Posted to dev@beam.apache.org by Rafael Fernandez <rf...@google.com> on 2018/06/14 20:33:13 UTC

[DISCUSS] Releasing Beam in the presence of emergencies

Hi Beam devs,

Emergencies can and will happen. As Apache Beam adoption continues to grow,
the user community will naturally expect the Beam developer community to
react to critical issues, such as security vulnerabilities in our
dependencies. I want to make sure the dev community is in agreement that we
follow the ASF Vulnerability Handling processes [1] for such occurrences.

In addition, I'd like to discuss cases in which data correctness/loss may
warrant an expedited release (i.e., we did not wait 72 hours), as we did in
2.1.1 [2].  Concretely:

   1.

   Do we need to add anything to our project website so the user community
   knows how we react to such issues?
   2.

   Should we have an entry in the contributor guide to address critical
   point releases, so we eliminate any guesswork in the event of an emergency?
   (Example text [3])

[1]
*https://apache.org/security/committers.html#vulnerability-handling
<https://apache.org/security/committers.html#vulnerability-handling>*

[2] https://lists.apache.org/list.html?dev@beam.apache.org:lte=40M:2.1.1

*[3] Example text for the contributor guideline:What requires a critical
point release? - A data loss bug- A data corruption bug- A processing
correctness bug- For security vulnerabilities, please follow
https://apache.org/security/committers.html#vulnerability-handling
<https://apache.org/security/committers.html#vulnerability-handling> .What
do we do a critical point release on?Our first priority is to stop the
bleeding. We ought to prioritize a point release for the latest Beam
version, based on the release branch, that cherrypicks only the intended
fix. - We've done it before! Remember 2.1.1
<https://lists.apache.org/list.html?dev@beam.apache.org:lte=40M:2.1.1>? -
Since this is a critical release, we can relax our usual 72 hour voting
policy. It worked well for 2.1.1, we should make it repeatable: Propose,
have PMC folks do due diligence on the request, and sign off. Since this is
critical, we may want to have more than one person working on the release.-
Once we get it out, the community can discuss which previous releases would
benefit from a potential point release. Who proposes a critical point
release?Any member of the community. 3 PMC +1 votes are sufficient to get
the process rolling.*

Re: [DISCUSS] Releasing Beam in the presence of emergencies

Posted by Ahmet Altay <al...@google.com>.
Thank you Rafael.

I think it is a good idea to include our commitment, including concrete
steps on our website. This would make it easier for enterprise users to
choose Beam. Even though this is already partially Apache policy and there
is precedence in our project with 2.1.1 release; increasing the visibility
for users would be a positive addition.

I would suggest changing the link in [2] to (
https://lists.apache.org/list.html?dev@beam.apache.org:gte=1d:2.1.1) so
that link does not expire after some time.

Ahmet

Posted by Rafael Fernandez <rf...@google.com>.
Thanks all for the discussion, what I gather is:

(1) Stating the obvious: our release practices and mechanisms match what I
suggested we wrote down in a page. (That's great!). I heard no objections
to affirming our adherence to ASF vulnerability policy.
(2) There are details to be discussed further - specifically, which
releases to fix (which suggests discussion on what a "current" release
could be), and details on who the release manager could be (in the presence
of multiple releases)

So let me propose the following: I'll send a PR to the website for (1), and
for (2), let's organize the discussion along the various axis -- I liked
how Chamikara broke down the space, so we should be able to work along
those lines.

On Sun, Jun 17, 2018 at 1:14 AM Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi guys
>
> If you take back this thread [1], then beam will only support two branches
> and no others.
>
> On the shortcut release cycle it is not really desired at apache and not
> the normal process so the 3 days vote is required but not a blocker IMHO.
> If really an issue the merge can be done quickly on master and you can
> release on your own nexus in 1h. The side note for the asf release manager
> here will be to emphase the diff to let people review it faster. Less
> change there is, easier it is to vote.

​This is a good point to discuss. If we simply state this as valid for any
release, the mechanics are simpler. I suggested breaking u p the
discussions along various axis so we can make progress on each concern --
please bring this up on release mechanics.​

> My question on that process will be for dataflow guys wich often request a
> few more days. Is it ok because dataflow doesnt use multiple versions or
> does it need some work on that side to support a faster support of new beam
> versions?

​I'm not sure what part of the cycle you are referring to - I have seen RCs
taking longer to validate because we discover issues in the service. If
that's the case, I'm happy to share that the team is working on increasing
test coverage in Beam itself so we minimize this class of surprises.

Thanks Romain!

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
Hi guys

Posted by Ravi Prakash <ra...@apache.org>.