Posted to dev@directory.apache.org by Enrique Rodriguez <en...@gmail.com> on 2007/10/29 04:59:42 UTC

[DNS] Test commit plan

Hi, Directory developers,

I have tests to commit for DNS and just wanted to double-check a few
things before I commit.

1)  I want to add 'dnsjava' as a dep to 'protocol-dns'.  This is our
best bet for cross-platform tests, since the DNS JNDI provider is only
Sun JDK, AFAICT.

2)  I would add these tests to 'protocol-dns'.  I have a
HashMap-backed implementation of the RecordStore interface.  This
avoids the need to start-up the ApacheDS backend and so it doesn't
make sense to put these tests anywhere but 'protocol-dns', as opposed
to 'server-unit'.

If this sounds good, I'll can start to commit this week.

Enrique

Re: [DNS] Test commit plan

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ak...@apache.org>.
On 10/28/07, Enrique Rodriguez <en...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi, Directory developers,
>
> I have tests to commit for DNS and just wanted to double-check a few
> things before I commit.
>
> 1)  I want to add 'dnsjava' as a dep to 'protocol-dns'.  This is our
> best bet for cross-platform tests, since the DNS JNDI provider is only
> Sun JDK, AFAICT.

OK

2)  I would add these tests to 'protocol-dns'.  I have a
> HashMap-backed implementation of the RecordStore interface.  This
> avoids the need to start-up the ApacheDS backend and so it doesn't
> make sense to put these tests anywhere but 'protocol-dns', as opposed
> to 'server-unit'.

Please make your tests work with the DirectoryServer backend so we know we
don't
break things while refactoring. The HashMap-backend is not in itself
sufficient to test
this capability.

So isolate these integration tests in server-unit which is the designated
area for tests going
through the wire.  Any protocol oriented test be it LDAP, Kerberos, DNS etc
should be in this
module.

Here's an earlier thread on this topic:

http://www.nabble.com/Kerberos-implementation-questions-tf4008688.html#a11510825