Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Brian Fox <br...@infinity.nu> on 2011/02/03 03:01:54 UTC

update on recent license and dependency discussions

Last week we had some heated discussions on this list revolving around
Ralph's veto that was prompted by a license change to a dependency
used by Maven Core.

Two things have come from this:
1) The PMC voted to pass a new policy to cover external dependencies:
all core dependencies must be either
* under a category a licence
or
* under a category b license and approved by a majority vote of the pmc

The intent is that this would be discussed and voted upon prior to the
introduction of a category b dependency in core. This does not apply
to plugins, but if there is any doubt, ask.

This will be posted on the developer section of our site soon.

2) The license of Aether and Sisu have been updated to EPL/ASL.

Thanks,
Brian Fox
Apache Maven PMC Chair