Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Max Bowsher <ma...@ukf.net> on 2005/11/16 16:31:30 UTC

Tarball naming (-nodeps or -withdeps)

Re: Tarball naming (-nodeps or -withdeps)

Posted by Nicolás Lichtmaier <ni...@reloco.com.ar>.
>... we should produce tarballs named:
>
>subversion-1.3.0.tar.bz2
>subversion-1.3.0-withdeps.tar.bz2

Why not?

subversion-1.3.0.tar.bz2
subversion-1.3.0-deps.tar.bz2

I mean: Package the dependencies in a separate tarfile, so that if
someone downloads the first, it can easily download the other one and
untar over the old. And this way you don't have duplicate files.

Re: Tarball naming (-nodeps or -withdeps)

Posted by Max Bowsher <ma...@ukf.net>.

Re: Tarball naming (-nodeps or -withdeps)

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@xbc.nu>.
Max Bowsher wrote:
> (2) I'd like to hope that at some point in the future, we could stop
> shipping dependencies entirely.
99.9% of Windows boxes where people want to build Subversion won't have
APR installed. 100% of Windows boxes where people want to build
Subversion must have APR sources, because the Windows build (currently)
needs them.

Not that this can't be changed, just pointing out the realities.

-- Brane

Re: Tarball naming (-nodeps or -withdeps)

Posted by Julian Foad <ju...@btopenworld.com>.
Julian Foad wrote:
> As for the Windows version, where apparently the deps are almost always
> wanted, I suggest just producing one tarball which has the deps (don't
[...]

Oops - you probably already do that.  I got the wrong end of the stick reading
Brane's message.

- Julian

Re: Tarball naming (-nodeps or -withdeps)

Posted by Max Bowsher <ma...@ukf.net>.

Re: Tarball naming (-nodeps or -withdeps)

Posted by Julian Foad <ju...@btopenworld.com>.
Max Bowsher wrote:

> I think we should, instead of producing tarballs named:
>
> subversion-1.3.0-nodeps.tar.bz2
> subversion-1.3.0.tar.bz2
>
> ... we should produce tarballs named:
>
> subversion-1.3.0.tar.bz2
> subversion-1.3.0-withdeps.tar.bz2
>

> This accomplishes two things:

+1.

As for the Windows version, where apparently the deps are almost always wanted,
I suggest just producing one tarball which has the deps (don't know whether its
name should indicate that) and not producing a version without deps.  (There's
no point in producing and testing an extra version just for symmetry or
theoretical niceness if it's hardly ever going to be used.)

- Julian