Posted to user@accumulo.apache.org by Sven Hodapp <sv...@scai.fraunhofer.de> on 2015/09/16 15:20:52 UTC

Mini Accumulo Cluster reusing the directory

Hi there,

is it possible for MiniAccumuloCluster to reuse a given directory?
Sadly, I haven't found anything in the docs?

I’ll fire up my instance like this:

   val dict = new File("/tmp/accumulo-mini-cluster")
   val accumulo = new MiniAccumuloCluster(dict, "test“)

If I’ll restart my JVM it will raise a error like this:

   Exception in thread "main" java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Directory /tmp/accumulo-mini-cluster is not empty

It would be nice if the data can survive a JVM restart and the folder structure must not be constructed every time.

Thanks a lot!

Regards,
Sven

--
Sven Hodapp M.Sc.,
Fraunhofer Institute for Algorithms and Scientific Computing SCAI,

Re: Mini Accumulo Cluster reusing the directory

Posted by Josh Elser <jo...@gmail.com>.
n/m, didn't read the whole thread. Sounds like ACCUMULO-1378 does
capture what you asked for :)

Posted by Josh Elser <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "mohit.kaushik" <mo...@orkash.com>.
Thanks Josh :)

--
Signature

Posted by Josh Elser <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Keith Turner <ke...@deenlo.com>.
On Thu, Sep 17, 2015 at 12:38 AM, Josh Elser <jo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> MiniAccumuloCluster by default already uses the local file system.
>
> To get the correct sync semantics that Keith mentioned you need to set
> "fs.file.impl" in the Hadoop Configuration you pass to the
> MiniAccumuloConfig.

Yeah thats the main thing I was thinking of.  Thanks for digging it up
Josh.   Its really important to set that hadoop config when having Accumulo
use the local FS.  Otherwise the default class hadoop uses for the local fs
does nothing for flush.

A few caveats to be aware of :

  * The default impl is LocalFileSystem and it used to do nothing for
flush().   That may no longer be true, at one point it extended something
from CheckSumFS which did nothing for flush.
  * RawLocalFileSystem may not checksum data like LocalFileSystem does
  *  RawLocalFileSystem may not survive a power outage.  It flushes the
file to the OS... but the OS may hold it in its buffers for some time
before really writing it to disk.  So this means you would survive
processes terminating, but not the OS terminating unexpectedly.   When
using HDFS Accumulo can be configured to make the hdfs output stream make
java.nio calls to flush data to disk.

Posted by Josh Elser <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "mohit.kaushik" <mo...@orkash.com>.
Keith,

Posted by Andrew Wells <aw...@clearedgeit.com>.
The last is a cool idea... especially if you scaled out from that
application install. Using MAC for that would mean there would be some
downtime.

On Tue, Sep 22, 2015 at 3:42 AM, Sven Hodapp <sven.hodapp@scai.fraunhofer.de

--
*Andrew George Wells*
*Software Engineer*

Re: Mini Accumulo Cluster reusing the directory

Posted by Sven Hodapp <sv...@scai.fraunhofer.de>.
Hi Keith,

Posted by Keith Turner <ke...@deenlo.com>.

Posted by Andrew Wells <aw...@clearedgeit.com>.
btw, my solution revolved around this issue:

which let users save their data off somewhere, then load it into the new
mac cluster

Posted by Andrew Wells <aw...@clearedgeit.com>.

Posted by Christopher <ct...@apache.org>.
The class I created is included in Accumulo (since 1.6?), but only enables
connecting to an existing mini instance based on its directory. It doesn't
enable restarting mini.

Posted by Corey Nolet <cj...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Christopher <ct...@apache.org>.

Posted by Sven Hodapp <sv...@scai.fraunhofer.de>.