Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by Michael Davis <mi...@damaru.com> on 2007/05/02 17:28:47 UTC

wsdl2java -u option question

Hello,

I'm new to Axis. I'm using the latest version, 1.2, and I've created a
simple web service that takes three strings and returns a string.

I created a client using wsdl2java. It works fine, but it creates three
source files that are 5M in size. Is this expected behaviour, or is it
a clue that something's wrong?

If I use the -u option (which unpacks the databinding classes), then the
generated files are all under 30k. (Still large, but much smaller than
5M.) So given that the code is 100x smaller with the -u option, what
functionality gets left out when using it?

Thanks,
Michael Davis
www.damaru.com

Re: wsdl2java -u option question

Posted by Michael Davis <mi...@damaru.com>.
Thanks!

I just noticed, after sending that message, that wsdl2java still
generates 5MB of source code with the -u option, it just spreads it out
over many classes and packages.

I'm still surprised at the quantity of generated code, just to all one
trivial service! I'm not complaining, I'm just baffled. I've looked at
some random generated classes and see nothing specific to my service.

cheers
Michael Davis

Posted by Amila Suriarachchi <am...@gmail.com>.
On 5/2/07, Michael Davis <mi...@damaru.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm new to Axis. I'm using the latest version, 1.2, and I've created a
> simple web service that takes three strings and returns a string.
>
> I created a client using wsdl2java. It works fine, but it creates three
> source files that are 5M in size. Is this expected behaviour, or is it
> a clue that something's wrong?
>
> If I use the -u option (which unpacks the databinding classes), then the
> generated files are all under 30k. (Still large, but much smaller than
> 5M.) So given that the code is 100x smaller with the -u option, what
> functionality gets left out when using it?

nothing. The compact version is use full if you concern about the number of
classes.

Thanks,
> Michael Davis
> www.damaru.com