Posted to log4cxx-dev@logging.apache.org by Alexandru Zbarcea <zb...@gmail.com> on 2014/01/03 21:24:52 UTC

request a "native" Git repository

Hi Everyone,

I propose to request for a "native" git repository.

Cheers,
Alex

Re: request a "native" Git repository

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.
On 5 Jan 2014, at 21:51, Rhys Ulerich wrote:

>> I propose to request for a "native" git repository.
>
> If you're willing to wait for the initial checkout (which might be
> lengthy), you might find git-svn would let you connect to the SVN
> backend well enough to get your git cli fix.

I actually wrote a few lines which help to get started with git-svn (i
believe)
http://wiki.apache.org/logging/

Cheers

> - Rhys

---

Posted by Rhys Ulerich <rh...@gmail.com>.
> I propose to request for a "native" git repository.

I'd prefer to keep the SVN repo:
 1) The project is inherently centralized and so I'm not sure what
we'd gain by picking up a distributed RCS.
 2) The SVN infrastructure is all in place and seemingly working fine.
 There's no indication that we're missing contributions because they
refuse to play with our RCS (a la the recent kerfuffle around BZR
kicked up by ESR).
 3) We're all new enough at Apache that I'd like our infra/workflow to
look as much like every other project as possible since that makes it
easier to ask others for help.

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.
On 3 Jan 2014, at 22:47, Thorsten Schöning wrote:

> Guten Tag Alexandru Zbarcea,
> am Freitag, 3. Januar 2014 um 21:24 schrieben Sie:
>
>> I propose to request for a "native" git repository.
>
> I vote against because I prefer Subversion anyways, but from my
> understanding Apache still focuses on it

<snip/>

Apache doesn't have a preference here. We have several projects running
on Git
and its fully supported by our Infra. You can make your decision based
on your own
opinion without caring about the foundation.

Cheers,

> and I really don't see the
> benefit from switching to another SCM at this stage of the project. I
> even expected each committer was aware that the project currently uses
> Subversion and is able to deal with it.
>
> Mit freundlichen Grüßen,
>
> Thorsten Schöning
>
> --
> Thorsten Schöning       E-Mail:Thorsten.Schoening@AM-SoFT.de
> AM-SoFT IT-Systeme      http://www.AM-SoFT.de/
>
> Telefon...........05151-  9468- 55
> Fax...............05151-  9468- 88
> Mobil..............0178-8 9468- 04
>
> AM-SoFT GmbH IT-Systeme, Brandenburger Str. 7c, 31789 Hameln
> AG Hannover HRB 207 694 - Geschäftsführer: Andreas Muchow

---

Posted by Thorsten Schöning <ts...@am-soft.de>.
Guten Tag Alexandru Zbarcea,
am Freitag, 3. Januar 2014 um 21:24 schrieben Sie:

> I propose to request for a "native" git repository.

I vote against because I prefer Subversion anyways, but from my
understanding Apache still focuses on it and I really don't see the