Posted to dev@arrow.apache.org by James Duong <ja...@bitquilltech.com> on 2020/08/19 19:46:11 UTC

Authentication Redeisgn

Hi Arrow-Dev,

I've written up a proposal to make some enhancements to the authentication
process. I've captured the overall goals on JIRA here:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ARROW-9804

The proposal itself is in this Google Doc:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1TutHf9ttw3rLzBvYxJXP2q6fZHYmROu-gyKfniOntQY/edit#

The goals are primarily to decouple authentication from the handshake
process and integrate more easily with HTTP authentication mechanisms such
as OAuth 2.0.

There are suggestions to add some simple session-related communication
(session properties, server capabilities) as part of the proposal.

I've written a POC of the proposed changes here for authentication only
(not the handshake):
https://github.com/apache/arrow/pull/7994

Thanks!

--

*James Duong*
Lead Software Developer

contain confidential and privileged information.  Any unauthorized review,
use, disclosure, or distribution is prohibited.  If you are not the
intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy
all copies of the original message.  Thank you.

Re: [Flight Format] Authentication Redesign

Posted by David Li <li...@gmail.com>.
Hey James,

I think adding a separate capabilities endpoint is a good idea - it
doesn't need to be a bidirectional streaming endpoint which would
simplify implementation/usage and it would make it easier to maintain
backwards compatibility or slowly phase out handshake.

Best,
David

Posted by James Duong <ja...@bitquilltech.com>.

Posted by David Li <li...@gmail.com>.

Posted by James Duong <ja...@bitquilltech.com>.

Posted by David Li <li...@gmail.com>.
Hey James,

Posted by James Duong <ja...@bitquilltech.com>.
Hi,

Re: Authentication Redesign

Posted by James Duong <ja...@bitquilltech.com>.
Hi everyone,

Posted by James Duong <ja...@bitquilltech.com>.

Posted by Antoine Pitrou <an...@python.org>.
Could you enable comments on this document?

Posted by James Duong <ja...@bitquilltech.com>.
Thanks Ryan.

Re: Authentication Redeisgn

Posted by Ryan Murray <ry...@dremio.com>.