Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Kellie English <ke...@gmail.com> on 2020/04/05 15:03:45 UTC

Please help

Good morning!  I use this for my business as a massage therapist.  I cannot
for the life of me figure out how to delete unwanted auto
fill suggestions.   If I want to type '60 minute massage', it comes up even
after I type "60", which is great, but now i have all of these other tabbed
suggestions that I have to tab through before I can get to "60 minute
massage" based on other entries I have to make for other 60 minute
services.  Is there any way I can sort through or even rearrange the order
of such automated fill ins??  Right now, when I type "60" here is the order
of auto fill suggestions:
60 HS
60/EVT
60 minute PKG
60min/AO
(I now have to tab through all of these to finally get to ;)
60 minute massage
Which is the main default of what I usually need.
Please help!  I would like to rearrange the 60 minute massage to pop up
first everytime, or to just delete ALL auto fills and then start fresh??

--
Kellie English

Re: Please help

Posted by Brian Barker <b....@btinternet.com.INVALID>.
At 14:13 05/04/2020 -0400, Robert Funnell wrote:
>On Sun, 5 Apr 2020, Brian Barker wrote:
>>> far as > they are common.
>>>I don't understand what you mean by this. Complete words are
>>>offered, even rare ones if they've been harvested from the user's documents.
>>
>>If the questioner's "60minutePKG" and "60minutemassage" had both
>>been harvested (I've excised the spaces to allow the effect to
>>show), typing "60m" would show what is common between the
>>possibilities, so just
>>"60minute", not either of the complete texts. S/he said that
>>individual suggestions appeared, which is indeed what happens in a spreadsheet.
>
>Display of what's in common has never been my experience. For
>example, I have 'accelerating' and 'acceleration' in my list, and as
>soon as I type 'acc' it offers 'accelerating', not just
>'accelerati'. I've often wished it would display just what's in
>common. (I'm actually using LO at the moment but my recollection is
>that it's the same in AOO.)

Interesting: that's the case for me, too. Don't understand why these
cases work differently ...

Brian Barker

Re: Please help

Posted by Robert Funnell <ro...@mcgill.ca>.
On Sun, 5 Apr 2020, Brian Barker wrote:

> At 13:38 05/04/2020 -0400, Robert Funnell wrote:
>> On Sun, 5 Apr 2020, Brian Barker wrote:
>> > o Complete suggestions are not provided: merely partial ones as far as
>> > they are common.
>>
>> I don't understand what you mean by this. Complete words are offered, even
>> rare ones if they've been harvested from the user's documents.
>
> If the questioner's "60minutePKG" and "60minutemassage" had both been
> harvested (I've excised the spaces to allow the effect to show), typing "60m"
> would show what is common between the possibilities, so just
> "60minute", not either of the complete texts. S/he said that individual
> suggestions appeared, which is indeed what happens in a spreadsheet.

Display of what's in common has never been my experience. For example,
I have 'accelerating' and 'acceleration' in my list, and as soon as I
type 'acc' it offers 'accelerating', not just 'accelerati'. I've often
wished it would display just what's in common. (I'm actually using LO
at the moment but my recollection is that it's the same in AOO.)

- Robert

Re: Please help

Posted by Brian Barker <b....@btinternet.com.INVALID>.
At 13:38 05/04/2020 -0400, Robert Funnell wrote:
>On Sun, 5 Apr 2020, Brian Barker wrote:
>>o Complete suggestions are not provided: merely partial ones as far
>>as they are common.
>
>I don't understand what you mean by this. Complete words are
>offered, even rare ones if they've been harvested from the user's documents.

If the questioner's "60minutePKG" and "60minutemassage" had both been
harvested (I've excised the spaces to allow the effect to show),
typing "60m" would show what is common between the possibilities, so just
"60minute", not either of the complete texts. S/he said that
individual suggestions appeared, which is indeed what happens in a spreadsheet.

>>o The user would not be able to tab through suggestions, as s/he describes.
>
>I assumed she (they) meant control-tabbing.

Ah: there is a simple reason I didn't think of that: I didn't know that worked!

Brian Barker

Re: Please help

Posted by Robert Funnell <ro...@mcgill.ca>.
On Sun, 5 Apr 2020, Brian Barker wrote:

> At 12:58 05/04/2020 -0400, Robert Funnell wrote:
>> >
>> > I'm having to guess that you are talking about entering data into a
>> > spreadsheet document, not a word processor one. Is that so?
>>
>> I assumed that the message was about a word-processing document. If so, if
>> you go to Tools > AutoCorrect > AutoCorrect Options there's a 'Word
>> Completion' tab that seems to give control over what word completion is
>> done.
>
> I had wondered that but ruled it out, for various reasons:
> o The default minimum word length is 10, so it is unlikely that entries as
> short as some of the questioner's examples would be harvested.

My minimum word length is 8, I don't remember setting it to that.
Maybe hers was somehow set to a small value? Maybe unlikely.

> o Only single word entries are harvested.

Good point.

Re: Please help

Posted by Brian Barker <b....@btinternet.com.INVALID>.

Re: Please help

Posted by Robert Funnell <ro...@mcgill.ca>.
On Sun, 5 Apr 2020, Brian Barker wrote:

> At 11:03 05/04/2020 -0400, Kellie English wrote:
>> I cannot for the life of me figure out how to delete unwanted auto fill
>> suggestions. If I want to type '60 minute massage', it comes up even after
>> I type "60", which is great, but now i have all of these other tabbed
>> suggestions that I have to tab through before I can get to "60 minute
>> massage" based on other entries I have to make for other 60 minute
>> services. Is there any way I can sort through or even rearrange the order
>> of such automated fill ins? Right now, when I type "60" here is the order
>> of auto fill suggestions:
>> 60 HS
>> 60/EVT
>> 60 minute PKG
>> 60min/AO
>> (I now have to tab through all of these to finally get to ;)
>> 60 minute massage
>> Which is the main default of what I usually need. Please help! I would like
>> to rearrange the 60 minute massage to pop up first every time, or to just
>> delete ALL auto fills and then start fresh?
>
> I'm having to guess that you are talking about entering data into a
> spreadsheet document, not a word processor one. Is that so?

I assumed that the message was about a word-processing document. If
so, if you go to Tools > AutoCorrect > AutoCorrect Options there's a
'Word Completion' tab that seems to give control over what word
completion is done.

Also, if you type 1 or 2 more characters after '60', the suggestions
offered will be refined.

- Robert

Re: Please help

Posted by Brian Barker <b....@btinternet.com.INVALID>.
At 11:03 05/04/2020 -0400, Kellie English wrote:
>I cannot for the life of me figure out how to delete unwanted auto
>fill suggestions. If I want to type '60 minute massage', it comes up
>even after I type "60", which is great, but now i have all of these
>other tabbed
>suggestions that I have to tab through before I can get to "60
>minute massage" based on other entries I have to make for other 60
>minute services. Is there any way I can sort through or even
>rearrange the order
>of such automated fill ins? Right now, when I type "60" here is the
>order of auto fill suggestions:
>60 HS
>60/EVT
>60 minute PKG
>60min/AO
>(I now have to tab through all of these to finally get to ;)
>60 minute massage
>Which is the main default of what I usually need. Please help! I
>would like to rearrange the 60 minute massage to pop up first every
>time, or to just delete ALL auto fills and then start fresh?

I'm having to guess that you are talking about entering data into a
spreadsheet document, not a word processor one. Is that so?

This facility offers possible entries as you type, taken from
existing entries in other rows in the same column. No, I don't see
any way to adjust the order of the suggestions. But yes, there is
certainly a way to suppress this facility: just go to Tools | Cell
Content > | AutoInput and toggle it off there.

If you find yourself - as it seems - often entering similar entries
in a spreadsheet column, you may wish to consider using Data Validity.
o Select a cell range - perhaps all or most of a column - and go to
Data | Validity... .
o On the Criteria tab, for Allow, select List.
o Enter your repertoire of allowable values in the Entries box.
o Select other options as desired.

Now when you move to a cell in the range to enter a value, you will
see a down-arrow to its right. Click that with the mouse and select
the particular entry you need. Note that this technique can avoid
entering slight misspellings or variations that may create errors in
your spreadsheet but can be quite difficult to spot.

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker