Posted to derby-user@db.apache.org by Dhurjati Chakraborty <dh...@gmail.com> on 2015/06/02 08:11:55 UTC

How do I embed and deploy Apache Derby DB to end users

Hi,
I am relatively new to Apache Derby DB, came across lots of tutorials and I
did not find any difficulty to accept that this is the most light weight
versatile DB. So, I started using it with Java, all was running well until
I realized that I am unable to embed it and deploy it to the end users.
So, this is a humble request to your community about how to deploy it with
the Java application.
*N.B : I use Netbeans for Java development and I included the derby jar
library to my project.*

Thanks and Regards,
Dhurjati C
Tripura, INDIA

Re: How do I embed and deploy Apache Derby DB to end users

Posted by "DM.sbs.gmail" <da...@gmail.com>.

On 3 June 2015 04:59:51 CEST, Bryan Pendleton <bp...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> So, this is a humble request to your community about how to deploy it
>with the Java application.
>> *N.B : I use Netbeans for Java development and I included the derby
>jar library to my project.*
>
>Assuming you are using the "embedded" configuration, including
>the derby.jar library into your project should be all you need
>to do.
>
>What was the *exact* behavior that you observed, when you tried this?
>
>thanks,
>
>bryan

I think it nmay also depend how you are attempting to deploy / distribute your app.

Do  you deliver it as :
A complete zip file .
Via a web service as a 'war'.

If you are releasing it as an update to an existing app, where the installed app 'phones home' and catches the updates, it may be more involved than simply including the derby jar into your new release.
I only mention this as I allways find things are 'more involved' when trying to release via the web service than directly as a zip download ~ where I can more finely control the contents to ensure all the required libraries are included.

David

Re: How do I embed and deploy Apache Derby DB to end users

Posted by Bryan Pendleton <bp...@gmail.com>.