Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by cass savy <ca...@gmail.com> on 2015/02/18 20:49:40 UTC

Cassandra install on JRE vs JDK

Can we install Oracle JDK instead of JRE  in Cassandra servers? We have few
clusters running JDK when we upgraded to C*2.0.

Is there any known issue or impact with using  JDK vs JRE?
What is the reason to not use Oracle JDK in C* servers?
Is there any performance impact ?

Please advice.

Re: Cassandra install on JRE vs JDK

Posted by cass savy <ca...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Robert  for quick response. I use Oracle JDK and not OpenJDK.

Posted by Robert Stupp <sn...@snazy.de>.
The ”natural” dependency of Cassandra is the JRE (not the JDK) - e.g. in the Debian package.
You should be safe using JRE instead of JDK.

If you’re asking whether to use a non-Oracle JVM - the answer would be: use the Oracle JVM.
OpenJDK might work, but I’d not recommend it.

> Am 18.02.2015 um 20:49 schrieb cass savy <ca...@gmail.com>:
>
> Can we install Oracle JDK instead of JRE  in Cassandra servers? We have few clusters running JDK when we upgraded to C*2.0.
>
> Is there any known issue or impact with using  JDK vs JRE?
> What is the reason to not use Oracle JDK in C* servers?
> Is there any performance impact ?
>
> Please advice.

—
Robert Stupp
@snazy

Re: Cassandra install on JRE vs JDK

Posted by karim duran <ka...@gmail.com>.
...with JDK 1.7.x...(not 1.6.x but it's equal) Sorry...

Regards.

Karim Duran

Posted by karim duran <ka...@gmail.com>.
Hi Mark, Cass Savy, Robert...