Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Gary Smith <ga...@holdstead.com> on 2010/04/16 19:08:50 UTC

multiple instances

I have a need to run several different instances of SA on a single box (in development).  In production, we have 3  different SA environments (with 2+ servers each) that have different rule sets and specific routing rules determine which instance it gets sent to.   We need to mimic this in development.

Ideally I would like to create all 3 instances (*2 mimicing load balancing) on a single development box.  We're not worried about the performance or memory aspect.

Is this possible, and if so, is there an easy way to do this.   I was thinking that I could create separate chroot environments for each one if necessary and either bind each instance to an IP (which I'm not sure if that's possible) or at least a different port.

Any advice (or some sample scripts on doing this) would be greatly appreciated.

Gary Smith

RE: multiple instances

Posted by Gary Smith <ga...@holdstead.com>.

> I'm sure it's possible, but rather than going through all the work of
> trying to script and setup chroot environments, why not use VMs?  You
> can then quite literally match the production setup.
>
> Since you are not worried about performance or memory you could give
> each VM 128 MB of RAM and only be using 1 GB or so total...

Dennis,

I had though about that, but the target is a mobile laptop.  Our in house development we do use VM's for almost everything just for this purpose.

Looking into spamd, I think I will just copy the config folder for each instance type and then run the daemon via a bash script to create it against 9 local IP's.

I know for things like MySql some people already have some multi-instance scripts laying around.  Anyway, I think this will suffice for now.

Gary

Re: multiple instances

Posted by "Dennis B. Hopp" <dh...@coreps.com>.