Posted to user@spark.apache.org by touchdown <yu...@gmail.com> on 2014/12/18 02:14:10 UTC

Re: java.io.NotSerializableException: org.apache.avro.mapred.AvroKey using spark with avro

Yeah, I have the same problem with 1.1.0, but not 1.0.0.

Re: java.io.NotSerializableException: org.apache.avro.mapred.AvroKey using spark with avro

Posted by anish <an...@sigmoidanalytics.com>.
Hi, I had the same problem.

One option (starting with Spark 1.2, which is currently in preview) is to
use the Avro library for Spark SQL.

Other is using Kryo Serialization.
by default spark uses Java Serialization, you can specify kryo serialization
while creating spark context.

val conf = new SparkConf().set("spark.serializer",
"org.apache.spark.serializer.KryoSerializer")
val sc = new SparkContext(conf)

This worked for me.

Regards,
Anish

Re: java.io.NotSerializableException: org.apache.avro.mapred.AvroKey using spark with avro

Posted by "M. Dale" <me...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.
I did not encounter this with my Avro records using Spark 1.10 (see
https://github.com/medale/spark-mail/blob/master/analytics/src/main/scala/com/uebercomputing/analytics/basic/UniqueSenderCounter.scala).

I do use the default Java serialization but all the fields in my Avro
object are Serializable (no bytes/ByteBuffer). Does your Avro schema use
bytes? If so, it seems that is wrapped in ByteBuffer, which is not
Serializable. A quick search has a fix here:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/spark-users/6HQPuxsCe0c

Hope this helps,
Markus