Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Howard Bryden <hd...@emergency.qld.gov.au> on 2008/01/24 01:23:15 UTC

svnadmin verify reports a clean repository, but IDE complains anyway

Folks,

Being a newbie to Subversion administration (having just installed it),
our developers are reporting an intermittent problem.

Host OS:	HP-UX 11.23 (Itanium)
Subversion:	1.3.1
Backend:	BDB 4.4.20
IDE:		IntelliJ IDEA 6.0
Client:		TortoiseSVN 1.4.3

Other runtime dependencies:
expat		2.0.0
gdbm		1.8.3
gettext	0.15
libgcc		4.1.1
libiconv	1.10
zlib		1.2.3

Subversion, DB and the dependency products were installed from the
builds downloaded from the HP Porting and Archive Centre at
http://hpux.connect.org.uk/.

The DB_CONFIG file in the repository directory has the following
contents:

set_lk_max_locks   2000
set_lk_max_lockers 2000
set_lk_max_objects 2000

set_lg_bsize     262144
set_lg_max      1048576
set_lg_regionmax 131072
set_cachesize    0 1048576 1
set_flags DB_LOG_AUTOREMOVE

Basically we're seeing intermittent reports from the IDE of the form
jetbrains.buildServer.vcs.VcsException: Checking changes for checkout
rule '.=>.' failed with erorr: Cannot request dated revision from svn:
svn: Berkeley DB error for filesystem /descl/fims_dev/svn/db while
opening environment:
DB_RUNRECOVERY: Fatal error, run database recovery
svn: bdb: PANIC: fatal region error detected; run recovery
at
jetbrains.buildServer.vcs.VcsSupportUtil.collectBuildChanges(VcsSupportU
til.java:12)
at
jetbrains.buildServer.buildTriggers.vcs.svn.SvnSupport.collectBuildChang
es(SvnSupport.java:106)
at
jetbrains.buildServer.buildTriggers.vcs.VcsChangesLoader.collectBuildCha
nges(VcsChangesLoader.java:0)
at
jetbrains.buildServer.buildTriggers.vcs.VcsChangesLoader.loadChanges(Vcs
ChangesLoader.java:79)
at
jetbrains.buildServer.vcs.impl.VcsManagerImpl.loadChanges(VcsManagerImpl
.java:411)
at
jetbrains.buildServer.vcs.impl.VcsManagerImpl.checkForModifications(VcsM
anagerImpl.java:270)
at
jetbrains.buildServer.serverSide.impl.auth.SecuredVcsManager.checkForMod
ifications(SecuredVcsManager.java:17)
at
jetbrains.buildServer.serverSide.impl.VcsModificationChecker$1.run(VcsMo
dificationChecker.java:4)
at
java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Executors.java:417)
at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask$Sync.innerRun(FutureTask.java:269)
at
java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.runTask(ThreadPoolExecuto
r.java:650)
at
java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.ja
va:675)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:595)
Caused by: jetbrains.buildServer.vcs.VcsException: Cannot request dated
revision from svn: svn: Berkeley DB error for filesystem
/descl/fims_dev/svn/db while opening environment:
DB_RUNRECOVERY: Fatal error, run database recovery
svn: bdb: PANIC: fatal region error detected; run recovery
at
jetbrains.buildServer.buildTriggers.vcs.svn.SvnConnection.getRevision(Sv
nConnection.java:400)
at
jetbrains.buildServer.buildTriggers.vcs.svn.SvnConnection.getEntries(Svn
Connection.java:117)
at
jetbrains.buildServer.buildTriggers.vcs.svn.SvnConnection.addChanges(Svn
Connection.java:148)
at
jetbrains.buildServer.buildTriggers.vcs.svn.SvnSupport.collectBuildChang
es(SvnSupport.java:6)
at
jetbrains.buildServer.vcs.VcsSupportUtil.collectBuildChanges(VcsSupportU
til.java:1)
... 13 more
Caused by: org.tmatesoft.svn.core.SVNException: svn: Berkeley DB error
for filesystem /descl/fims_dev/svn/db while opening environment:
DB_RUNRECOVERY: Fatal error, run database recovery
svn: bdb: PANIC: fatal region error detected; run recovery
at
org.tmatesoft.svn.core.internal.wc.SVNErrorManager.error(SVNErrorManager
.java:55)
at
org.tmatesoft.svn.core.internal.wc.SVNErrorManager.error(SVNErrorManager
.java:40)
at
org.tmatesoft.svn.core.internal.io.svn.SVNReader.parse(SVNReader.java:28
8)
at
org.tmatesoft.svn.core.internal.io.svn.SVNConnection.read(SVNConnection.
java:210)
at
org.tmatesoft.svn.core.internal.io.svn.SVNConnection.authenticate(SVNCon
nection.java:93)
at
org.tmatesoft.svn.core.internal.io.svn.SVNRepositoryImpl.authenticate(SV
NRepositoryImpl.java:997)
at
org.tmatesoft.svn.core.internal.io.svn.SVNRepositoryImpl.openConnection(
SVNRepositoryImpl.java:975)
at
org.tmatesoft.svn.core.internal.io.svn.SVNRepositoryImpl.getDatedRevisio
n(SVNRepositoryImpl.java:159)
at
jetbrains.buildServer.buildTriggers.vcs.svn.SvnConnection.getRevision(Sv
nConnection.java:135)
... 17 more
jetbrains.buildServer.vcs.VcsException: Cannot request dated revision
[...]
org.tmatesoft.svn.core.SVNException: svn: Berkeley DB error for
[...]

So I ran svnadmin verify, but all (5534) revisions apparently checked
out okay (i.e. all I saw were reports of the form * Verified revision
n.).  I also ran svnadmin lstxns and svnadmin lslocks on the repository,
but neither command reported anything.

So while the verification tool reckons I have a sound repository, the
IDE intermittently complains.  Presently my guess is to
a) Actually attempt a recovery as the diagnostic suggests.
b) Try an upgrade of the BDB database to the latest release (4.6.21).
c) Try an upgrade of Subversion to the latest release (1.4.6).
d) Try the FSFS database backend.

Any ideas etc. gratefully received.

Thanks.

Howard Bryden,
UNIX Administrator,
Qld. Govt. Dept. of Emergency Services,
Tel. 07 3109 5087

----------------------------------
Rocket J. Squirrel: "... we're going to have to think!"
Bullwinkle J. Moose: "There must be an easier way than that."

This correspondence is for the named persons only. It may contain confidential or privileged information or both. No confidentiality or privilege is waived or lost by any mis transmission. If you receive this correspondence in error please delete it from your system immediately and notify the sender. You must not disclose, copy or relay on any part of this correspondence, if you are not the intended recipient. Any opinions expressed in this message are those of the individual sender except where the sender expressly, and with the authority, states them to be the opinions of the Department of Emergency Services, Queensland.

Re: svnadmin verify reports a clean repository, but IDE complains anyway

Posted by Ulrich Eckhardt <ec...@satorlaser.com>.
On Thursday 24 January 2008, Howard Bryden wrote:
> Berkeley DB error for filesystem /descl/fims_dev/svn/db while opening
> environment: DB_RUNRECOVERY: Fatal error, run database recovery
> svn: bdb: PANIC: fatal region error detected; run recovery

Typically, I'd expect 'svnadmin recover' to help here. What puzzles me is the
fact that you say it is a new repository from a new installation of SVN.
Firstly, that installation wouldn't have created a BDB repository but an FSFS
one. So, if that repository is in fact much older, it might have been created
with an older BDB version and 'svnadmin recover' is just the right thing to
do (You do have backups, right?).

Secondly, I would check file permissions. If you created the repository as
user X and then accessed it with user Y (e.g. Y = root) using the file://
URL, you might have screwed up file permissions. Note that even reading
actually requires and uses write permissions on the repository!

> So while the verification tool reckons I have a sound repository, the
> IDE intermittently complains.  Presently my guess is to
> a) Actually attempt a recovery as the diagnostic suggests.
> b) Try an upgrade of the BDB database to the latest release (4.6.21).
> c) Try an upgrade of Subversion to the latest release (1.4.6).
> d) Try the FSFS database backend.

Option d) sounds appealing, and I wonder why (if?) you chose DBD in the first
place. However, I have never had any big problems with BDB backends, even
across BDB upgrades, except that I couldn't use one created with Linux/x86 on
a machine running Linux/PPC, but that is expected and easily worked around.

One more thing: can you reproduce the problems via the commandline instead of
the IDE? It would be much nicer if you could rule out that point of failure.

cheers

Uli

Sator Laser GmbH
Geschäftsführer: Michael Wöhrmann, Amtsgericht Hamburg HR B62 932

           Visit our website at <http://www.satorlaser.de/>
Diese E-Mail einschließlich sämtlicher Anhänge ist nur für den Adressaten bestimmt und kann vertrauliche Informationen enthalten. Bitte benachrichtigen Sie den Absender umgehend, falls Sie nicht der beabsichtigte Empfänger sein sollten. Die E-Mail ist in diesem Fall zu löschen und darf weder gelesen, weitergeleitet, veröffentlicht oder anderweitig benutzt werden.
E-Mails können durch Dritte gelesen werden und Viren sowie nichtautorisierte Änderungen enthalten. Sator Laser GmbH ist für diese Folgen nicht verantwortlich.