Posted to xindice-dev@xml.apache.org by "Vladimir R. Bossicard" <vl...@bossicard.com> on 2002/10/23 00:40:58 UTC

[VOTE] Build process

I plan to define the following build process for Xindice and would like
to have the vote of other committers before I get flamed :-)

[ ] introduction of the 'dist' directory where generated files are saved.

[ ] generation of the jar/war files into the 'dist' directory
           xindice-1.1.jar
           xindice-1.1.war
        note that the xindice.jar is moved from the 'java/lib' directory.
It will IMO prevent any classpath issues during the development (e.g.
compiling/running against an old code)

[ ] generation of the release files into the 'dist' directory.  All the
releases contain the LICENSE and README files
           xindice-1.1-src.[tar.gz|zip]
           xindice-1.1-bin.[tar.gz|zip]
           xindice-1.1-war.[tar.gz|zip]

[ ] remove ant.jar from the java/lib directory (users will have to
install ant-1.5.1 or use other build tools).

[ ] remove bin/ant|ant.bat|antRun|antRun.bat from the bin directory

[ ] delete the build.bat file (doesn't make sense if build.sh is not
provided)

-Vladimir

--
Vladimir R. Bossicard
www.bossicard.com

Re: [VOTE] Build process

Posted by James Bates <ja...@amplexor.com>.
Seems fine to me
+1

Re: [VOTE] Build process

Posted by Gianugo Rabellino <gi...@apache.org>.
Vladimir R. Bossicard wrote:
> I plan to define the following build process for Xindice and would like
> to have the vote of other committers before I get flamed :-)
>
> [+1*] introduction of the 'dist' directory where generated files are saved.
>
> [+1] generation of the jar/war files into the 'dist' directory
>           xindice-1.1.jar
>           xindice-1.1.war
>        note that the xindice.jar is moved from the 'java/lib' directory.
> It will IMO prevent any classpath issues during the development (e.g.
> compiling/running against an old code)

*: But adjust the batch files and scrips accordingly

> [-0] generation of the release files into the 'dist' directory.  All the
> releases contain the LICENSE and README files
>           xindice-1.1-src.[tar.gz|zip]
>           xindice-1.1-bin.[tar.gz|zip]
>           xindice-1.1-war.[tar.gz|zip]

> [-0] remove ant.jar from the java/lib directory (users will have to
> install ant-1.5.1 or use other build tools).
>
> [-0] remove bin/ant|ant.bat|antRun|antRun.bat from the bin directory
>
> [-0] delete the build.bat file (doesn't make sense if build.sh is not
> provided)

Reason: I think that size of the source distribution vs. ease of use is
not that big matter.

Ciao,

--
Gianugo Rabellino

Re: [VOTE] Build process

Posted by "Vladimir R. Bossicard" <vl...@bossicard.com>.
Any feedback?

-Vladimir

--
Vladimir R. Bossicard
www.bossicard.com

RE: [VOTE] Build process

Posted by David Viner <dv...@yahoo-inc.com>.
[+1] introduction of the 'dist' directory where generated files are saved.
[+1] generation of the jar/war files into the 'dist' directory
[+1] generation of the release files into the 'dist' directory.
[-0] remove ant.jar from the java/lib directory
[-0] remove bin/ant|ant.bat|antRun|antRun.bat from the bin directory
[-0] delete the build.bat file

i like the cleanliness of the 'dist' idea.
i like not having to worry about installing my own ant, and i like typing
'build' or 'build war'.

dave

Re: [VOTE] Build process

Posted by Fernando Padilla <fe...@interdimensions.com>.
Hello guys.  I'm sorry for not being able to deal with the xindice mailing
list these last few weeks - becuase of work.  But I'm back, and I should
have more time for the project.  Geez, no activity before I go, I go away
for a few weeks, and presto, new developers, lots of action..

I vote +1 for everything below.

On Ant:
I've been wanting to get rid of ant since the very beginning, but Kimbro
never wanted to, he said that it was useful to have ( for him ), for
machines that he hadn't setup his development environment on yet..

But if ant is not removed, then I +1 the consolidation of ant in it's own
directory...  Though, we do have one class that implements an ant Task, so
I guess it depends on the ant.jar for compilation.