Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Gilles <gi...@harfang.homelinux.org> on 2016/12/21 14:36:35 UTC

Re: [all] Clirr or japicmp - does either work foranybody?

On Tue, 20 Dec 2016 16:35:46 +0100, Stefan Bodewig wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm trying to figure out how to get a report on API changes in
> compress.
>
> If I enable Clirr the site build dies with a NullPointerException (I
> vaguely recall it might work if I used Java7, so that might by my
> last
> resort).

In Commons RNG, running
  $ mvn clean site site:stage
will generate the Clirr report(s).  See e.g. in
   target/staging/commons-rng-simple/clirr-report.html

[Building with Java 8 here.]

Regards,
Gilles

Posted by Jörg Schaible <jo...@gmx.de>.
Stefan Bodewig wrote:

> On 2016-12-21, Gilles wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 20 Dec 2016 16:35:46 +0100, Stefan Bodewig wrote:
>>> Hi
>
>>> I'm trying to figure out how to get a report on API changes in
>>> compress.
>
>>> If I enable Clirr the site build dies with a NullPointerException (I
>>> vaguely recall it might work if I used Java7, so that might by my
>>> last
>>> resort).
>
>> In Commons RNG, running
>>  $ mvn clean site site:stage
>> will generate the Clirr report(s).  See e.g. in
>>   target/staging/commons-rng-simple/clirr-report.html
>
>> [Building with Java 8 here.]
>
> Strange, doesn't seem to work for me. Anyway, I've now switched to use
> jacoco and got japicmp to work (will start a new thread for potential
> changes to the parent pom).

We can support both setups in the parent POM using profiles based on file
existence e.g. if the profile in the parent is activated by the existence of
"profile/clirr" every component can activate this profile on its own just by
creating such a dummy file. This does even work for multi-project setups,
because you can trigger the profile even in submodules only.

Cheers,
J�rg

Re: [all] Clirr or japicmp - does either work for anybody?

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On 2016-12-21, Gilles wrote:

> On Tue, 20 Dec 2016 16:35:46 +0100, Stefan Bodewig wrote:
>> Hi

>> I'm trying to figure out how to get a report on API changes in
>> compress.

>> If I enable Clirr the site build dies with a NullPointerException (I
>> vaguely recall it might work if I used Java7, so that might by my
>> last
>> resort).

> In Commons RNG, running
>  $ mvn clean site site:stage
> will generate the Clirr report(s).  See e.g. in
>   target/staging/commons-rng-simple/clirr-report.html

> [Building with Java 8 here.]

Strange, doesn't seem to work for me. Anyway, I've now switched to use
jacoco and got japicmp to work (will start a new thread for potential
changes to the parent pom).

Thanks

        Stefan