Posted to user@sqoop.apache.org by Andrew Allaway <an...@outlook.com> on 2013/10/29 00:04:52 UTC

Sqoop, sending for a loop - newby lost - SQL Server/Sqoop

Sorry for the bad title:)

Have:
3 nodes
Debian/wheezy
Hadoop 1.2.1
Hive 0.11.0

All's working great:)

Want to connect SQL Server 2012 and SQL Serv. 2014 CTP to the above

I'm totally lost

Namenode (aka node1): 192.168.10.10
Node2 192.168.10.11
Node3 192.168.10.12

Have Windows7 (static ip4 192.168.10.13), connected via ethernet thru a switch. I can ssh into nodes 1-3 easy.

All's swell.

On Win7 have a full sql server instance "bob", database "test_db", schema "test_schema" & table "test_table" login "abc" pw "xyz".

On the cluster I've hadoop here:
/usr/local/hadoop

Just untared Scoop to /usr/lib/sqoop

Then when I tried to run$ sqoop help from the above dir, it said it didn't know where my hadoop was.  So I ran the hadoop_home /usr/local....

Then ran$ sqoop help and it said it can't find hdfs.  So I ran the same$ export home_hdfs usr/local....

Then ran sqoop help and it said it needs Hbase????

Does it?  Why does it need Hbase to run?

Not sure how to go from here.  I want to install these packages as I learn them. I don't intend to learn Hbase at the moment, can I "live" w/o it?

Even if sqoop worked I still don't understand how to pull the table above (test_table) into hdfs and into Hive??

Thoughts?

Best,
Andy

Re: Sqoop, sending for a loop - newby lost - SQL Server/Sqoop

Posted by Andrew Allaway <an...@outlook.com>.
Haaa Devin!  Thankfully I can leave that firewall to the pros. I'm an analytics folk, whose set up a microCluster at home to learn Hadoop/Hive/Sqoop/db-ETL/cube integration on. And gosh does it works great now! Best investment in learning I've spent all year - and it's fun to shut down a node and watch it keep ticking!

I got the new hardware for a great price, SQL 2014 CTP was free (exp New Year's Eve), Hadoop free, Hive free, Sqoop free & Debian free!  Gosh is the world changing or what?!  Software is so open:)

If you or anyone on this thread have or recommend any RDBMS-Hadoop-Hive-Sqoop blogs, websites, books or whatnot, lemme know.

I'm one'a those who has massive amounts of data to analyze (like many of ya) and am a SAS-SQL diehard.

Is there any "Kimbal" or "Inmon" of this Hadoop movement I would be sad to not be reading up on? I read Doug Cutting's blog and follow his tweets and all the big vendors I read up on (Cloudera, Horton, MapR, Pivotal, etc...).   Anything I'm missing?

I am joining a local Hadoop group in my community (Chicago), so I've the local network part covered. I've a nice weekend ahead of me and figure now that my cluster is tip-top, it's time to curl up to a good book, white paper, YouTube/podcast or whatnot.

Best,
Andy

Posted by DSuiter RDX <ds...@rdx.com>.

Posted by Andrew Allaway <an...@outlook.com>.