Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Hector Adolfo Alonso <al...@consist.com.ar> on 2003/08/28 17:52:37 UTC

Class loading for J2SE classes in web-inf lib

Hello:
   I've have a doubt about using xerces.jar in Tomcat 4.1.27.
Suppose I'm using JDK 1.3.1, with xerces.jar put in WEB-INF\lib, and
Tomcat default installation. xerces-jar's classes are used when they
are required.

   I've read carefully the document in
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.1-doc/class-loader-howto.html

   My doubt is related to the topic "J2SE classses and extensions": if I use
JDK 1.4.1, xerces.jar's classes won't be loaded from web-inf libraries,
because
they are part of JDK libraries (this is different for JDK 1.3.1).

   Could someane confirm this.

   In default Tomcat installation, they will be loaded instead from common
endorsed jar directory.

   Thanks in advance.

Hector./

Re: Class loading for J2SE classes in web-inf lib

Posted by Jacob Kjome <ho...@visi.com>.
Don't ever put endorsed libraries in WEB-INF/lib, even under
JDk1.3.1.  Just take the one from CATALINA_HOME/common/endorsed.  It is
usually the most up-to-date anyway and you can always put your own version
there.  Putting the xml parser in WEB-INF/lib will only cause you problems.

Jake