Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Andreas <ma...@roomity.com> on 2006/03/24 09:01:54 UTC

Struts Tutorial

Hi, I'm a newbie in Struts so I'm looking for a struts tutorial on the net. I've revised some books but all of them doesn't fit my needs. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks a lot. Andreas

Broadband interface (RIA) + mail box saftey = http://Struts_User_List.roomity.com
*Your* clubs, no sign up to read, ad supported; try broadband internet.

Re: Struts Tutorial

Posted by Hubert Rabago <hr...@gmail.com>.
I'm not sure how the books didn't fit your needs, but maybe you can
give this a try: http://www.learntechnology.net/

It's one of the most common tutorials we pass around in here.

Hubert

Re: Struts Tutorial

Posted by Ted Husted <te...@gmail.com>.
If you go to

* http://www.java201.com/

and search for "filters", you will fid several articles.

-Ted.

On 3/26/06, chuanjiang lo <lo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> i'm also rather new here and im interested to know how to apply filters to
> the web application...
>
> is there any useful guides around too?
>
> thanks
>
> On 3/26/06, Dave Newton <ne...@pingsite.com> wrote:
> >
> > Dakota Jack wrote:
> > > If you are smart, go elsewhere where things are not this nuts.
> > >

> > *ponder*
> >
> > Dave

HTH, Ted.
** http://www.husted.com/ted/blog/

Re: Struts Tutorial

Posted by chuanjiang lo <lo...@gmail.com>.

Re: Struts Tutorial

Posted by Dave Newton <ne...@pingsite.com>.

Re: Struts Tutorial

Posted by Dakota Jack <da...@gmail.com>.
It is Struts that is confused, not this person.  If you are smart, go

On 3/24/06, James Mitchell <jm...@apache.org> wrote:

> As far as products, right now there is Action and Shale.
>
> Most people familiar with Action might just say 'Struts' and there
> isn't usually a misunderstanding.  I suppose the same confusion
> exists when someone says 'Apache'.  Do you mean the organization or
> the server?
>

> --
> James Mitchell
> EdgeTech, Inc.
> http://edgetechservices.net/
> 678.910.8017
> Skype: jmitchtx
>

> On Mar 24, 2006, at 10:54 AM, Dave Newton wrote:
>
> > Andreas wrote:
> >> Hi, I'm a newbie in Struts so I'm looking for a struts tutorial on
> >> the net.
> >
> > Which Struts?
> >
> > See, I don't like that I have to ask that question, and on this I
> > completely agree with Jonathon etc. :P
> >
> > Dave

~Dakota Jack~

Re: Struts Tutorial

Posted by Larry Meadors <lm...@apache.org>.
On 3/24/06, Al Eridani <al...@gmail.com> wrote:
> But cars are a good example of the type of branding being attempted
> with Struts. Why does Ford keep marketing a model like the Mustang that
> it has changed so radically over the years, instead of calling it something
> else?
>
> Because they are banking on the familiarity and (hopefully) the good
> reputation of the name among the general buying public; to the marketeers,
> any connection between the name and the content is irrelevant.

I agree, and to go even further with the analogy, you do not need to
learn how to drive again when you get a new Mustang. The switch for
the wipers may be in a different location, and the cruise control may
be a bit different, but the brake is still on the left, and the gas is
still the skinny pedal on the right.

Again, this is NOT the case with with struts-action and
struts-shale...so why are we pretending it is?

Larry

Re: Struts Tutorial

Posted by Larry Meadors <lm...@apache.org>.
On 3/24/06, Michael Jouravlev <jm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Shale is no Mustang anymore. Will it turn out a Lambo is question
> number one. Will many Mustang devotees decide to change from Mustang
> to Lambo is question number two.

I agree, but this is where the car analogy breaks down (ha, a pun).

Just like struts-shale and struts-action are both frameworks, a
tricycle and a ferrari are both modes of transportation.

My children could control a tricycle at 3, but would they have been
able to have the same degree of control in a Ferrari? Of course not,
because they are radically different modes of transportation, just
like struts-shale and struts-action are both frameworks, but radically
different frameworks.

Calling them the same thing does not make them the same thing.

Larry

Re: Struts Tutorial

Posted by Michael Jouravlev <jm...@gmail.com>.
On 3/24/06, Al Eridani <al...@gmail.com> wrote:
> But cars are a good example of the type of branding being attempted
> with Struts. Why does Ford keep marketing a model like the Mustang that
> it has changed so radically over the years, instead of calling it something
> else?

Changed radically? Current generation is the one that finally got some
massaging in last twenty years or so. Even after the changes it still
has solid axle on the rear. The car is a fossil, good only for
straight-line driving. But here is a kink: they wanted to use
independent rear suspension from Jag, but hardcore Mustang-heads said
resounding "no". They want fast, but simple.

Shale is no Mustang anymore. Will it turn out a Lambo is question
number one. Will many Mustang devotees decide to change from Mustang
to Lambo is question number two.

Michael.

Re: Struts Tutorial

Posted by Al Eridani <al...@gmail.com>.
On 3/24/06, Michael Jouravlev <jm...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Oh, come on. Ford has Ford, Lincoln and Mercury. Fiat has Fiat, Alfa
> Romeo, Lancia, Ferrari and whatever else. Renault has Renault, Nissan
> and Volvo Trucks? Whatever.
>
> We just need to set a default. Do you think Ferrari when you say Fiat? ;-)

Those are different brands with different names marketed by the same parent
company, while the current Struts situation is different products marketed
with the same name, so I don't understand your point.

Re: Struts Tutorial

Posted by Vinny <xa...@gmail.com>.
Depends, do  Ferrari and Fiat engineeers use the same mailing list?

Ghetto Java: http://www.ghettojava.com

Re: Struts Tutorial

Posted by Larry Meadors <lm...@apache.org>.
Heh, so, when someone says "Volkswagon" are you saying that you know
they really meant "Porsche", or that when someone says "Porsche" they
really meant "VW"?

My guess is that the people who make Porsches do not want people to
look at a 928 and think "Cool, a Volkswagon...". My guess is that they
do their best to keep them seperate - because they are RADICALLY
different cars...just like struts-action and struts-shale are
RADICALLY different frameworks.

Here is an interesting parallel, however...the people who make VW's
might want to go to great lengths to make their customers think they
are really buying a Porsche, but just a bit different...

Kind of like the people selling shale want to make people think it is
really just struts, but a bit different.

Larry

Re: Struts Tutorial

Posted by Michael Jouravlev <jm...@gmail.com>.

Re: Struts Tutorial

Posted by Jonathan Revusky <re...@wanadoo.es>.
Ted Husted wrote:
> On 3/24/06, Larry Meadors <lm...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>>That is not really an accurate parallel...no one is saying that the
>>apache web server and the apache organization are the same thing...but
>>I guess struts-shale and struts-action aren't either...so why are they
>>the same project again? Is it just a branding thing?
>

> It's a people thing, Larry. It's really the same reason most of us
> came here in the first place. We came here because we believe that we
> can build a better framework working together than we can working
> apart. Likewise, we believe that we can build both a better Shale and
> a better Action by working together, than we could working apart. If
> you tune into the dev@ list, you can see this already happening.
>
> I think the crux of the problem is that users perceive Struts as a
> codebase, a product, some kind of car that we built. The committers
> perceive Struts as a community of developers.

Well, the body of work that will be Struts Action 2 shortly was not
developed here. Webwork was developed under the OpenSymphony umbrella.
There was a de facto competition going on to produce the better
framework and they won that competition.

The fact remains that you and your colleagues failed to keep Struts
development going and it became uncompetitive in its space. Have you
guys really taken stock of why that occurred? What I have observed is
that whenever anybody questions your project management practices, you
simply point them to a page that outlines the project management
practices. FYI, this is commonly known as the "beg the question" fallacy.

> In the commercial world, pointy-haired bosses try very hard to take
> individual developers out of the equation. Bosses want developers to
> be plug and play, like network cards. In the ASF world, we value
> people more than we value the code. Code is just a snapshot of the
> work our people do. The code may be golden eggs, but our focus is on
> the geese.

In this case, I have no idea what you're talking about. The above
paragraph seems like meaningless gobbledy-gook to me.

If you value people as you say, how is it that I perceive such a culture
of arrogance and contempt here? Somebody offers an opinion about your
website's front page (me in this case, but it could be someone else) and
is told to put up or shut up.

Craig McClanahan wrote a post that shocked me. He simply said: This is
how it is. If you can't deal with it, go away.

Is that the discourse of somebody who values other people?

You get other people arguing vociferously that committers on an ASF
project have no obligation to listen to people. This is not a claim made
by one lone nutcase. Various people have made this extraordinary claim.

So I get absolutely no sense that you value people here. You hold
yourselves in high esteem, I guess, but there is just no sense that
there is a culture here of respecting people and valuing them. My
opinion is that this, more than any narrow technical issue, is what has
led to the technical stagnation of Struts 1.x.

> So when people talk about sending some of us packing, it tears my
> heart. These people are my friends. I like working with my friends.

Ted, this strikes me as a red herring issue. If you and other people who
like working together want to collaborate on something, there is no
obstacle to that. Actually, there's this great site called sourceforge
where you can start a project and have all the necessary infrastructure
to collaborate effectively: mailing lists, forums, bug tracker, code
repository....

Isn't the problem that, if you do that, you have to simply compete on an
even footing with other open source projects out there? You don't have
any of these placement/visibility advantages. Your work would just stand
or fall on its own technical merit.

Let's strip away the pretension for a sec. If you went and started a
project on sourceforge, all these people who love working with you so
much, would they follow you there and work with you? Maybe, just maybe,
they don't like working with you that much and they are actually here
because they know that what work they do here will get an in ordinate
amount of attention and publicity. Once they don't have that (say on a
sourceforge project you go start) then they aren't all that interested
in working with you any more.

It's a bit like a rich guy who has all these friends. See how many
friends he has when he loses his money. :-)

 > It's one of the reasons I volunteer. And, I know if we stick together,
 > we will find more and more places where we can share work, and make
 > life easier for all the developers that use our products (including
 > ourselves).
>
> We already see sharing and reuse happening with Tiles, Commons Chain,
> and Spring. Now we are seeting it happen with XWork. I think that
> before we are done, we may be able to take virtually the same Action
> and use it in Shale or in Action 2.

Well, that sounds good, but if Shale were a separate project, it could
use the Action classes that you define in this project. Lots of projects
have external dependencies all the time.

In general, open source projects can leverage one another's code without
sharing mailing lists, code repositories or brand name. Webwork (and
hence Struts Action 2) make extensive use of FreeMarker, which is
largely (but not exclusively) my work at this point. Webwork and
FreeMarker are separate projects.

Well, in short, none of what you have said in this message I am replying
to rings true to me.

Jonathan Revusky

Re: Struts Tutorial

Posted by Larry Meadors <lm...@apache.org>.
On 3/24/06, Ted Husted <te...@gmail.com> wrote:
> It's a people thing, Larry. It's really the same reason most of us
> came here in the first place. We came here because we believe that we
> can build a better framework working together than we can working
> apart. Likewise, we believe that we can build both a better Shale and
> a better Action by working together, than we could working apart. If
> you tune into the dev@ list, you can see this already happening.

That's great Ted, I hope we can all continue on the same path, but I
disagree about the reason people come here. I wish that you were
right, but deep down, if people were totally honest, I'd bet 90% came
looking for a simple web framework, not a community.

> I think the crux of the problem is that users perceive Struts as a
> codebase, a product, some kind of car that we built. The committers
> perceive Struts as a community of developers.

The users don't - it is a product, they download it and use it, and at
this point (as one of the users), I don't know where to start. The
community is great, but I can't download it, and at this point, it
seems very fragmented.

> In the commercial world, pointy-haired bosses try very hard to take
> individual developers out of the equation. Bosses want developers to
> be plug and play, like network cards.

I agree, and as much as it pains me to say it, I can see their point.
It should be easy to find a struts developer...but it ISN'T! Because
struts is so fragmented now that it is several different tool sets.

> In the ASF world, we value people more than we value the code. Code
> is just a snapshot of the work our people do. The code may be golden
> eggs, but our focus is on the geese.
>
> So when people talk about sending some of us packing, it tears my
> heart. These people are my friends. I like working with my friends.
> It's one of the reasons I volunteer. And, I know if we stick together,
> we will find more and more places where we can share work, and make
> life easier for all the developers that use our products (including
> ourselves).

I totally agree.

> We already see sharing and reuse happening with Tiles, Commons Chain,
> and Spring. Now we are seeting it happen with XWork. I think that
> before we are done, we may be able to take virtually the same Action
> and use it in Shale or in Action 2.

Hm, that sounds awesome, but as a pessimistic user, I'll believe it
when I see it. ;-)

> People who think like PHBs want everything to be about brand and
> product differentiation. But, that's not what we are trying to do
> here. We are trying to level the playing field for the developer. Not
> for the product managers, or for the larger entities. But for our own
> selves.

Are you calling me a PHB?!? ;-)

In all seriousness, I think I agree with you more than I disagree with you.

I even agree that we an do more together that we can alone.

But, I think the users of the framework are confused by the lack of
separation. While it is great that the devs can share code and ideas,
it is darn confusing for the users to go looking for a Porsche, and
end up getting a VW.

Larry

Re: Struts Tutorial

Posted by Ted Husted <te...@gmail.com>.

Re: Struts Tutorial

Posted by Al Eridani <al...@gmail.com>.
On 3/24/06, Larry Meadors <lm...@apache.org> wrote:
> On 3/24/06, James Mitchell <jm...@apache.org> wrote:
> > As far as products, right now there is Action and Shale.
> >
> > Most people familiar with Action might just say 'Struts' and there
> > isn't usually a misunderstanding.  I suppose the same confusion
> > exists when someone says 'Apache'.  Do you mean the organization or
> > the server?
>
> That is not really an accurate parallel...no one is saying that the
> apache web server and the apache organization are the same thing...but
> I guess struts-shale and struts-action aren't either...so why are they
> the same project again? Is it just a branding thing?

It looks that way. The people involved have a vested interest to keep the
Struts name alive, even while they throw away the code. They benefit too
much from books, talks, seminars, apache.org addresses, you name it,
to start their new projects with a different name.

Not that they will admit it, but it's the simplest explanation (Occam's razor
and all that).

Re: Struts Tutorial

Posted by Larry Meadors <lm...@apache.org>.

Re: Struts Tutorial

Posted by Vinny <xa...@gmail.com>.
I'm still lobbying for a mailing list split.
struts_shale
struts_action

Too much context switching going on here for my poor brain.
Yeah I know filters, label, dogs and bees.

Anyone with me on this ?

Re: Struts Tutorial

Posted by Larry Meadors <lm...@apache.org>.
No, that makes you a cheese head...it is Friday, right?

Larry

Re: Struts Tutorial

Posted by Dave Newton <ne...@pingsite.com>.

Re: Struts Tutorial

Posted by Larry Meadors <lm...@apache.org>.

Re: Struts Tutorial

Posted by Dave Newton <ne...@pingsite.com>.

Re: Struts Tutorial

Posted by James Mitchell <jm...@apache.org>.

Re: Struts Tutorial

Posted by Dave Newton <ne...@pingsite.com>.

Re: Struts Tutorial

Posted by Ted Husted <te...@gmail.com>.
My favorite book for newbies is "Struts for Dummies".

* http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0764559575/apachesoftwar-20/

For Struts 1.2, the "Struts: The Complete Reference" by James Holes is
also quite good. Most chapters end with a lab, so it's much like a
tutorial.

* http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0072231319/apachesoftwar-20/

For Just the Stuff without the Fluff, there are also two Struts cookbooks

* http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1932394249/apachesoftwar-20/
* http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/059600771X/apachesoftwar-20/

There's a complete list of articles about Struts, including tutorials,
at Struts Central.

* http://www.StrutsCentral.net/Resources/Action/articles-2006.html

-- HTH, Ted.

Re: Struts Tutorial

Posted by Antonio Petrelli <br...@tariffenet.it>.
Andreas ha scritto:
> Hi, I'm a newbie in Struts so I'm looking for a struts tutorial on the net. I've revised some books but all of them doesn't fit my needs. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks a lot. Andreas

A book I really liked and that I suggest to newbies is Struts Survival
Guide:
http://www.objectsource.com/