Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Paul <pa...@nosphere.org> on 2009/03/15 01:37:50 UTC

[maven-shade-plugin] Typo in examples

I was shading multiple jars needing services declarations and have been facing
a typo issue, more precisely a "missing s" issue :)

In the maven site, the example named "" has a typo,:
ServiceResourceTransformer should be replaced by ServicesResourceTransformer.

/Paul

Re: Redeployment of plugin sites (was Re: [maven-shade-plugin] Typo in examples)

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, Mar 15, 2009 at 4:30 AM, Benjamin Bentmann
<be...@udo.edu> wrote:

> Do we have some guideline for the deployed plugin site and its
> state/contents? For instance, the site is now saying "Version:
> 1.3-SNAPSHOT", its "Source Repository" report points to trunk instead of
>  maven-shade-plugin-1.2 and the source XRef report contains code from trunk,
> i.e. the site is no longer in sync with the latest plugin release.

I initially advocated publishing the latest docs, and we did it
briefly, but as you noted it was too confusing.

So the /plugins/maven-whatever-plugin website is intended to match the
latest release.

In addition, "versioned" docs are published at
/plugins/maven-whatever-plugin-X.Y.  I think this is done with the
staging site url, the (config is in the plugins parent pom.)  This
works for snapshots, too, so if you're publishing the latest snapshot
docs, they should go to -X.Y-SNAPSHOT url until a release happens and
it's time to update the main site.

One possible improvement would be to always publish the "versioned"
docs, and make /plugins/maven-whatever-plugin a symlink to the the
correct version.  However that puts more work on the release manager
to actually log into people.a.o and fix the link.

We had a long discussion about this at the time, and the current setup
was the least disruptive.  (It doesn't affect all the links out there
to /plugins/..., doesn't require the RM to do much extra work, and
does provide historical "versioned" docs for the plugins.)

--
Wendy

Re: Redeployment of plugin sites (was Re: [maven-shade-plugin] Typo in examples)

Posted by "Torben S. Giesselmann" <ts...@foogoo.net>.
> I once got pretty upset as a user when I struggled with a non-functional
> plugin feature documented on a plugin site just to find that the site
> described unreleased stuff. While this particular problem doesn't apply

Hehe, I tried using the "prepare-package" phase a few days ago; it
didn't work and I got quite frustrated. Finally I noticed the words
"(Maven 2.1 and above)". Ooops! :)

Cheers,
- Torben

--
Torben S. Giesselmann
tsg-swdev@foogoo.net

A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory.

Re: Redeployment of plugin sites (was Re: [maven-shade-plugin] Typo in examples)

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.
until somebody puts it in the parent pom's URL and your project does
not override but has a different version

Posted by lukewpatterson <lu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Benjamin Bentmann <be...@udo.edu>.
Hervé BOUTEMY wrote:

> [...] site deployed.

Do we have some guideline for the deployed plugin site and its
state/contents? For instance, the site is now saying "Version:
1.3-SNAPSHOT", its "Source Repository" report points to trunk instead of
  maven-shade-plugin-1.2 and the source XRef report contains code from
trunk, i.e. the site is no longer in sync with the latest plugin release.

I once got pretty upset as a user when I struggled with a non-functional
plugin feature documented on a plugin site just to find that the site
described unreleased stuff. While this particular problem doesn't apply
for the Shade Plugin's site right now, I still wonder whether it would
not be more appropriate if we fixed doc typos in the SVN tag itself and
redeployed the site from the tag?

Benjamin

Re: [maven-shade-plugin] Typo in examples

Posted by Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr>.
fixed in svn and site deployed.
Don't hesitate to open a Jira issue and attach a patch if you find other
fixes.

Thank you

Hervé