Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by "matthew.hawthorne" <ma...@apache.org> on 2004/08/27 20:39:25 UTC

[io] Re: ProcessUtils and support classes offer

Cris Perdue wrote:
> The purpose of the main ProcessUtils class is to make it simpler to call
> external programs and receive the results back.  It was inspired
> especially by the TCL exec function and also resembles the Perl backtick
> operator.  A simple call to "df" using the simplest form of call could
> look something like:
>
> String filestats = ProcessUtils.exec(new String[] {"df"});
>
> The package handles program output to "standard error" and nonzero exit
> codes.

This may be a good fit for commons-io
(http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/io/).   A class like ProcessUtils
seems interesting, but it would definitely need some extensive testing
on different platforms to make sure it's OK.

Consider submitting your stuff as a Bugzilla enhancement, so that  the
commons-io developers can take a look when they
get a chance.

I believe the javadocs state that ProcessUtils throws an exception if
anything is written to stderr.  I would like it if this were
customizable, since a lot of programs write warnings and such to stderr,
but still keep on running.  Perhaps it could become
some type of callback mechanism.