Posted to user@karaf.apache.org by Charles Moulliard <cm...@gmail.com> on 2011/01/24 13:19:45 UTC

Info about kar archive of Apache Karaf

Hi,

What is the purpose of the archive kar that we can deploy now on Karaf
? Benefits ?

Regards,

Charles Moulliard

Sr. Principal Solution Architect - FuseSource
Apache Committer

Blog : http://cmoulliard.blogspot.com
Twitter : http://twitter.com/cmoulliard
Linkedin : http://www.linkedin.com/in/charlesmoulliard
Skype: cmoulliard

Re: Info about kar archive of Apache Karaf

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Not sure of that :)

It depends what we stand for feature update.
I'm working on ACE around Karaf feature update and lifecycle. I think
that we need to dig on that, feel free to complete the brainstorming
wiki page :)

Regards
JB

Posted by Charles Moulliard <cm...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Adrian Trenaman <tr...@progress.com>.
Hmmmm.

Posted by Charles Moulliard <cm...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Adrian Trenaman <tr...@progress.com>.
Nice one JB!

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi guys,

Posted by Adrian Trenaman <ad...@googlemail.com>.
Answers inline!

Posted by Charles Moulliard <cm...@gmail.com>.
ok.

Posted by Adrian Trenaman <ad...@googlemail.com>.
Hi Charles!

Posted by Charles Moulliard <cm...@gmail.com>.
Hi Ade,

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.
Hi Karafman,

Most of this stuff is implemented and more or less working on my github fork which I think can be accessed through https://github.com/djencks/karaf/tree/feature for browsing or checking out

  git clone https://github.com/djencks/karaf.git
  cd karaf
  git checkout feature

There's a "starter" kar under features/assembly/framework  and a sample assembly under assemblies/apache-karaf.  My test project that actually installs a useful kar is at https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/geronimo/sandbox/djencks/txmanager which shows building a kar and a server assembly.

I think it would be great to get more points of view on how this should work.  I know I'm strongly biased by my experience with geronimo and idee fixe that all deployment should be done by assembling a new server :-)

Also check out the Possible feature features thread :-)

thanks
david jencks

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.
(moving to dev since this is really discussion about how this stuff should work... I don't think anything is final about this)

So far....

features.xml and .kar files are not bundles.  IIUC aries .eba are bundles.  I don't know if there's a reason to make a .kar file a bundle.

As of yesterday assembling a server using kar files or adding a kar file to an existing karaf instance will install any feature.xml files in the car but not start the features.  When assembling the server the feature repo is added to the .cfg for the feature service, whereas adding to a running instance will modify the internally saved feature service state.

I think that there should be a maven plugin configuration flag or use of maven dependency scope that determines whether the features listed in the features.xml in the .kar are started.  This info would also end up in the feature service .cfg, not the saved state.

At the moment I don't know if there is any way to undeploy or redeploy a .kar.  I wonder how practical this is.  Working with geronimo I _always_ have found it much easier to set up a maven build that assembles the server I'm interested in and just reassemble the server for any change rather than trying to redeploy the just the bits that have changed.  I have found that any time lost in the build process is more than made up for in having full documentation of what is in the server I'm working with.  However, this seems to be a somewhat unusual point of view.

thanks
david jencks

Posted by Andreas Pieber <an...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Jan 25, 2011 at 6:01 PM, Charles Moulliard <cm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> So the kar will contain a xml features file and during the deployment
> process deploy all the features defined in the file ?

Yes, all the feature xml files in the kar (zip) file

> What will appear in the list of bundles --> the list of bundles
> deployed according to features xml file or the bundle corresponding to
> the features file ?

It is exactly like if you copy a number of .jar files into the "local"
system repo of karaf, and add the features.xml by using
features:addurl

> Will it be possible to update the kar archive and so update bundles defined in the features list ?

By the moment indirectly; again: it's similar as if you unpack a new
version: all packages with the same version (name) are overwritten;
those with a different version added in addition. Features.xml in a
new version will be added again letting you to update --> no automatic
update here by the moment

kind regards,
andreas

Posted by Charles Moulliard <cm...@gmail.com>.