Posted to users@qpid.apache.org by ffrenchm <ff...@gmail.com> on 2009/02/18 18:38:30 UTC

Some blocking problem on using QPid on my project

Hello,

I'll just discover the BDB license - GPL like (tell me if I'm false) - which
is for me a blocking problem to use QPid (Java or C++ broker). I need a non
GPL like persistence solution. Is there any other solutions in the pipe ? If
not could you tell me the workload estimate to implement our own persistence
module ?

Another problem concerning only the QPid java projet I have is that there is
currently no federation system - as far I can read the QPid documentations.
Could you tell me if there is already some implementation on this subject I
could test ?

Thanks for all

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org

Re: Some blocking problem on using QPid on my project

Posted by Gordon Sim <gs...@redhat.com>.
ffrenchm wrote:

> Gordon Sim wrote:
>> Only if you were redistributing the store plugin as part of some bigger
>> system might
>> there be an issue.
>>

> This is the question. I'm totally agree with the fact that I could not
> deliver any BDB libraries without publishing my source code - unfortunately
> I can't :). But for example a solution could be to define BDB as a
> prerequisiste and then deliver and use the BDB QPid plugin - which is Apache
> licensed. What do you think about this ?

Seems a plausible approach to me but again, I must reinforce the fact
that I'm no legal expert. Perhaps legal-discuss@apache.org might be able
to give more authoritative advice?

Posted by ffrenchm <ff...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gordon Sim <gs...@redhat.com>.
ffrenchm wrote:
> About my BDB problem, the question is : if I use QPid with BDB in my
> applications do I need to publish my source code or only the QPid source
> code ? Where the license scopes ending ?

I am not a lawyer, but I would think that since your application is not
linked to the library its license would not affect you. Only if you were

Posted by ffrenchm <ff...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gordon Sim <gs...@redhat.com>.
ffrenchm wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'll just discover the BDB license - GPL like (tell me if I'm false) - which
> is for me a blocking problem to use QPid (Java or C++ broker). I need a non
> GPL like persistence solution.

At present the only persistence plugin for the c++ broker is the
external LGPLed implementation.

> Is there any other solutions in the pipe ? If
> not could you tell me the workload estimate to implement our own persistence
> module ?

It would be great to get a persistence plugin as part of the core qpid
code. As a _very_rough_ estimate I think you could have something
working with 2-4 weeks of effort.

Posted by ffrenchm <ff...@gmail.com>.

Aidan Skinner-2 wrote:

> There's no federation implementation for Qpid/Java AFAIK.

Thanks for your answer. I had the same impression.
And is there any planned federation implementation for Qpid/Java in the QPid
roadmap AFAYK ?

Posted by Aidan Skinner <ai...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 5:38 PM, ffrenchm <ff...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'll just discover the BDB license - GPL like (tell me if I'm false) - which
> is for me a blocking problem to use QPid (Java or C++ broker). I need a non
> GPL like persistence solution. Is there any other solutions in the pipe ? If
> not could you tell me the workload estimate to implement our own persistence
> module ?

The Java broker ships with an Apache Derby store. It's not as widely
used as the BDB one though, so you should definitely perform your own
testing with that.

> Another problem concerning only the QPid java projet I have is that there is
> currently no federation system - as far I can read the QPid documentations.
> Could you tell me if there is already some implementation on this subject I
> could test ?

There's no federation implementation for Qpid/Java AFAIK.

- Aidan
http://qpid.apache.org

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org