Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org> on 2016/12/30 01:54:02 UTC

Page for gathering CFP submissions

All,

The IPMC (and Press department) will be announcing soon a CFP for a new
Incubator logo.  I'd like to solicit some input on a page and set of
instructions to follow to gather these submissions.  The page I've put
together is here: http://incubator.staging.apache.org/2017-logo-contest.html

I put together a sample submission here:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INCUBATOR-141

Please feel free to review, critique, test it and let me know what should
change.

John

Re: Page for gathering CFP submissions

Posted by Sally Khudairi <sk...@apache.org>.
Fantastic. Thank you, John.
Regarding voting/selection, my intent was for the general public let us know what their favorite(s) were, then the Incubator PMC (or a subset/committee) would decide on the final direction. Similar to how we did the ASF logo (Member review/feedback, followed by selection).
Does that make sense? Would you prefer something else?
-Sally = = = = =  vox +1 617 921 8656gvox +1 646 598 4616skype sallykhudairi

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Sally Khudairi <sk...@apache.org>.

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.
Sally,

Posted by Sally Khudairi <sk...@apache.org>.
OK thanks, John. I'll get on this today.
Chat soon,Sally

[From the mobile; please excuse top-posting, spelling/spacing errors, and brevity]

  On Sun, Jan 1, 2017 at 11:18, John D. Ament<jo...@apache.org> wrote:   Sally
The only call out I have on the blog post is to keep the links in tact.  This way users can just click through to get to resources.
I've published the incubator site, so the page is now available in production as https://incubator.apache.org/2017-logo-contest.html

John
On Sat, Dec 31, 2016 at 2:59 PM Sally Khudairi <sk...@apache.org> wrote:

Thoughts? Preferences?
Shall I post the full call on blogs.apache.org  and point to the upload instructions at incubator.apache.org? If so, please forward the URL so I can link.
I'll also send you the link to the blog post so we can point to each other.
If not, please let me know how you'd like to proceed.
Thanks,Sally = = = = =  vox +1 617 921 8656gvox +1 646 598 4616skype sallykhudairi

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.
Sally

<http://incubator.apache.org/2017-logo-contest.html>

Posted by Sally Khudairi <sk...@apache.org>.
Let's try that link again https://docs.google.com/document/d/1EHB06pruX7l9NTIWDrxUC8sp3n6XoEO0HxcgRW0vZ3Y/edit?usp=sharing
Do let me know if you're still having a problem.

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.
Sally,

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Dec 29, 2016 at 9:37 PM Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>
wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 29, 2016 at 6:26 PM, John D. Ament <jo...@apache.org>
> wrote:
> > On Thu, Dec 29, 2016 at 9:14 PM Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>
> > wrote:

> >> Can you elaborate?
> >>

> > There's a permission that allows a user to attach a file and a permission
> > that would allow you to be the only one to modify your own attachment.
> I'd
> > rather not change the latter permission on the incubator JIRA, but I
> guess
> > if we wanted to we could request a new JIRA project just to capture this.
>
> I still don't understand -- the only issue here is to be able to
> essentially
> "append" new submissions. Just for kicks I tried doing it with the JIRA
> you created using a brand new account (created 2 minutes ago). It worked
> like a charm:
>    https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INCUBATOR-141

When you mouse over the attachments, do you see the delete icon (trash bin)?

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.
wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 29, 2016 at 6:08 PM, John D. Ament <jo...@apache.org>
> wrote:
> > That doesn't work well from a permission standpoint.
>
> Can you elaborate?

There's a permission that allows a user to attach a file and a permission
that would allow you to be the only one to modify your own attachment.  I'd
rather not change the latter permission on the incubator JIRA, but I guess
if we wanted to we could request a new JIRA project just to capture this.

> > Do you see any harm
> > in requesting a ticket per submission, or an author updating the ticket
> w/
> > new attachments?
>
> Its not a huge deal, but it makes it a bit more daunting for somebody who's
> new to JIRA. Giving a link to an existing JIRA and saying click Attach
> is easier than explaining the JIRA creation process. Also, I seriously knew
> ppl. who would obsess about creating a new ticket for an open source
> project.

I've seen this problem as well.  But I've only seen this problem in
developers.  The logo CFP is more targeted at creative types so I think
that's going to be less of a challenge.  Considering the non-technical
nature of the incubator, I don't suspect this is going to be a big deal.

> It also is a tad more difficult to track and it doesn't allow for
> submitters to see
> each other's submissions easily (which creates a positive reinforcement
> effect).

I can include this link on the page to view all current submissions.

https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?filter=12339142

Its a public filter for all of the submissions.

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.
That doesn't work well from a permission standpoint.  Do you see any harm

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.