Posted to jetspeed-user@portals.apache.org by Benjamin Letrou <be...@groupexm.com> on 2004/07/19 17:03:37 UTC

JetSpeed and existing intranet

Hello,

I would like to know if it's possible to integrate its own web
applications in Jetspeed portal ?

For an intranet, I want to put some Java/Struts web applications, Xsql
pages, simple jsp pages and  some perl and php pages.

I need to have a single entry point where the user can log on for the
whole intranet. And according to his profil, let him access only to
authorized applications.

I've the feeling that portals engine do not offer to integrate complex
web applications but only less or more dynamic portlets.
Am I wrong ? Or maybe it's possible to encapsulate any web application
in a portlet ?

Is there a product having these features ? Or a framework with this kind
of API (user/group management, session access,...)

Regards,

Bj

Re: JetSpeed and existing intranet

Posted by Roger Ruttimann <ro...@apache.org>.
Benjamin Letrou wrote:

> Hello,
>

> I would like to know if it's possible to integrate its own web
> applications in Jetspeed portal ?

Of course. The web portal just hosts portlets and *you* can decide what
is rendered in the portlet. Some templates are supported out of the box
(jsp,..) for some others you have to write your own templates.

> For an intranet, I want to put some Java/Struts web applications, Xsql
> pages, simple jsp pages and  some perl and php pages.
>
> I need to have a single entry point where the user can log on for the
> whole intranet. And according to his profil, let him access only to
> authorized applications.

I had the same issue when I started on an IT Dashboard. I had to
integrate existing applications that come in all possible flavors. I'm
about to submit portlets for perl and PHP applications.
Keep in mind that integrating existing applications isn't that straight
forward because:
--> The UI differences that might look like a patchwork inside a portal.
Define a common look and feel.
--> Application specific sign-on. Single sign on is a must. I started on
some generic service for that.

> I've the feeling that portals engine do not offer to integrate complex
> web applications but only less or more dynamic portlets.
> Am I wrong ? Or maybe it's possible to encapsulate any web application
> in a portlet ?

Not true. You can integrate complex applications into a portal but as I
mentioned before not everything is out-of-the-box and requires some
development.