Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org> on 2007/08/06 16:04:50 UTC

[VOTE] Approve release CXF 2.0.1-incubator

We held a vote on cxf-dev@incubator.apache.org to publish a new patch
release of Apache CXF.    This release is mostly a patch release to fix
problems and issues that users have encountered in the 2.0-incubator
release, especially in the migrations from XFire and using various Code
First scenarios.   However, there are a lot of improvements all over the
place with over 60 Jira tasks/bugs completed:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?version=12312401&styleName=Html&projectId=12310511&Create=Create

The vote thread is at:
http://www.nabble.com/-VOTE--Release-CXF-2.0.1-incubator-(take-2)-tf4202970.html

In summary, we have 12 +1 votes,  no 0 or -1 votes.  Breakdown:
1 mentor/IPMC:   jstrachan   (voted too late for the result on the
thread)
1 ASF member (not yet IPMC):   jgenender
10: CXF committers: dkulp, blin, jliu, ubhole, ddiephouse, asmyth,
wjiang, jmao, jma, ffang

The staging area is at:
http://people.apache.org/~dkulp/stage_cxf/2.0.1-incubator_take2/

The distributions are in the "dist" directory.
The "maven_repo" directory contains the stuff that will by pushed
to the m2-incubating-repository.

This release is tagged at:
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/cxf/tags/cxf-2.0.1-incubator/

--
J. Daniel Kulp
Principal Engineer

Re: [VOTE] Approve release CXF 2.0.1-incubator

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
On 8/8/07, Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org> wrote:

> Robert,
>
> I uploaded fixed versions to:
> http://people.apache.org/~dkulp/stage_cxf/2.0.1-incubator_take3

great

i hope to be able to take a look a little later tonight

> The ONLY changes are:
> 1) Fixed the file names on the .asc files for the eclipse plugin so the
> signatures will validate correctly.   (workaround maven bug :-(  )

yep

> 2) Updated the README.txt files in the distributions to include the
> Encryption Notice stuff from the page you sent.    Jim J. is going to
> work on getting the page updated and stuff (since I don't have site
> karma).   (*)

need to find a way to make this easier

> (*)  There are several other Apache projects that have been doing
> releases that should be on that page as well.   WSS4J is an obvious one
> as is the Rampart stuff for Axis 2.   The XML Security project itself
> probably should be.   Definitely implies a lack of knowledge about this
> requirement.

yep

i only just released that it should be possible to use maven/RAT to
perform basic checking. need to find time to use an RDFisation of the
repository data to work out all projects which have this issue. should
be able to create a basic report reasonably quickly.

the release document is definitely at fault. i never seem to find
enough cycles :-/

- robert

Re: [VOTE] Approve release CXF 2.0.1-incubator

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.
On Aug 8, 2007, at 3:02 PM, Daniel Kulp wrote:

> Robert,
>
> I uploaded fixed versions to:
> http://people.apache.org/~dkulp/stage_cxf/2.0.1-incubator_take3
>
> The ONLY changes are:
> 1) Fixed the file names on the .asc files for the eclipse plugin so
> the
> signatures will validate correctly.   (workaround maven bug :-(  )
>
> 2) Updated the README.txt files in the distributions to include the
> Encryption Notice stuff from the page you sent.    Jim J. is going to
> work on getting the page updated and stuff (since I don't have site
> karma).   (*)
>
> The other issues were addressed in my previous email.

+1

Re: [VOTE] Approve release CXF 2.0.1-incubator

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
On 8/8/07, Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org> wrote:

> Robert,

daniel

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.
Robert,

I uploaded fixed versions to:
http://people.apache.org/~dkulp/stage_cxf/2.0.1-incubator_take3

The ONLY changes are:
1) Fixed the file names on the .asc files for the eclipse plugin so the
signatures will validate correctly.   (workaround maven bug :-(  )

2) Updated the README.txt files in the distributions to include the
Encryption Notice stuff from the page you sent.    Jim J. is going to
work on getting the page updated and stuff (since I don't have site
karma).   (*)

The other issues were addressed in my previous email.

Thanks!
Dan

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.
Robert,

Thanks for the review, comments inline.

On Tuesday 07 August 2007 17:34, Robert Burrell Donkin wrote:
> On 8/6/07, Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org> wrote:
> > We held a vote on cxf-dev@incubator.apache.org to publish a new
> > patch release of Apache CXF.
>
> question
> ----------
> i note that bouncycastle is shipped. CXF is not listed on
> http://www.apache.org/licenses/exports/. has someone checked on
> http://www.apache.org/dev/crypto.html that a filing isn't required?

Hmm...  I didn't know about this stuff.    I'll review this more tomorrow
when my brain is more fresh.   I'll assume some of this (like updating
the pages) may require more access than I have so I'll talk to our
mentors about that as well.

> (this is missing from the current documentation :-/
>
> http://people.apache.org/~dkulp/stage_cxf/2.0.1-incubator_take2/maven_
>repo/org/apache/cxf/cxf-testutils/2.0.1-incubator/cxf-testutils-2.0.1-i
>ncubator-sources.jar contains a lot of generated source marked as such
> in the javadocs. it also contains a number of other source which is
> not marked as generated but which is missing the apache header. is
> this all generated?

Most likely yes.   A ran the arat stuff on the real "source" and
everything was OK.

Summary
-------
Notes: 0
Binaries: 0
Archives: 0
Standards: 149

Apache Licensed: 149
Generated Documents: 0

JavaDocs are generated and so license header is optional
Generated files do not required license headers

0 Unknown Licenses

*******************************

This jar has a lot of stuff generated from a bunch of different
methods/tools.   There are JAXB generated thing, wsdl2java generated
things, even .java files created with XSL scripts.

> major issues
> ---------------
> http://people.apache.org/~dkulp/stage_cxf/2.0.1-incubator_take2/maven_
>repo/org/apache/cxf/cxf-eclipse-plugin/2.0.1-incubator/cxf-eclipse-plug
>in-2.0.1-incubator.zip is missing LICENSE, NOTICE, DISCLAIMER

They are there in the plugins/org.apache.cxf_2.0.1-incubator/META-INF
dir.   Since this is an eclipse plugin, we are restricted as to where we
can put them as they need to go someplace that Eclipse won't barf about.
They are ALSO in plugins/org.apache.cxf_2.0.1-incubator/about_files and
there is an about.html file that points to them.    If someone clicks
on "about this plugin" in eclipse, they will get that which will list
all the disclaimers and stuff.

> minor issues
> ---------------
>
> http://people.apache.org/~dkulp/stage_cxf/2.0.1-incubator_take2/maven_
>repo/org/apache/cxf/cxf-eclipse-plugin/2.0.1-incubator/ has some
> misnamed signatures (i think that
> cxf-eclipse-plugin-2.0.1-incubator-.zip.asc  should be
> cxf-eclipse-plugin-2.0.1-incubator.zip.asc)

This is a bug in the maven gpg plugin.   I fixed the maven plugin, just
haven't had time to release that.    It seems to stick an extra "-" at
the end sometimes.   You're correct that just removing the "-" lines the
files up correctly.   I'll rename those in the morning.

Thanks for the review!

Dan

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
On 8/6/07, Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org> wrote:

> We held a vote on cxf-dev@incubator.apache.org to publish a new patch
> release of Apache CXF.

question
----------

http://people.apache.org/~dkulp/stage_cxf/2.0.1-incubator_take2/maven_repo/org/apache/cxf/cxf-eclipse-plugin/2.0.1-incubator/cxf-eclipse-plugin-2.0.1-incubator.zip

http://people.apache.org/~dkulp/stage_cxf/2.0.1-incubator_take2/maven_repo/org/apache/cxf/cxf-eclipse-plugin/2.0.1-incubator/cxf-eclipse-plugin-2.0.1-incubator-sources.jar

[RESULT] [VOTE] Approve release CXF 2.0.1-incubator

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.
This vote has lasted much longer than 72 hours.   We have binding +1
votes from 3 IPMC people and no -1 or 0 votes.   (in addition to the CXF
committer votes)

Binding +1:  Jim Jagielski, Robert Donkin, James Strachan

This vote has passed.   I'm proceeding with the release and moving the
artifacts from the staging area to the release areas.

Thanks to everyone who took the time to look at the release!  Many thanks
to Jim for doing some "release stuff" like updating the exports page
that none of us had the access to do.   I know he's real busy already,
but taking the time to help us out is greatly appreciated.

Dan

--
J. Daniel Kulp
Principal Engineer