Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Lukasz Felsztukier <L....@digitalone.pl> on 2000/03/15 10:16:59 UTC

Producing HTML from XML + XSL files - howto ?

Hi there
Hi can I accomplish such task using Tomcat (and maybe some more, like Cocoon or
Xerces/Xeles) and Apache?
I want to be able to serve html files from xml and xsl files "mixed" in
real-time (e.g. at client's request, not offline).
Hope I made myself clear enough for you to help me :-)
Cheers,
[ : : ] Lukasz  Felsztukier  : :  I T  D e p a r t m e n t
  : :   d i g i t a l  O n e  : :  interactive  media  agency
  : :   h t t p : / / w w w . d i g i t a l o n e . p l
  : :   Al. Kosciuszki 1, Lodz  : :  tel./fax  [0 42] 632.89.74

Re: Producing HTML from XML + XSL files - howto ?

Posted by Eduardo Pelegri-Llopart <Ed...@eng.sun.com>.
In portable Servlet 2.2/JSP 1.1, the one way I know is to do a new
request, pull in the XML stream from the source and then apply the XSLT
transformation.

"Any day now (tm)", when jakarta-taglibs shows up, there will be an
action in it that implements this.

We want to improve on this for the next version of the JSP and Servlet
specifications.

	- eduard/o

Posted by Rob Walker <Ro...@sympatico.ca>.
From: "Lukasz Felsztukier" <L....@digitalone.pl>

> Hi can I accomplish such task using Tomcat (and maybe some more, like
Cocoon or
> Xerces/Xeles) and Apache?
> I want to be able to serve html files from xml and xsl files "mixed" in
> real-time (e.g. at client's request, not offline).
> Hope I made myself clear enough for you to help me :-)

I put together a very simple example servlet when I started playing with
Xerces/Xalan to show this.  You can see an online demo & source at
http://www.cedarridge.com/xslt.htm

I haven't updated it against the latest builds, but that shouldn't be too
difficult.  It almost certainly isn't the most efficient way of driving them
either.

Rob