Posted to bluesky-dev@incubator.apache.org by SamuelKevin <lo...@gmail.com> on 2011/07/01 13:38:06 UTC

Fwd: Bluesky calls for a new mentor!

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2011 10:37:23 +0200
Subject: Re: Bluesky calls for a new mentor!
To: general@incubator.apache.org
Cc: bluesky-dev <bl...@incubator.apache.org>

> I believe projects from  school could also rock in Apache as well. You can
> look down up on us but you can't deny others.

This is not the point.

The point is, if you have contributors who have no apache id, they

a) need to sign an ICLA
b) need to create an Jira issue and attach an svn diff there, ticking
the "allowed to use for the ASF" box
c) need to ask development questions on the mailinglist, not by ICQ,
MSN or whatever

You can actually work with students, no problem. But it should happen
visible. Even when you are in the same room, it should be visible to
all other parties around the world. Otherwise you will never get an
development community.

>     I had a propose that community give us the last chance for 1-2month and
> certain member could become our mentor to lead us finish  releasing the
> newest version.   During this time slot. What you would see includes:

I am not sure if the term "mentor" is used well here. A "mentor" is
not here to help you in development questions. A mentors role is to
oversee how the project progresses, guide people to work after the
apache way. After 3 years you should already know about the apache way
and mentor should be obsolet (from a teaching role only). A mentor is
for sure NO project lead. He can point you to the according docs of
"how to release code", for example.

>   1. gradually increasing discussion in bluesky-dev mailing list.
>   Meaningless discussion would not count.

ALL discussion must happen on list, from now on. If it didn't happen
on list, it didn't happen, as a wise man once said.

>   2. committing of source code after they were cleaned up.
>   Inactive committers would be revoked and new committers would apply to join
>   in.

Now or never. It is "commit then review"
Potential new committers must show their interest on the mailing list
- otherwise your mentors cannot decide if they should support a
invitation or not. As you know, new committers must be voted in. The
discussion should also happen before, on list.

>   3. preparing for what release needs and make the release successful. Thus
>   the new developers and committers could completely experienced the release
>   process and know about "How" things are done in Apache community better.

You should start working on the apache way even before the release. If
it didn't work well before, it will not work well while releasing.

>     If community accept my suggestion, individually, i want the BlueSky
> project under strict surveillance by community members. If we can't fulfill
> what we just promised, then just kick us out of here and i would have noting
> to say.

I (personally) have no problems with waiting just another 2 or 3
months. I cannot imagine anyone would like to step up as a mentor at
the moment. My suggestion: try to work out the apache way now. Use
jira and the mailinglist. Students contribute patches through jira.
Committers apply them. And so on. If that all happens, your Jira is
full of contributions and your mailinglist full of discussions. If
that is the case, come back to this list and ask for a mentor again -
probably somebody is willling to step up again.
If you have more questions on "how apache works", I am pretty sure
you'll get an answer on this list.

Cheers,
Christian

http://www.grobmeier.de