Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch> on 2008/08/11 16:14:48 UTC

Re: Using a custom OTF font (was: Possible to avoid page breaks between table rows with keep-together?)

Steffanina, please don't hijack threads or at least change the subject.
Thanks.

If the font is well done, it should be working in FOP without change.
You can treat it like a TrueType font. If it doesn't, please let us know
what doesn't work. Documentation as on our website:
http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/0.95/fonts.html#basics

On 11.08.2008 16:06:35 Steffanina, Jeff wrote:
> I am using fop-0.95 on RedHat Linux running Linux applications (100%).
> My problem is that one division insists on using a custom font in the
> .OTF format that was created by a typographical company and therefore
> requires licensing.  This is not a problem.
>
> What does the font vendor have to do to make the font work in the Linux
> environmen using FOP (legally, of course) ?   Is it as simple as
> converting the font to a .TTF?
>

> I need a description of what would have to be done to send directly to
> them.
>

> Jeff

Jeremias Maerki

Re: Using a custom OTF font (was: Possible to avoid page breaks between table rows with keep-together?)

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.
Oh yeah, that's the one catch that is often found with OTF fonts: our
lack of support for the Compact Font Format (CFF). Probably not too
difficult to implement but so far nobody had enough of an itch to
do it. I guess that leaves you with two options:
1. Implement support for CFF in FOP.
2. Try to convert the font into a TrueType font with TrueType glyph data
instead of CFF glyph data. The first stop here is probably http://fontforge.sourceforge.net/

Sorry for not remembering that possibility earlier.

On 11.08.2008 21:41:58 Steffanina, Jeff wrote:

> Sorry for the thread mix-up earlier.... I wasn't watching where I was
> clicking.
>
> The original custom fonts had an extension of  .otf  I have used the
> same file names with both the .otf and .ttf extensions with the same
> result.
>
> Can anyone suggest a way to get around the CFF issue below?
>
> Aug 11, 2008 3:30:55 PM org.apache.fop.fonts.autodetect.FontInfoFinder
> find
> SEVERE: Unable to load font file:
> file:/YY/Java1.4/fop-0.95/fonts/GothamRounded-Bold.ttf. Reason: OpenType
> fonts with CFF data are not supported, yet
> Aug 11, 2008 3:30:55 PM org.apache.fop.fonts.autodetect.FontInfoFinder
> find
> SEVERE: Unable to load font file:
> file:/YY/Java1.4/fop-0.95/fonts/GothamRounded-Bookld.ttf. Reason:
> OpenType fonts with CFF data are not supported, yet
> Aug 11, 2008 3:30:56 PM org.apache.fop.fonts.autodetect.FontInfoFinder
> find
> SEVERE: Unable to load font file:
> file:/YY/JLS/Java1.4/fop-0.95/fonts/GothamRounded-Medium.ttf. Reason:
> OpenType fonts with CFF data are not supported, yet
>
> If I send you the font file, can you try to load it?
>

> Jeff

Jeremias Maerki

RE: Using a custom OTF font (was: Possible to avoid page breaks between table rows with keep-together?)

Steffanina, please don't hijack threads or at least change the subject.
Thanks.

If the font is well done, it should be working in FOP without change.
You can treat it like a TrueType font. If it doesn't, please let us know
what doesn't work. Documentation as on our website:
http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/0.95/fonts.html#basics

On 11.08.2008 16:06:35 Steffanina, Jeff wrote:
> I am using fop-0.95 on RedHat Linux running Linux applications (100%).
> My problem is that one division insists on using a custom font in the
> .OTF format that was created by a typographical company and therefore
> requires licensing.  This is not a problem.
>
> What does the font vendor have to do to make the font work in the
Linux
> environmen using FOP (legally, of course) ?   Is it as simple as
> converting the font to a .TTF?
>

> I need a description of what would have to be done to send directly to
> them.
>

> Jeff

Jeremias Maerki