Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by charlene lee <ch...@yahoo.com.au> on 2006/11/20 04:48:30 UTC

[users@httpd] Could I have some help on installing Apache SSL

Dear Apache Groups,

 Is it possible to get some help on how to install Apache with SSL version  2.2.3. It is said that with this version of Apache it already comes with SSL.

 What are the steps to follow to install, compile, configure  and enable SSL with this version?

 This is the error I get when I tried to install  and configure  Apache with SSL version 2.2.3:

 It saids that it cannot find the Toolkit .
 configure: error: ... No recognized SSL/TLS toolkit detected.

 The steps I took to configure was I added the --enable-ssl command to the configuration step:

 ./configure --prefix=/home/httpd --enable-ssl --enable-module=so

 Yours Sincerely,

 Charlene L.

Re: [users@httpd] Could I have some help on installing Apache SSL

Posted by charlene lee <ch...@yahoo.com.au>.
Your guess is absolutely correct! I am running Linux Slackware 10.2.
  Where could I get hold of a copy of "openssl-dev package" and the "SSL library" please? Could I find them on the www.openssl.org website?

  You mentioned "Ubuntu". Do you mean www.ubuntu.com?

Also if I want to implement digest authentication after installing Apache.

  Is it necessary to include the "--enable-auth-digest" directive during the Apache configuration process?

  e.g.

  ./configure --enable-auth-digest --prefix=/home/httpd --enable-ssl --enable-module=so

  What if I failed to include the "--enable-auth-digest" directive during configuration process? Will it be still possible to implement digest authentication after the installation?

  If I go to the ubunto website and found the files indicated by you:

  libssl
libssl-dev
openssl

  Are they compatible with Linux Slackware 10.2?
  Does it have a compatibility problem with any particular version of Linux, Apache, PHP and mySQL?

  Do you by chance happen to know which version of PHP works best with which version of MySQL?

  Thanks in Advance.

  Sander Temme <sc...@apache.org> wrote:
  Hey Charlene,

On Nov 19, 2006, at 7:48 PM, charlene lee wrote:

> It saids that it cannot find the Toolkit .
> configure: error: ... No recognized SSL/TLS toolkit detected.

There are two possibilities: your installation is lacking OpenSSL or,
if you are running Linux, it's lacking the openssl-dev package.

What we ship is mod_ssl, the module that wraps the HTTP protocol in
SSL or TLS encryption. We don't ship the SSL library itself, but
instead require that one is installed. We support OpenSSL and (I
think, but haven't tried) RSA ssl-c.

You don't tell us which platform you are using, but on Linux packages
tend to be split up into a user part (openssl in our case) and a
developer part. You need both and configure will fail with the above
message if it can't find the -dev package. For instance, on Ubuntu
you'll want

libssl
libssl-dev
openssl

installed before you build Apache.

> The steps I took to configure was I added the --enable-ssl command
> to the configuration step:
>
> ./configure --prefix=/home/httpd --enable-ssl --enable-module=so

That's spot on. If you have your OpenSSL installation installed
somewhere on your system but not in the default /usr or /usr/local or
so, you should point to it using --with-ssl=/path/to/your/openssl .

S.

--
sctemme@apache.org http://www.temme.net/sander/
PGP FP: 51B4 8727 466A 0BC3 69F4 B7B8 B2BE BC40 1529 24AF

Re: [users@httpd] Could I have some help on installing Apache SSL

Posted by charlene lee <ch...@yahoo.com.au>.

Posted by Sander Temme <sc...@apache.org>.
Hey Charlene,

Posted by charlene lee <ch...@yahoo.com.au>.
Yes. We have openSSL installed.

  It was during installing Apache that's when we got that error message saying that it cannot find the Toolkit.

Richard de Vries <ri...@yahoo.com> wrote:
  Do you have openSSL installed?

Sponsored Link

Mortgage rates near 39yr lows.
$420k for $1,399/mo. Calculate new payment!
www.LowerMyBills.com/lre

Re: [users@httpd] Could I have some help on installing Apache SSL

Posted by charlene lee <ch...@yahoo.com.au>.
Yes. We have openSSL installed.

  First we installed openSSL and all went well.
  Then we tried to install Apache and it was during installing Apache that's when we got that error message saying that it cannot find the Toolkit.