Posted to dev@kafka.apache.org by Suman B N <su...@gmail.com> on 2019/04/04 14:47:10 UTC

Need help in setting up security in Kafka systems

Team,

Can anyone help me share the configs to be set to achieve the below
security in Kafka systems?

   - Broker-Broker should be PLAINTEXT(No Authentication and Authorization
   between brokers)
   - Zookeeper-Broker should be PLAINTEXT(No Authentication and
   Authorization between brokers and zookeeper)
   - Client-Broker should be SASL_PLAINTEXT(Using JAAS).

Any help to finalize broker configs and client configs will be very helpful.

I am still trying out some configs. I will update the configs with
respective issues observed very soon.

Thanks,
Suman
--
*Suman*
*OlaCabs*

Re: Need help in setting up security in Kafka systems

Posted by "M. Manna" <ma...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Have you checked the section on security here? It's got a comprehensive
guide

https://kafka.apache.org/documentation/#security_sasl

To answer your questions briefly

- Broker to Broker should be plainTEXT (or SSL if inter-broker security is
enabled then broker2brorker works as a client coms)
- zookeeper to broker should be plaintext
- client to broker should be plaintext

But then, I would recommend you read the guidlines above. We setup our
security nicely with the above guidelines, however they were not using SASL
but only SSL.

Thanks,