Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Vincent Stoessel <vi...@xaymaca.com> on 2002/05/06 16:35:37 UTC

Ejb vs jsp

Hello,
Because I am curious about how these technologies are used in the real
world. I would like to know how do you professionals use as your rule of
thumb wether or not you are going build  web based  application using
Enterprise Javabeans or a standalone jsp applications.
Thanks in advance.
--
Vincent Stoessel
Linux Systems Developer

RE: Ejb vs jsp

Posted by Kim Albee <ka...@einsof.com>.
We use JSP with our Java-based content management and collaboration engine,
which is RMI based, not EJB based.  The design of the java beans in our
persistent and manager layer could all be modified to run inside of an EJB
container, however, then there is the added expense of an Application
Server, that may not be necessary.  EJB for the most part, works well when
extending or bringing to the web a legacy system, or something of that
nature.  Or, if there is no overall framework in place for a large scale
development, then having an EJB container would provide many of the common
framework essentials that would otherwise need to be invented.  That way,
developers can focus on the essential building blocks rather than the
internal framework components.

JSP is only for the presentation layer -- we use it to dynamically create
the pages, based on a number of factors.

Kim Albee
Einsof, Inc.
www.einsof.com

> Because I am curious about how these technologies are used in the real
> world. I would like to know how do you professionals use as your rule
> of thumb wether or not you are going build  web based  application using
> Enterprise Javabeans or a standalone jsp applications.
> Thanks in advance.

I use them both.  EJB are used to model information that is based on a
db or other storage services.  I use the JSP as a view to dynamically
create HTML.

--
Daniel Hinojosa
Java & XML: Consultant | Developer | Instructor

Re: Ejb vs jsp

Posted by Daniel Hinojosa <dh...@qwest.net>.

Re: Ejb vs jsp

Posted by Kyrre Lugg <ky...@tomra.no>.
Nikola Milutinovic wrote:

[cut]

> Even now, I
> use regular Beans which do preety much the same job as EJB, only
> simplified. I haven't gotten JBoss up yet, but even with a very simple
> example I find EJBs appealing.

Yes. I also found simple EJB-examples appealing, but when I started
thinking about how to adapt a more complex business model (that takes
advantage of inheritance and polymorphism) to the EJB component model, I
became more unsure.

Other thougths on this?

Kyrre Lugg

Re: Ejb vs jsp

Posted by Nikola Milutinovic <Ni...@ev.co.yu>.
> Hello,
> Because I am curious about how these technologies are used in the real
> world. I would like to know how do you professionals use as your rule of
> thumb wether or not you are going build  web based  application using
> Enterprise Javabeans or a standalone jsp applications.

Why would you build a EJB web application *without* JSP? :-)

Anyway, it is really a rule of thumb and your general mood. Even now, I use regular Beans which do preety much the same job as EJB, only simplified. I haven't gotten JBoss up yet, but even with a very simple example I find EJBs appealing.

Nix.