.
It is my impression as mainly a lurker on a bunch of GH based projects,
that there are a ton of younger software developers have no idea that other
options besides Github even exist. We can tell them to open a JIRA, god
forbid attach a patch to JIRA, but they'll shrug and forget about it. They
might not even have any idea what we are talking about. Generating a patch
file and handling it manually would be a (possibly unwelcome) revelation.
So I think if we want to take these kinds of contributions the onus on
doing everything other than interacting on the PR will be on the project
committers. I think ultimately every ASF project is going to have to
implement a pipeline for Github contributions, catering to the expectations
and limitations of contributors who have only interacted with open source
contribution via that platform, or otherwise we accept we've lost a whole
generation of contributors.

--
Best regards,
Andrew

decrepit hands
   - A23, Crosstalk

Posted by Sean Busbey <bu...@apache.org>.

Posted by Josh Elser <el...@apache.org>.

Posted by Sean Busbey <bu...@apache.org>.

Posted by Josh Elser <el...@apache.org>.

Posted by Sean Busbey <bu...@apache.org>.

Posted by Yu Li <ca...@gmail.com>.
Just checked Flink document more carefully, it requires to file a JIRA but
no mention of creating account or assigning to oneself. However, I think
it's OK to require our contributor to create a JIRA account with the same
email address as github account - it requires no big effort and gives
people credit (telling who resolves the issue) - or at least we could make
it a strong recommendation.

Maybe I'm too old to guess the young generation's thought, but I believe
process won't be the obstacle of contributing if one really loves open
source, not to mention it's a one-time effort (smile)

Best Regards,
Yu

Posted by Josh Elser <el...@apache.org>.
Reading between the lines: so, this is just HBase convention to have a
Jira assignee mapping to the change's author, right? We're not concerned
about Jira assignee and its relation to ASF intellectual property
provenance.

If I'm getting this right, I think requiring a Jira account is
unnecessary and us coming up with a convention is fine _if_ we want to
be tracking the number of commits from authors that don't have Jira
accounts. But, I don't see why we would care about such a metric.

Posted by Andrew Purtell <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sean Busbey <bu...@apache.org>.

Posted by Josh Elser <el...@apache.org>.

Posted by Sean Busbey <bu...@apache.org>.
The issue is specific to us being an ASF project. ASF project
repositories can either be set up with "Git WIP" or "Dual Master"[1].
Repositories that use "Git WIP" have their repo mirrored read-only to
GitHub. Repositories that use "Dual Master" have the canonical repo on
GitHub.

Our main project repo is a "Git WIP" one. That means we don't have
write access on GitHub, including merging or closing PRs. Thus the
only way we can close PRs on our main repo is to use the github
integrated commit message handling[2]. Which relies on pushing to the
master branch.

Since our main repo is used to create release artifacts we can only
have committers pushing to it, which precludes having a bot do so.

[1]:
"Dual Master" is also sometimes called "gitbox" because of where the
asf infra side of it lives.

http://git.apache.org/

[2]: https://help.github.com/articles/closing-issues-using-keywords/

Posted by Misty Linville <mi...@apache.org>.

Posted by Misty Linville <mi...@apache.org>.
Here's the code to the bot:

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.
I use JIRA, good point.

--
Best regards,
Andrew

decrepit hands
   - A23, Crosstalk

Posted by Mike Drob <md...@apache.org>.

Posted by Sean Busbey <bu...@apache.org>.

Posted by Misty Linville <mi...@apache.org>.

Posted by Sean Busbey <bu...@apache.org>.
We could require ASF JIRA accounts, but it will definitely keep some
people from contributing. We have no way to measure what the fall off
is because we won't be able to tell those folks apart from those who
don't follow up on the PR for other reasons.

We can't automate closing PRs because the only way to close a PR is by
pushing a commit to our master branch and ASF policy doesn't allow for
non-commiters pushing into the repository if the repository is used to
make release artifacts.

This needn't be a pressing issue. We've had 90 PRs _ever_, so right
now we're only talking about ~2 per month.

Posted by Misty Linville <mi...@apache.org>.

Posted by Yu Li <ca...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andrew Purtell <an...@gmail.com>.
It's on us as committers to ensure Apache policies on code contribution are followed. I think that is the bottom line. Our identities are known to Apache infrastructure and recorded in commit history. By committing we are asserting we believe the provenance of the contribution is known and conforms to Apache policy. If you have concerns then don't commit. Otherwise, it is the same as it always was. Both of Apache's JIRA instance and Github offer self service account signups without any sort of identity verification, only verification that the email account provided is valid and under the control of the contributor.

Posted by Sean Busbey <bu...@apache.org>.