Posted to dev@samza.apache.org by Navina Ramesh <nr...@linkedin.com.INVALID> on 2016/07/11 23:02:05 UTC

[NEED COMMENTS] import-control & checkstyle plugin

Hi Samza devs,

Lately, with the major re-works such as standalone, multithreading etc, it
is getting harder to keep track of the package/class dependencies in
import-control.xml.

What I have noticed is that we don't bother removing the class/package
dependencies when it is no longer valid. This is not raised as a fault by
the checkstyle plugin. However, this means that import-control.xml is going
to continuously grow without adding much value.

Does anyone find this particularly useful? Should we consider removing the
import-control verification from checkstyle?

Thanks!
--
Navina R.

Re: [NEED COMMENTS] import-control & checkstyle plugin

Posted by Jacob Maes <ja...@gmail.com>.
I don't particularly mind that it doesn't get cleaned up. Theoretically if
it was once reasonable for one class/package to be referenced within
another, it will continue to be reasonable, even if the code no longer
makes the reference.

That said, import control has been a pain every time we add or move
classes/packages and I think that manual whitelisting step is more of a
pain than it's worth. In its place, I say we be diligent in code reviews to
check imports.

tl;dr +1

Posted by Yi Pan <ni...@gmail.com>.