Posted to dev@jackrabbit.apache.org by Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu> on 2013/06/20 10:37:18 UTC

Re: [OT] Donation of Adobe's "File Vault" and packaging tools

On 05/03/2013 07:19 PM, Tobias Bocanegra wrote:
> Hello,
>
> as some of you might know, we at Adobe (and at Day Software before)
> developed quite some tooling around exporting, importing and syncing
> content from and to a JCR repository. The "checked-out" structure on
> the local filesystem also offers SVN-like operations, like update,
> checkin, status, etc., against the JCR repository. We called this
> system the "File Vault (vlt)". It uses the built-in JCR remoting of
> Jackrabbit to read and write the content.
>
> We also used the same serialization format to implement our "Content
> Packages" which basically are a zip of such an exported structure, w/o
> all the meta information needed for syncing. This packaging system
> also comes with a HTTP service and UI that allows to actually manage
> those packages (create, update, install, uninstall, upload, etc).
>
> Additionally we also developed some maven plugins that allow building
> such content packages, controlling vlt (the command line tool) and
> deploying content packages into a running repository.
>
> Our R&D thinks that the Jackrabbit project would benefit from such
> tooling since nothing comparable is established today. We are now at a
> stage where we cleared all hurdles with Adobe Legal, and streamlined
> the codebase so that we are ready to contribute. All that's left to do
> from our side is to refactor the java package space and replace the
> copyrights.
>
> Once contributed, we will continue developing the tools, as we heavily
> use them in-house and also train our customers and partners on this
> technology. IMO, there is little risk, that the code gets orphaned.
>
> If the general consensus is that such a contribution is desired, I
> will prepare the final patch and offer it for contribution.
>
> The rough schedule is:
>
> May: prepare patch and offer contribution of vlt, packaging, maven plugins
> June: prepare patch and offer contribution of package manager and
> related maven plugins

I was wondering what the status for this is?

Thanks, Ate

Posted by Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu>.
On 06/28/2013 02:29 AM, Tobias Bocanegra wrote:
> Hi,
>
> But Jackrabbit is no longer in the incubator phase :-)
> i'll try to get more information before hitting 'svn ci'.

The incubator ip-clearance page isn't about projects but specifically for code
donations for an established project, so for use-cases like this one.

Basic thing is following the steps and submit an ip-clearance form template [1].

The instructions indicate you should provide a source archive containing the
donated code first (with a checksum), have it voted upon by the project PMC
(before or after the ip-clearance) and only thereafter can do an 'svn ci' ...

It might be worthwhile to read the recent thread on general@incubator.org on
"[IP CLEARANCE] BigCouch" [2] about some wrong wording in the before mentioned
form template [1] concerning copyright transfer (which is incorrect).
Especially responses [3] and [4] are useful. Note that it only concerns the
template (so applicable here too), NOT the donation for BigCouch.

The BigCouch ip-clearance submission [5] might be helpful as an example too.

Success and looking forward to the donation!

Regards, Ate

[1] http://incubator.apache.org/ip-clearance/ip-clearance-template.html
[2] http://markmail.org/message/a5ah3av2gkkytwfu
[3] http://markmail.org/message/nvyujol44wzjdimi
[4] http://markmail.org/message/xbtnxvvxf4jptnnv
[5] http://incubator.apache.org/ip-clearance/couchdb-bigcouch.html

Posted by Tobias Bocanegra <tr...@bocanegra.ch>.
Hi,

Posted by Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu>.

Posted by Felix Meschberger <fm...@adobe.com>.
Hi

Posted by Tobias Bocanegra <tr...@bocanegra.ch>.
Hi,

On Thu, Jun 20, 2013 at 10:37 AM, Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu> wrote:
> On 05/03/2013 07:19 PM, Tobias Bocanegra wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> as some of you might know, we at Adobe (and at Day Software before)
>> developed quite some tooling around exporting, importing and syncing
>> content from and to a JCR repository. The "checked-out" structure on
>> the local filesystem also offers SVN-like operations, like update,
>> checkin, status, etc., against the JCR repository. We called this
>> system the "File Vault (vlt)". It uses the built-in JCR remoting of
>> Jackrabbit to read and write the content.
>>
>> We also used the same serialization format to implement our "Content
>> Packages" which basically are a zip of such an exported structure, w/o
>> all the meta information needed for syncing. This packaging system
>> also comes with a HTTP service and UI that allows to actually manage
>> those packages (create, update, install, uninstall, upload, etc).
>>
>> Additionally we also developed some maven plugins that allow building
>> such content packages, controlling vlt (the command line tool) and
>> deploying content packages into a running repository.
>>
>> Our R&D thinks that the Jackrabbit project would benefit from such
>> tooling since nothing comparable is established today. We are now at a
>> stage where we cleared all hurdles with Adobe Legal, and streamlined
>> the codebase so that we are ready to contribute. All that's left to do
>> from our side is to refactor the java package space and replace the
>> copyrights.
>>
>> Once contributed, we will continue developing the tools, as we heavily
>> use them in-house and also train our customers and partners on this
>> technology. IMO, there is little risk, that the code gets orphaned.
>>
>> If the general consensus is that such a contribution is desired, I
>> will prepare the final patch and offer it for contribution.
>>
>> The rough schedule is:
>>
>> May: prepare patch and offer contribution of vlt, packaging, maven plugins
>> June: prepare patch and offer contribution of package manager and
>> related maven plugins
>

> I was wondering what the status for this is?

being buried in day-to-day work the last months, I just now completed
the preparation for the contribution. I need one or 2 more days to
find the best way for contributing (e.g. big patch vs. direct SVN
commits).

sorry for the delay, but it looks like the above timeline shifted by 1 month.

>> Along the same notes we also look into simplifying "vlt" as it is
>> sometimes a bit tricky to use :-) This development will start after
>> the contribution and we hope to have something usable by end of this
>> year.

regards, toby