Posted to user@ant.apache.org by Mark McKay <ma...@kitfox.com> on 2005/09/11 23:48:09 UTC

When is Ant 1.7 expected to be released?

Hi,

Just wondering what the expected date is for the Ant 1.7 release.  It
looks like it will have a lot of useful features.

Mark McKay

Re: When is Ant 1.7 expected to be released?

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org>.
Mark McKay wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Just wondering what the expected date is for the Ant 1.7 release.  It
> looks like it will have a lot of useful features.

No particular release date planned. The beta program hasnt started yet,
and there are some other "must-do" things to deal with first, including
  -a solution for local variables in <macrodef>
  -many outstanding patch requests to the various SCM tasks
  -more the rest of the backlog of patches
  -some win98 <property env> bug that the Eclipse team cares about.

I stuck a working build up for download on a use-as-is basis last july:
http://people.apache.org/~stevel/dist/ant/ , partially to go with a talk
on the topic I gave at apachecon. I could stick a more recent one up,
with the caveat that all alpha distributions are inherently unstable. In
particular: while we care about compatibility across releases, any new
feature in an alpha release can be pulled before shipping if we are
unhappy with it.

I've actually made the transition with some parts of my work project
requiring ant1.7alpha, mainly the better <import> rules, in which every
imported target always gets declared as "project.target", even if
"target" is not already defined. This makes it easier for import build
files to explicitly call stuff in their own file, without worrying about
accidental overrides.

If you want to get involved, come on over to the ant-dev mail list.