Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Jesse Erlbaum <je...@erlbaum.net> on 2002/08/30 01:47:08 UTC

mod_perl & mod_php

Hi Ufuk --

> Well what you said is true. I actuallay had perl 5.6.1 but I
> tried to use an
> old httpd executable compiled with 5.6.0. Adding directories to @INC would
> help me but each time before I would start httpd, I'd have to do that.
> Instead I recompiled mod_perl/apache/ssl/php bundle. And that helped (for
> sure)

I notice that you are using mod_perl AND mod_php.

I have a general question for the list:  Do people often use BOTH of these
environments at the same time?  It seems to me that there would be little
benefit to using both.  Am I mistaken?

TTYL,

-Jesse-

--

  Jesse Erlbaum
  The Erlbaum Group

Re: mod_perl & mod_php

Posted by Cees Hek <ce...@sitesuite.com.au>.
Quoting Jesse Erlbaum <je...@erlbaum.net>:

> I have a general question for the list:  Do people often use BOTH of these
> environments at the same time?  It seems to me that there would be little
> benefit to using both.  Am I mistaken?

We have some old apps that are written in PHP, but are predominantly a perl
shop.  To keep the apache processes from getting too big, we just run 3 apache
servers currently bound to different IPs, but probably moving to a rev-proxy
system when it is needed.

Cees

Re: mod_perl & mod_php

Posted by Ufuk Yuzereroglu <uf...@yuzereroglu.com>.
I just HAVE to use it since I am moving and already working environemtn to a
new platform. I would neither use both if I were given the chance

Re: mod_perl & mod_php

Posted by Iain Truskett <pe...@dellah.anu.edu.au>.
* Jie Gao (J.Gao@isu.usyd.edu.au) [30 Aug 2002 09:49]:
> On Thu, 29 Aug 2002, Jesse Erlbaum wrote:
[...]
> > I notice that you are using mod_perl AND mod_php.
> >
> > I have a general question for the list: Do people often use BOTH of
> > these environments at the same time? It seems to me that there would
> > be little benefit to using both. Am I mistaken?

> It happens when somebody wants to use php and you don't want to use
> it.....

We had both for a while --- then I got fed up and rewrote the small
amount of PHP into Mason. I've been happier ever since =)

cheers,
--
Iain.

Re: mod_perl & mod_php

Posted by Iain Truskett <ic...@eh.org>.
* Andy Lester (andy@petdance.com) [30 Aug 2002 10:33]:

[...]
> PHP is better than Perl in some cases, I've found. If you're
> predominantly templating and don't want to futz around with Mason or
> TT or whatever, PHP will do a fine job.

I'm naturally biased toward Perl, and generally the PHP I've seen sucks
(written by a non-programmer futzing around with third-hand code).

Is there good PHP code out there?

(I don't want to get into a war over PHP vs Perl, so please don't start
one.)

cheers,
--
Iain.

RE: mod_perl & mod_php

Posted by Jesse Erlbaum <je...@erlbaum.net>.
Hey Andy --

> I'm using both at work because we're slowly migrating from PHP to Perl.

That reminds me of a project I started last year.  We were charged with
assuming responsibility for a website built on ColdFusion.  We moved the
site from Solaris/Netscape-Commerce to Linux/Apache-mod_perl.  Eventually,
we intend to strip out as much of that ColdFusion nastiness as we can and
replace it with Perl.

It's great to be able to stack environments.  The concurrent environments
(ColdFusion coexisting with mod_perl) is letting us do so over time.

TTYL,

-Jesse-

--

  Jesse Erlbaum
  The Erlbaum Group

Re: mod_perl & mod_php

Posted by Andy Lester <an...@petdance.com>.
> I have a general question for the list:  Do people often use BOTH of these
> environments at the same time?  It seems to me that there would be little
> benefit to using both.  Am I mistaken?

I'm using both at work because we're slowly migrating from PHP to Perl.

PHP is better than Perl in some cases, I've found.  If you're
predominantly templating and don't want to futz around with Mason or TT
or whatever, PHP will do a fine job.

xoxo,
Andy

--
'Andy Lester        andy@petdance.com
 Programmer/author  petdance.com

Re: mod_perl & mod_php

Posted by Jie Gao <J....@isu.usyd.edu.au>.
On Thu, 29 Aug 2002, Jesse Erlbaum wrote:

> > Well what you said is true. I actuallay had perl 5.6.1 but I
> > tried to use an
> > old httpd executable compiled with 5.6.0. Adding directories to @INC would
> > help me but each time before I would start httpd, I'd have to do that.
> > Instead I recompiled mod_perl/apache/ssl/php bundle. And that helped (for
> > sure)
>

> I notice that you are using mod_perl AND mod_php.
>
> I have a general question for the list:  Do people often use BOTH of these
> environments at the same time?  It seems to me that there would be little
> benefit to using both.  Am I mistaken?

It happens when somebody wants to use php and you don't want to use it.....

Jie

RE: mod_perl & mod_php

Posted by Jesse Erlbaum <je...@erlbaum.net>.
Hey Peter --

> I took over for some Russian programmers on one project ....

Wow... Sounds like there's a story in there somewhere!  Is your client
suffering from globalization woes?  :-)

> Most of the PHP reminds me of the older Perl4 style where a programmer
> might repeat the same code very 20 lines
[...]
> ...there are a WHOLE lot more people writing PHP than Perl

Sounds like there would *HAVE* to be!  <grin>

TTYL,

-Jesse-

Re: mod_perl & mod_php

Posted by "Peter J. Schoenster" <pe...@schoenster.com>.
On 29 Aug 2002 at 19:47, Jesse Erlbaum wrote:

> I notice that you are using mod_perl AND mod_php.
>
> I have a general question for the list:  Do people often use BOTH of
> these environments at the same time?  It seems to me that there would be
> little benefit to using both.  Am I mistaken?

Most people on this list, it seems, work on rather large sites where
they have at least ONE server. I work on small mom-and-pop sites which
run on virtual servers. PHP is far, far easier to deploy on these
ubiquitous virtual servers. I have in fact moved my apps from mod_perl
because the market is just not there if your audience is mom-and-pop
(ymmv). This is my primary server:

> Apache/1.3.26 OpenSSL/0.9.6g (Unix) ApacheJServ/1.1 mod_perl/1.21
> PHP/4.0.6

BTW, since someone asked about PHP code, I have been doing a lot of
work in PHP lately. I took over for some Russian programmers on one
project .... no comments, none, at least 100 php files throughout the
site, proprietary templating system, scope is not by file but by site
:) And I've been working on jawamail and that's quite fun. I would much
rather work on code written by others in Perl than what I see in PHP.
Most of the PHP reminds me of the older Perl4 style where a programmer
might repeat the same code very 20 lines :) But there are some good
things written in PHP, it's just that there are a WHOLE lot more people
writing PHP than Perl (just look at the mailing lists and script
archives).

Peter

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go
away".
                -- Philip K. Dick