Posted to geospatial@apache.org by Martin Desruisseaux <ma...@geomatys.com> on 2021/12/02 09:29:22 UTC

Joint OGC/OSGeo/ASF code sprint proposal

Hello all

Last February, the Open Geospatial Consortium (OGC), the OSGeo
organization and the Apache Software Foundation has hold a joint code
sprint [1]. OGC and OSGeo are interested in repeating this event in
March 2022, and the ASF is invited again. There is two options for a
3-day joint code sprint:

  * Option 1: March 1st, 2nd, 3rd.
  * Option 2: March 8th, 9th, 10th.

If anyone is interested in participating, could you let us know your
preference for the dates? A Doodle pool is at [2].

     Martin

[1]https://www.ogc.org/blog/4444
[2]https://doodle.com/poll/qee4kubtbfq69y6r

Re: Joint OGC/OSGeo/ASF code sprint proposal

Posted by Martin Desruisseaux <ma...@geomatys.com>.
Hello all

The joint OGC / OSGeo / ASF code sprint, initially scheduled March 1st,
2nd and 3rd, may be shifted one week later (March 8th, 9th, and 10th)
for avoiding a schedule conflict with the next OGC meeting. Please let
me know if there is any objection to this rescheduling.

All projects having geospatial components are welcome to participate to
this code sprint. On my side, there is two tasks that I plan to propose:

1) Implementation of the Gridded Geodetic data eXchange Format (GGXF)
[1]. This is a standard in development for replacing NTv2 and NADCON
(among others) by a universal data format, tentatively based on
NetCDF-4. It would greatly simplify the application of datum shifts
based on grids, and also other coordinate operations such as the use of
geoid models.

2) Continue the development of Geospatial Integrity of Geoscience
Software (GIGS) tests [2]. This works aim to provide an
implementation-neutral suite of tests, targeting Java and Python
libraries for now.

For those two tasks, experts from IOGP and other organizations have been
invited to attend to the code sprint event for assisting us in the
implementation of those standards or test suites.

     Regards,

         Martin

[1]https://github.com/opengeospatial/CRS-Gridded-Geodetic-data-eXchange-Format
[2]https://gigs.iogp.org/

Re: Joint OGC/OSGeo/ASF code sprint proposal

Posted by Martin Desruisseaux <ma...@geomatys.com>.
Hello all

Two weeks ago we announced a proposal for a join code sprint with OGC,
OSGeo and ASF [1]. It would be the second join code sprint, after the
first one that we held last February. The pool is now closed and the
selected time are March 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. An official OGC Press Release
will be announced in January.

     Martin

[1]https://lists.apache.org/thread/cnolxg471vm135f91cwv056f1rxz380f