Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Arnstein Nygård <ar...@hotmail.com> on 2018/01/18 20:57:00 UTC

Docking the navigator

Dear Open Office,

The navigator in my document somehow got undocked unintentionally. Now I've been trying for hours to dock it again with no results. I've tried control key + double click on the empty near the icons at the top of the navigator in every version possible, I've tried ctrl shift F10, and I've tried moving the navigator to the side of the document (I downloaded libre office to see if it would work there and there moving the navigator to the side made it dock). In all the forums I've read, these steps have worked for people, but not for me, and there are no forums or youtube videos with further information. I really wish there was a simpler way, like a dock option I could click in the menu, I really like the navigator but only when it stays in its place. Is there something I can do? I would greatly appreciate any help.

Best regards,

Arnstein

Re: Docking the navigator

Posted by Brian Barker <b....@btinternet.com>.
At 20:57 18/01/2018 +0000, Arnstein Nygård wrote:
>The navigator in my document somehow got
>undocked unintentionally. Now I've been trying
>for hours to dock it again with no results. I've
>tried control key + double click on the empty
>near the icons at the top of the navigator in
>every version possible, I've tried ctrl shift
>F10, and I've tried moving the navigator to the side of the document ... .

There are three ways, I think. All three of them
work either to dock or undock the Navigator.

o As you suggest, use Ctrl+double-click. You need
to double-click in the grey area around the
Navigator's buttons, not in its title bar at the
top nor in the body of the window. Note in
addition - this is where you might have been
getting it wrong - that it appears that this
doesn't work if the undocked Navigator has focus
when you try. Instead, click outside the
Navigator - in your document itself - so that the
Navigator loses focus before using Ctrl+double-click.

o As you suggest, use Crtrl+Shift+F10. Note that
- perhaps perversely - in this case the Navigator
does need to have focus for this to work.

o Drag the Navigator window by its title bar to
the side. Watch carefully as the mouse pointer
passes the edge of the window. When you get to
the correct point, you should see a hatched
outline of where the Navigator will be when
docked; you may need some care to find this
position. Whilst this outline is displayed, drop
the Navigator. (Apparently this technique works
only if your operating system's window manager
settings mean that the full window contents are
shown as you are dragging a window, not just the
outer frame. That is outside the control of OpenOffice, of course.)

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker