Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Markus Braun <Ma...@krawel.de> on 2004/09/16 14:48:20 UTC

error on "svn diff" on uncommitted links to directories

Hi,

I've been playing around with the versioning of symbolic links in subversion
1.1.0RC2, but I experienced a problem. The command "svn diff" aborts if
there is a added but uncommitted link to a directory in the working copy.
Here is a typescript of a sample session:

    mbr:/tmp$ svnadmin create test
    mbr:/tmp$ svn co file://$PWD/test wc
    Checked out revision 0.
    mbr:/tmp$ cd wc
    mbr:/tmp/wc$ svn mkdir a
    A         a
    mbr:/tmp/wc$ ln -s a b
    mbr:/tmp/wc$ svn add b
    A         b
    mbr:/tmp/wc$ svn status
    A      a
    A      b
    mbr:/tmp/wc$ svn diff
    svn: Can't read file 'b': Is a directory

Is this normal behaviour? I used the following svn version:

    mbr:/tmp/wc$ svn --version
    svn, version 1.1.0 (Release Candidate 2)
       compiled Sep 12 2004, 08:52:03

    Copyright (C) 2000-2004 CollabNet.
    Subversion is open source software, see http://subversion.tigris.org/
    This product includes software developed by CollabNet (http://www.Collab.Net/).

    The following repository access (RA) modules are available:

    * ra_dav : Module for accessing a repository via WebDAV (DeltaV) protocol.
      - handles 'http' schema
      - handles 'https' schema
    * ra_local : Module for accessing a repository on local disk.
      - handles 'file' schema
    * ra_svn : Module for accessing a repository using the svn network protocol.
      - handles 'svn' schema

Markus Braun

--
Any errors in spelling, tact or fact are transmission errors

Re: error on "svn diff" on uncommitted links to directories

Posted by Josh Pieper <jj...@pobox.com>.
Yes, that is a bug.  Thanks for reporting.  I'm pretty sure this used
to work, but I'll try and get a fix in shortly.

-Josh

Markus Braun wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been playing around with the versioning of symbolic links in subversion
> 1.1.0RC2, but I experienced a problem. The command "svn diff" aborts if
> there is a added but uncommitted link to a directory in the working copy.
> Here is a typescript of a sample session:
>
>     mbr:/tmp$ svnadmin create test
>     mbr:/tmp$ svn co file://$PWD/test wc
>     Checked out revision 0.
>     mbr:/tmp$ cd wc
>     mbr:/tmp/wc$ svn mkdir a
>     A         a
>     mbr:/tmp/wc$ ln -s a b
>     mbr:/tmp/wc$ svn add b
>     A         b
>     mbr:/tmp/wc$ svn status
>     A      a
>     A      b
>     mbr:/tmp/wc$ svn diff
>     svn: Can't read file 'b': Is a directory
>
> Is this normal behaviour? I used the following svn version:
>
>     mbr:/tmp/wc$ svn --version
>     svn, version 1.1.0 (Release Candidate 2)
>        compiled Sep 12 2004, 08:52:03
>
>     Copyright (C) 2000-2004 CollabNet.
>     Subversion is open source software, see http://subversion.tigris.org/
>     This product includes software developed by CollabNet (http://www.Collab.Net/).
>
>     The following repository access (RA) modules are available:
>
>     * ra_dav : Module for accessing a repository via WebDAV (DeltaV) protocol.
>       - handles 'http' schema
>       - handles 'https' schema
>     * ra_local : Module for accessing a repository on local disk.
>       - handles 'file' schema
>     * ra_svn : Module for accessing a repository using the svn network protocol.
>       - handles 'svn' schema
>

> Markus Braun
>
> --
> Any errors in spelling, tact or fact are transmission errors

--
Something's rotten in the state of Denmark.
		-- Shakespeare