Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@codeconsult.ch> on 2002/08/05 12:05:55 UTC

Re: [Proposal] Cocoon Organization (Cocoon plugins)

On Monday 05 August 2002 09:41, Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
>. . .
> we should try to build a minimal Cocoon or core Cocoon if you
> prefer and put everything else into additional modules (read: not blocks).
> By modules I simply mean different directories in the CVS in order to
> optionally build them.
>. . .

It would be great if these modules could be pluggable at runtime, simply by
copying the required jars in the right places. Users won't like having to
recompile Cocoon just to activate different options IMHO.

I don't know Cocoon internals or Avalon in much detail, but maybe the
following scenario could be implemented simply and help users locate and add
the required functionality when they need it:

1) create an XML map of modules, classnames and URLs that is distributed with
Cocoon, example:

<plugin-module
  name="xslt-xalan"
  class="org.apache.cocooon.wrappers.XalanWrapper"
  download-url="http://xml.apache.org/cocoon/dist/modules/xalan"
  download-file="cocoon-xalan-plugin.2.0.3.jar"
/>

2) when a Component is requested from the Sitemap and is not available, a
custom ClassLoader (or a catch of the ClassNotFoundException) uses the
above map to let users know how to activate it, something like:

CocoonPluginNotFoundException:
The "xslt-xalan" plugin (requested by blablabla...) is not present in your
Cocoon configuration. To activate it, download file
"cocoon-xalan-plugin.2.0.3.jar" from
"http://xml.apache.org/cocoon/dist/modules/xalan", copy this jar to the
WEB-INF/lib subdirectory of your Cocoon installation and restart Cocoon

I don't know how well this fits your plans, but it might help distributing a
minimal Cooon while making it easy for users to install what they need.

Just my 2 cents.
--
 Bertrand Delacrétaz (codeconsult.ch, jfor.org)

 buzzwords: XML, java, XSLT, cocoon, mentoring/teaching/coding.
 disclaimer: eternity is very long. mostly towards the end. get ready.

RE: Aren't we talking about Cocoon Blocks? (was: [Proposal] Cocoon Organization (Cocoon plugins))

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@s-und-n.de>.
Reinhard Poetz wrote

> > Can't help it, but this sounds like Cocoon Blocks "light" to me. And
> > then there is the question why not going all the way and implement
> > Blocks as outlined by the RT of Stefano ?
> >

> Yes, my opinion too! After following the thread I think that all
> the points
> discussed are the same as in the COB thread. Maybe this is a good starting
> point for the realization of Stefano's great concept of COBs!!!

I don't think that we are talking here about blocks - at least not
the way the proposal explained. Again, I don't believe that we get I
more handable Cocoon by just adding a new complexity layer.

And I still believe that adding blocks to Cocoon makes Cocoon even
slower as the 2.1-dev version currently is.

Carsten

Aren't we talking about Cocoon Blocks? (was: [Proposal] Cocoon Organization (Cocoon plugins))

Posted by re...@gmx.net.
> Can't help it, but this sounds like Cocoon Blocks "light" to me. And
> then there is the question why not going all the way and implement
> Blocks as outlined by the RT of Stefano ?

Yes, my opinion too! After following the thread I think that all the points
discussed are the same as in the COB thread. Maybe this is a good starting
point for the realization of Stefano's great concept of COBs!!!

Regards,
Reinhard

http://www.gmx.net

Re: [Proposal] Cocoon Organization (Cocoon plugins)

Posted by Jens Lorenz <je...@interface-projects.de>.

Re: [CLEANCOON] Let's clean Cocoon and modularize it (was: Cocoon Organization (Cocoon plugins))

Posted by Ugo Cei <u....@cbim.it>.
Ugo Cei wrote:
> Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>
> <snip/>
>
> http://www.dictionary.com/search?q=coon
>
>    2.  Offensive Slang. Used as a disparaging term for a Black person.
>
> Quindi qualcuno potrebbe interpretare CLEANCOON come "negraccio pulito"
> ;-).
>
>     Ugo

Sorry, this was meant as a private message, but I forgot about the

	Ugo

Phone: +39.0382.525100 - E-mail: u.cei@cbim.it

Re: [CLEANCOON] Let's clean Cocoon and modularize it (was: Cocoon Organization (Cocoon plugins))

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.
> Cocoon may be the best thing since sliced bread, but nobody's going
> to  put their fingers anywhere near it whilst it's still being sliced.

+1

Posted by Torsten Curdt <tc...@dff.st>.
On Tuesday 06 August 2002 00:58, Stuart Roebuck wrote:
> Okay, I wonder if it's time for me to poor water on the flames!
>

> * Cocoon 2.0.3 has some problems with it that need fixing.
>
> * Cocoon 2.1 hasn't been released yet.
>
> * We have three books coming out this year, presumably based around
> Cocoon 2.0.x, or maybe around 2.1.some-months-ago.
>
> * There's still isn't adequate documentation for 2.0.x.
>
> * There's a whole bundle of software running 'out there' based on
> Cocoon 1.x and 2.0.x that relies on any number of the existing
> 'unstable' APIs in Cocoon.

...even on an early HEAD version after the 2.0.x branch ;-)

> And now we're talking about refactoring everything.

I guess we are not... I am quite sure everyone here will agree that we should
delay such idea until we have a real stable and well documented 2.1 branch!
People will walk off screaming if now start with another version...
...but what we need are people using it - not running away from it. We already
give them the burden of complexity...

But I am quite sure some people on cocoon-dev felt the same itch Berin was
talking about. I would insist on marking down those itches because that's the
way we find the needed improvements - whether they make it into the 2.x
branch or into a much later(?!) refactored version.

At least that's how I see it...
--
Torsten

Re: [CLEANCOON] Let's clean Cocoon and modularize it (was: Cocoon Organization (Cocoon plugins))

Posted by Christian Haul <ha...@dvs1.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de>.
On 06.Aug.2002 -- 09:30 AM, Stephan Michels wrote:

> On Tue, 6 Aug 2002, Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> > Actually this is a maintainance nightmare, Often new features were added
> > and the build system (or the optional checks) were not added accurately.
> > The build.xml is getting bigger and bigger. By separating this into
> > directories this will be IMHO much cleaner and easier.
>
> How should this look like?
>
> src/java/org/apache/cocoon/modules/forms/components/*
> src/java/org/apache/cocoon/modules/forms/generation/*
> src/webapp/samples/forms/*
>
> src/java/org/apache/cocoon/modules/fop/components/*
> src/java/org/apache/cocoon/modules/fop/serialization/*
> src/webapp/samples/fop/*
> etc.
>
> Like this? It is more cleaner, but I see directories, which owns only
> one class :-|

Guess that's the price to pay. It improves visibility a great deal
though :-) Ever tried to find all form handling classes and files?
Even for the simple form support it's almost a dozen! Now add XMLForm...

	Chris.
--
C h r i s t i a n       H a u l
haul@informatik.tu-darmstadt.de

Re: [CLEANCOON] Let's clean Cocoon and modularize it (was: Cocoon Organization (Cocoon plugins))

Posted by Christian Haul <ha...@dvs1.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de>.
On 06.Aug.2002 -- 09:48 AM, Torsten Curdt wrote:
> <snip/>
>
> > I would suggest something like this:
> >
> > Core:
> > src/java/org/apache/cocoon/*
> >
> > FOP module:
> > src/modules/fop/build.xml
> > src/modules/fop/lib/*
> > src/modules/fop/java/org/apache/cocoon/serialization/*
> > src/modules/fop/java/org/apache/cocoon/components/*
> > src/modules/fop/samples/*

Just one minor point: we have already "components", "parts", and
"modules". We need yet another term for this. "block" is too much
associated with a much richer implementation although this might
evolve into "blocks".

But yes, we should keep the original package names and thus the
original directory structure.

Another point: This this won't break anything, we could do it for
2.0.4 as well and "mv" (unix: move) the files on
cvs.apache.org. Loosing cvs logs is a pitty and should be avoided.

	Chris.

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@s-und-n.de>.
John Morrison wrote:
> The only thing I'm unsure about is
>
> src/java for core and
> src/modules for modules... wouldn't either
>
> src/java and src/java/modules or
> src/java/core with src/java/modules or
> src/core and src/modules be better?

Hmm, right, as we have more than just java code the last one
seems the best solution, or we could (I like adding more choices...):
src/... for the core
modules/ for (guess what)

Carsten

RE: [CLEANCOON] Let's clean Cocoon and modularize it (was: Cocoon Organization (Cocoon plugins))

Posted by John Morrison <jo...@ntlworld.com>.
> <snip/>
>
> > I would suggest something like this:
> >
> > Core:
> > src/java/org/apache/cocoon/*
> >
> > FOP module:
> > src/modules/fop/build.xml
> > src/modules/fop/lib/*
> > src/modules/fop/java/org/apache/cocoon/serialization/*
> > src/modules/fop/java/org/apache/cocoon/components/*
> > src/modules/fop/samples/*
> >
> > etc.

The only thing I'm unsure about is

src/java for core and
src/modules for modules... wouldn't either

src/java and src/java/modules or
src/java/core with src/java/modules or
src/core and src/modules be better?

J.

Re: [CLEANCOON] Let's clean Cocoon and modularize it (was: Cocoon Organization (Cocoon plugins))

Posted by Torsten Curdt <tc...@dff.st>.
<snip/>

> I would suggest something like this:
>
> Core:
> src/java/org/apache/cocoon/*
>
> FOP module:
> src/modules/fop/build.xml
> src/modules/fop/lib/*
> src/modules/fop/java/org/apache/cocoon/serialization/*
> src/modules/fop/java/org/apache/cocoon/components/*
> src/modules/fop/samples/*
>
> etc.

+1
--
Torsten

Re: [CLEANCOON] Let's clean Cocoon and modularize it (was: Cocoon Organization (Cocoon plugins))

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@codeconsult.ch>.
On Tuesday 06 August 2002 09:56, Stephan Michels wrote:
>. . .
> And want about the builded cocoon.jar. Does it includes all
> selected modules, or does we have a
> cocoon-core.jar
> cocoon-fop.jar
> cocoon-forms.jar
> etc. ?
>. . .

If there are several jars I think their names should include version numbers:

cocoon-core-2.0.3.jar
cocoon-forms-2.0.3.jar
. . .

to avoid version mismatches when installing/upgrading.

-Bertrand

RE: [CLEANCOON] Let's clean Cocoon and modularize it (was: Cocoon Organization (Cocoon plugins))

Posted by Stephan Michels <st...@apache.org>.
On Tue, 6 Aug 2002, Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

> Stephan Michels wrote:
> >
> > How should this look like?
> >
> > src/java/org/apache/cocoon/modules/forms/components/*
> > src/java/org/apache/cocoon/modules/forms/generation/*
> > src/webapp/samples/forms/*
> >
> > src/java/org/apache/cocoon/modules/fop/components/*
> > src/java/org/apache/cocoon/modules/fop/serialization/*
> > src/webapp/samples/fop/*
> > etc.
> >
> > Like this? It is more cleaner, but I see directories, which owns only
> > one class :-|
> >
> This is the compatibility burdon...

hmm I see ...

> I would suggest something like this:
>
> Core:
> src/java/org/apache/cocoon/*

When I we do such big reorganzation, I would prefer
src/core/java/org/apache/cocoon/*
src/core/lib/*

> FOP module:
> src/modules/fop/build.xml
> src/modules/fop/lib/*
> src/modules/fop/java/org/apache/cocoon/serialization/*
> src/modules/fop/java/org/apache/cocoon/components/*
> src/modules/fop/samples/*

Then we will have a similar build system like excalibur ;-)
I like this idea ;-) How about the scratchpad? Do we need this
anymore?

And want about the builded cocoon.jar. Does it includes all
selected modules, or does we have a
cocoon-core.jar
cocoon-fop.jar
cocoon-forms.jar
etc. ?

Stephan Michels.

RE: [CLEANCOON] Let's clean Cocoon and modularize it (was: Cocoon Organization (Cocoon plugins))

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@s-und-n.de>.

Posted by Stephan Michels <st...@apache.org>.

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@s-und-n.de>.

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
Berin Loritsch wrote:
>>From: Stephan Michels [mailto:stephan@apache.org]
>>

> <snip/>
>
>>Why do we need sub directories? I like Andrew's idea with the
>>xconfig. All we need some more properties for the buid file.
>>
>>.ant.properties.minimal:
>>include.forms=no
>>include.databases=no
>>include.fop=no
>>[...]
>>
>>.ant.properties.full
>>include.forms=yes
>>include.databases=yes
>>include.fop=yes
>>[...]
>>
>>And the build file can exclude the files for the subprojects,
>>similar to the prepare-src-main task.
>

> Because you will run across issues where hidden interdependencies
> will crop up.  Dependencies need to be planned.

Gump descriptor is made to handle these interdependencies, in a similar
way to which Excalibur does it.

Basically all these "modules" are defined as projects, and should be
declared as such.
I'm working on it on a simplified Gump ant task-target, and maybe it
would be the best thing to do.

As for the branch, it's evident that it will not be done, so I will
continue to help on a clear evolutive path, with minimal refactorings.

I think that it's the best thing to do too now, the comments were very
well done and insightful.

                      -oOo-

What about this:

src/framework/java|lib|*/*
src/core/java|lib|*/*
src/components/*componentname*/java|lib|*/*

I will put many components in Morphos, so we will have to see how we can
interoperate from a project POV.
Any ideas?

             - verba volant, scripta manent -

RE: [CLEANCOON] Let's clean Cocoon and modularize it (was: Cocoon Organization (Cocoon plugins))

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org>.

Posted by Stephan Michels <st...@apache.org>.

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@s-und-n.de>.
+5

Carsten

Posted by Christian Haul <ha...@dvs1.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de>.

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@wkwyw.net>.
Sylvain Wallez wrote:

> Something we didn't talk of up to now is testing : subsitemap handling
> by the treeprocessor is broken in the 2.0.3 release because of a
> change in Avalon which had a bad side effect. I'm in the ones to blame
> as I checked the 2.0.3 before it gets released in its default
> configuration only, which is using the compiled engine.
>
> However, such a bug would have been easily found if we had both
> repeatable unit and functional testing. Testing Avalon components and
> SAX-based components may not be easy, but we have to do it in order to
> improve the stability and our confidence in the code base.

I too am having problems getting people to buy Cocoon due to stability
issues, lets get things under control while we still can.

I promised some time ago that I would get started on building tests.
Other things have overtaken me at present and I will not get chance to
focus on this for at least a couple of months. However, I am still here,
still watching what's going on and still intending on building some test
harnesses when the time comes.

If people want to get started before I come back for good then all the
better!

Ross

Re: [CLEANCOON] Let's clean Cocoon and modularize it (was: Cocoon Organization (Cocoon plugins))

Posted by "Robert S. Koberg" <ro...@koberg.com>.
Torsten Curdt wrote:
> On Tuesday 06 August 2002 18:34, Robert S. Koberg wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>Berin Loritsch wrote:
>>
>>>What Cocoon needs to test pipelines is an XML Diff utility.  I think
>>>I remember something about such a beast existing, but I have no links
>>>or licensing info.  You need to compare the generated output to the
>>>expected output.  If it is different, it fails the test.
>>
>>http://subversion.tigris.org brings diffs back well-formed.
>

> A well-formed diff is not the same thing... one thing is a node based diff,
> the other one is a text based diff but with xml output. You sure subversion
> can do a node based diff?
>
> the only thing I found was http://xmlunit.sourceforge.net/ which should be
> exactly what we need... plus an easy way of constructing a pipeline within a
> testcase.
>
> ...and it comes with a BSD license. is that ok to go into our cvs?
> --

I am invetigating using subversion as the DB & repository. It use
Berkeley DB (who just released an alpha version of their Native XML DB
with a java api).

You can access an XML piece right from the repository locally
(file:///path/to/resource/in/subversion) or through webdav
(https://path/to/resource/in/subversion) or other ways.

If the pipeline gets the source file directly from subversion you might
have what you are looking for?? You bring an XML piece through a
pipeline, if it finds a conflict it transforms an informative message to
the output or takes whatever action necessary.

I am just thinking, don't know how practical...

best,
-Rob

Re: [CLEANCOON] Let's clean Cocoon and modularize it (was: Cocoon Organization (Cocoon plugins))

Posted by Torsten Curdt <tc...@dff.st>.

Posted by "Robert S. Koberg" <ro...@koberg.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.

Berin Loritsch wrote:
>>From: Torsten Curdt [mailto:tcurdt@dff.st]
>>
>>we have some simple test cases for our transformers. which is
>>basically
>>building a mini pipeline.
>>
>>    public void testXXXX() throws CascadingAssertionFailedError {
>>
>>        assertTransformation(srcXML, new MyTransformer(), dstXML);
>>    }
>>
>>It would be cool to record a orignial pipeline and save it's
>>states...
>>something like one could mime using the log transformer:
>>
>>  <map:generate src="..."/>
>>  <map:transform type"log"/> ---> state A
>>  <map:transform type"log"/> ---> state B
>>
>>Then we can pass point A and B to the testcase and see if the
>>behaviour has
>>changed...
>>
>>This won't solve all problems... but...
>>
>>Just some RT ;-)
>

> What Cocoon needs to test pipelines is an XML Diff utility.  I think
> I remember something about such a beast existing, but I have no links
> or licensing info.  You need to compare the generated output to the
> expected output.  If it is different, it fails the test.

Three tools:

http://www.vmguys.com/vmtools/
http://diffxml.sourceforge.net/
http://www.cs.ucl.ac.uk/staff/c.nentwich/treediff/

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org>.

Posted by Torsten Curdt <tc...@dff.st>.

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org>.

Posted by Sylvain Wallez <sy...@anyware-tech.com>.
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

>People,
>
>it's really interesting and I must confess also amuzing to follow
>such a thread like this.
>
>It started with a list of problems we currently have and a
>proposal for reorganizing the project structure.
>And it didn't take long until several come up and say, "Hey,
>the solution is simple: we make Cocoon 3/4 or even Cocoon XP."
>
>How will we ever get people/companies to use Cocoon if we
>change (or refactor) the core every five months? Is this
>refactoring the only solution? Is it the best solution?
>
>You all should now that even changing a package name is a
>real PITA for updating an already running system.
>
>So, *if* we vote on refactoring or starting a new Cocoon
>major version, I'm definitly -1 on this.

Same for me : -1

I experienced recently a customer which preferred JSP/Struts to Cocoon.
Cocoon seemed really a nice thing to them, allowing their app to be more
cleanly built than with Struts, but they were afraid of both its
stability and the important learning curve, even if my company was able
to provide support and consulting.

So if we want to be able to sell cocoon-based solutions or see large
companies adopt Cocoon we *need* this stability.

Something we didn't talk of up to now is testing : subsitemap handling
by the treeprocessor is broken in the 2.0.3 release because of a change
in Avalon which had a bad side effect. I'm in the ones to blame as I
checked the 2.0.3 before it gets released in its default configuration
only, which is using the compiled engine.

However, such a bug would have been easily found if we had both
repeatable unit and functional testing. Testing Avalon components and
SAX-based components may not be easy, but we have to do it in order to
improve the stability and our confidence in the code base.

>I still believe that we can solve some (perhaps not all)
>problems simply by organizing our project structure and
>by shifting our activities from "hacking new features"
>to "making a more perfect solution".

+10, even if hacking may be the funniest part of the job. But hacking
tests can be fun also ;)

Sylvain (on a rainy vacation afternoon...)

--
Sylvain Wallez

Re: wiki options (was: Re: [CLEANCOON] Let's clean Cocoon and modularize it . . .)

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@codeconsult.ch>.
On Tuesday 06 August 2002 16:42, Sylvain Wallez wrote:
>. . .
> Have you looked at JSPWiki at http://www.ecyrd.com/JSPWiki ?
>. . .

Yes, someone mentioned it here recently. Looks good indeed.

>. . .
> Writing on a wiki is also different from writing on a mailing list : on
> a ML, you can throw an idea in a few lines and see if you get some
> feedback. On a wiki, your thoughts have to be more cleanly structured in
> order to be presented. This also helps maturing ideas.
>. . .

100% agreed. Hopefully this gets going for Cocoon...

-Bertrand

Re: Cocoon Wiki (was: Re: [CLEANCOON] Let's clean Cocoon and modularize it . . .)

Posted by Le...@ingenta.com.
Diana:
>>Sorry if this is an stupid question, but can Wikis check
>>links (included in submitted content)?

No. But there are automated tools for checking link integrity, I believe
there are some open source options if this is a burden.

Steven:
> I've just put up a copy of JSPWiki on my server, and Leigh Dodds of
> Eclectic and xml.com fame is filling it already with his contributions
> (lots).

Yep I've just completed a dump of all my research notes. Hope they're useful.

> <quote src="leigh" medium="private mail">
>    I think just putting up a chunk of content will decide where the
>    Wiki lives.
> </quote>

I should qualify this and say that I wouldn't presume to pre-empt any 'official'
process, but I also didn't want to see several Wikis spring up with overlapping
content. So I just picked one that used the same platform as my research notes
instance, and pasted the docs in.

Besides, Wiki sites work better once they've been seeded with content.

> Content is king, and we should applaud Leigh for giving us such a
> tremendous headstart. Feeling much obliged - we will take of this.

No probs. I haven't had time to contribute code, so this is my way of helping out.

Cheers,

L.

Re: Cocoon Wiki (was: Re: [CLEANCOON] Let's clean Cocoon and modularize it . . .)

Posted by Sylvain Wallez <sy...@anyware-tech.com>.
Steven Noels wrote:

> Diana Shannon wrote:
>

> I've just put up a copy of JSPWiki on my server, and Leigh Dodds of
> Eclectic and xml.com fame is filling it already with his contributions
> (lots).
>
>> Syvain, how's http://www.anyware-tech.com/wikiland/ faring?

Once again about wikiland : it's an attempt to build a Cocoon-based
wiki, and feeding it with Cocoon-related content was meant to attract
Cocoon-related people. And its rather asleep now...

> <quote src="leigh" medium="private mail">
>   I think just putting up a chunk of content will decide where the
> Wiki lives.
> </quote>
>
> Content is king, and we should applaud Leigh for giving us such a
> tremendous headstart. Feeling much obliged - we will take of this.
>
> If you feel like wiki'ing, have a look at http://outerthought.net/wiki/

I completely agree with the above and what others said in this thread :
we should not delay the use of a wiki because we don't have a
Cocoon-based wiki. And even more because a wiki *is* its content more
than its infrastructure.

Let's start _today_ with something that works _today_ and if one day a
cool Cocoon-based wiki is available (be it wikiland or something else),
then we may consider migrating the content.

So let's go on with Steven's JSPWiki installation and see how it lives.
It's better to do something with tools that may not be the ultimate ones
than building these ultimate tools and delay forever what we wanted to
do with them.

Sylvain

--
Sylvain Wallez

Re: Cocoon Wiki (was: Re: [CLEANCOON] Let's clean Cocoon and modularize it . . .)

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.
Diana Shannon wrote:

> On Tuesday, August 6, 2002, at 02:24  PM, Steven Noels wrote:
>

>>> Writing on a wiki is also different from writing on a mailing list : on
>>> a ML, you can throw an idea in a few lines and see if you get some
>>> feedback.

I didn't wrote that, check your indentation ;-)

> True, but on cocoon-users, there are some great threads which yield good
> doc material. The problem now is a lack of doc committers and patches
> from volunteers. Perhaps we should be encouraging users to post their
> summaries in a wiki-like grammar on cocoon-users. I guess the quality of
> doc-oriented wikis will depend in part if uber-knowledgeable people,
> like Vadim, Christian, and others, spend time monitoring/editing
> doc-wikis like they do currently on cocoon-users. Since Vadim started
> this wiki topic, sounds like he'll be visiting it??? Seems to me we'd
> need a QA stage before commits to cvs.

Agree. A Wiki might be such a QA tool, I believe. And since the back-end
of JSPWiki (read below) stores its content as plain text files, and we
have Chaperon at our disposition, XML-izing the result afterwards
wouldn't be too much of a problem.

>>> On a wiki, your thoughts have to be more cleanly structured in
>>> order to be presented. This also helps maturing ideas.
>>>
> Yes, but in some ways, **until** we can transform Wiki content into a
> structure based on document.dtd, etc., isn't this a step backwards for
> some of the more complex-structured docs? In other words, it seems it
> could significantly increase the burden on committers making periodic
> updates to cvs, etc.  I also worry a bit about managing links introduced
> by Wiki docs. Link troubleshooting already consumes a huge chunk of my
> volunteer time. Sorry if this is an stupid question, but can Wikis check
> links (included in submitted content)?

Must be investigated, but I consider *any* progress to be important
enough to live with the results (and pitfalls) they might cause. Wiki
links are only 'established' once the target page exists. We will have
too see how this transposes into the XML world.

>> A wiki for RT's would be really, really great.
>
> I think we should seriously consider doing individual FAQs/Topics this
> way, i.e., one page for each FAQ/Topic.
>
>> Do I proceed with my setup?
>
> Would this now become a Forrest sub-project? Will doc committers have
> access to the resources/files they need?

I've just put up a copy of JSPWiki on my server, and Leigh Dodds of
Eclectic and xml.com fame is filling it already with his contributions
(lots).

> Syvain, how's http://www.anyware-tech.com/wikiland/ faring?

<quote src="leigh" medium="private mail">
   I think just putting up a chunk of content will decide where the
   Wiki lives.
</quote>

Content is king, and we should applaud Leigh for giving us such a
tremendous headstart. Feeling much obliged - we will take of this.

If you feel like wiki'ing, have a look at http://outerthought.net/wiki/

</Steven>

Re: Cocoon Wiki (was: Re: [CLEANCOON] Let's clean Cocoon and modularize it . . .)

Posted by MJ Ray <ma...@cloaked.freeserve.co.uk>.
Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org> wrote:
> [...] it is currently not up-to-speed with other Wiki implementations
[...]

Please be cautious.  The original wiki at http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?FrontPage
should be the benchmark, not any of the BellsWhistlesAndStuffTheWikiWay
implementations.  I don't know whether the others you mention are from that
family, but wikis are intentionally lightweight.

--

---'
|-----[ Luminas internet applications http://www.luminas.co.uk/ ]-----|

Re: Cocoon Wiki (was: Re: [CLEANCOON] Let's clean Cocoon and modularize it . . .)

Posted by Ulrich Mayring <ul...@denic.de>.
Steven Noels wrote:

> Thanks Ulrich. We all understand your point. It's just that we have
> other priorities right now. Or better: this is a volunteer effort, you
> can't force people to go into your direction.

Of course not, but I am not aware of having tried.

 > If you want to influence
> the course of an open source project, the only way to do so is by
> contributing (and I know you did with Avalon).

Isn't that what I'm doing right now? Contributing ideas. Whether they
are useful to others is another question - but surely no-one gets dumber
by reading my comments? :)

As for contributing code, I was not able to explain to my employer the
ROI of migrating all our Cocoon1-based apps to Cocoon2. So all I can do
now is comment occasionally. The ROI of Avalon/Phoenix was easier to
explain and they had zero docs at the time.

cheers,

Ulrich

--
Ulrich Mayring
DENIC eG, Systementwicklung

Re: Cocoon Wiki (was: Re: [CLEANCOON] Let's clean Cocoon and modularize it . . .)

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.
Ulrich Mayring wrote:

> Andrew C. Oliver wrote:
>
>> <snip/>
>> Every documentation discussion has broken down into a "lets develop
>> undocumented tool X to serve the documentation!"  and
>> faded.
>

> My point: X should be Cocoon. Does Adobe ship the docs for Acrobat in
> MS-Word format, because PDF creation is too unwieldy? No, they made PDF
> creation easy instead.
>
> Ulrich

Thanks Ulrich. We all understand your point. It's just that we have
other priorities right now. Or better: this is a volunteer effort, you
can't force people to go into your direction. If you want to influence
the course of an open source project, the only way to do so is by
contributing (and I know you did with Avalon). For documentation,
content is equally important as infrastructure. Some of us are focussing
on content. If you come up (preferably together with Olivier Rossel)
with a Wiki solution that runs on top of Cocoon and offers a
footprint/feature set comparable with JSPWiki (which is a pretty
lightweight WikiEngine anyhow), I'm quite sure it will be well received
by this community. I'd be happy to host it, too.

I should be leaving on holidays soon. If you are looking for a group of
like-minded documentation bone-headed people to discuss documentation
infrastructure tools, please go and visit http://xml.apache.org/forrest/.

Cheers,

</Steven>

Re: Cocoon Wiki (was: Re: [CLEANCOON] Let's clean Cocoon and modularize it . . .)

Posted by Ulrich Mayring <ul...@denic.de>.
Andrew C. Oliver wrote:
> Ulrich Mayring wrote:
>
>> My point: X should be Cocoon. Does Adobe ship the docs for Acrobat in
>> MS-Word format, because PDF creation is too unwieldy? No, they made
>> PDF creation easy instead.
>
> My point:  So develop the tool.  We'll switch to it once you develop the
> tool.

I'm not a Cocoon developer anymore :(

 > The rest of us shouldn't STOP documenting until an adequate
> Cocoon Wiki exists.

Agreed. So, everyone is busy writing docs now? :)

 > Did Microsoft close Hotmail until it could convert
> it to NT?  No.  Hotmail ran for a good year or two on UNIX servers after
> being bought by MS.

Initially MS wasn't aware of the bad publicity this could create, so it
was deemed a non-problem. After the bad publicity arose, it became their
first priority to switch over to NT. That took as long as it took, but
it was first priority.

The developers of BeOS were compelled to develop under BeOS. The CEO
said that the product would only become good, if the developers actually
had to work with it. They were given intentionally slow machines, too :)

Ulrich

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.
Ulrich Mayring wrote:

> Andrew C. Oliver wrote:
>
>> <snip/>
>> Every documentation discussion has broken down into a "lets develop
>> undocumented tool X to serve the documentation!"  and
>> faded.
>

> My point: X should be Cocoon. Does Adobe ship the docs for Acrobat in
> MS-Word format, because PDF creation is too unwieldy? No, they made
> PDF creation easy instead.

My point:  So develop the tool.  We'll switch to it once you develop the
tool.  The rest of us shouldn't STOP documenting until an adequate
Cocoon Wiki exists.  Did Microsoft close Hotmail until it could convert
it to NT?  No.  Hotmail ran for a good year or two on UNIX servers after
being bought by MS.  Documentation is MORE critical than hosting the
documentation on a Cocoon-based site.  Just like MS signing up more
hotmail users so that they could invade their privacy was MORE important
then running it on NT at first.

-Andy

Posted by Ulrich Mayring <ul...@denic.de>.

Re: Cocoon Priorities [was: Wiki (was: Re: [CLEANCOON] Let's clean Cocoon and modularize it . . .)]

Posted by Ivelin Ivanov <iv...@apache.org>.
Agreed!

We've started discussing the release plan for 2.1 and we ended up on another
planet again.

Here go my votes in order of priority:

1) Feature freeze for 2.1

2) Announce 2.1 Alpha stage on the main Web Site, so that people that don't
follow the threads are aware of the plan.

3) Improve documentation for 2.1

4) Announce one month voting period for users and developers to decide which
components of Cocoon do not need to be included in the core.

5) Move low voted components back to scratchpad.

6) Announce 2.1 Beta in December-January timeframe

7) Wait until majority of us are comfortable with the quality of the
documentation and the code.

8) Release 2.1 in March-April time frame

As a side task, if someone is willing to work on a build script which allows
modules to be included or excluded from a build, it will be great. While
this is critical for an OS kernel, it is not necessarily a show stopper for
a J2EE server. Weblogic comes as a 100mb install, while we don't use more
than 10mb. Same with WebSphere and other J2EE servers. Cocoon is not exactly
a J2EE container, but it is as sophisticated in many ways.
Disk space is not such a big issue. As long as it is a stable build, size is
not that important on the server side.

Also, when are we merging Forrest with Cocoon's web site?

Regards,

Ivelin

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.
<snip/>

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.
Ulrich Mayring wrote:

> I'm sure there are good reasons, but from a marketing point of view this
> is a show-stopper. It gives the impression that Cocoon is so hard to use
> that even the devs themselves prefer lighter tools.

Showstopper is a strong word - use it cautiously IMO.

There's two problems here:

  * building the app
  * hosting the app

Building the app shouldn't be a problem, hence wikiLand
(http://www.lolive.net/). From what I can see however, this is a one-man
show and it is currently not up-to-speed with other Wiki implementations
(not meaning to criticize the work of Olivier, just stating the facts
as-is). JSPWiki has a small but thriving community and is more
feature-advanced then wikiLand.

Now about hosting a Cocoon Wiki:

I and some others have been spending literally *hours* discussing the
use of Java webapps on ASF-infrastructure for Forrest purposes on
infrastructure@apache.org. Given the current state of Java VM's on
FreeBSD and other issues, this is not an option on daedalus nor on
icarus. Pier Fumagalli has offered us access to nagoya, but given my
lack of experience with the Solaris platform, and the fact that Pier
already is doing many thing for ASF, I went for my own server instead
for various Cocoon/Forrest/documentation related experimentations.

I don't have the knowledge nor the time to host a true Sourceforge-like
Cocoon development environment, where people can work on a shared
Cocoon-based webapp, recycle Tomcat as needed, configure cocoon.xconf,
etc, all in a secure and easy-to-maintain way. So I opted for the
sysadmin-fascist approach: I am root on my own server, so I can install
what I want and hopefully provide some useful tools to the community.

I use what is in my reach: a simple Linux server, fortunately well
connected, with tools I can easily install and administer. JSPWiki seems
such a tool to me. After my holidays I will investigate how I can
republish the stored Wiki pages as xdoc XML *through* Cocoon using some
decent skin, as a testcase to migrate Wiki content to xdocs in CVS.
CocoDocoWiki should primarily be used by the documentation contributors,
not necessarily by the community at large - there exist people in our
community that are able and willing to graduate Wiki docs to real Cocoon
documentation.

All this talk about logistics is boring me to death. There was the issue
of not being able to persist [RT]s using some Wiki-like website. So Andy
and I investigated whether we could host such a website. Then Leigh
jumped up with loads of doco contribs. I consider this rapid advancement
of content- and process-related matters much more important than the
technology being used.

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.
Ulrich Mayring wrote:

> Andrew C. Oliver wrote:
>
>> Personally....  I feel content is king.  The rest is details.  Lets
>> start generating more content..then we'll figure out how to organize
>> it, and then figure out the technical details (which often seem to
>> become the focus....but this is WRONG)
>

> Generally I would agree with you. But as with all good rules, there
> are exceptions. Content is NOT king, when there is not at least a
> basic presentation layer and a sense of "we practice what we preach"
> aka "proof of concept".
>
> When Cocoon first started out, many people got excited and went to
> coding. But no-one could be bothered to use this new tool for the most
> basic purpose: to serve its own website. Even today, generations and
> generations of code later, Cocoon does not serve its own website. And
> now it does not serve its own Wiki.
>
> People from outside ask: what kind of web publishing technology cannot
> even serve its own website? And, Cocoon wants to replace JSP, but it
> uses JSPWiki?
>
> I'm sure there are good reasons, but from a marketing point of view
> this is a show-stopper. It gives the impression that Cocoon is so hard
> to use that even the devs themselves prefer lighter tools.

So you'd rather have NO documentation than serve it on un-cool tools?

As for why Cocoon doesn't serve its own website, I think that has more
to do with the fact Apache has
SEVERAL projects to serve websites and *few* servers doing it.  If EVER
project that CAN served its
own website, we'd need some new hardware.

Anyhow, the wiki has been set up outside project resources.  The only
resolve those who object really have is
not to use it.  Which is unfortunate but your choice.  I applaud the
setup of this wiki and plan to contribute!

-Andy

Posted by Ulrich Mayring <ul...@denic.de>.

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.

> Apparently ;-)
>
> Seriously, I think we will have both, but perhaps for different reasons:
>
> * Wiki for document creation and collaboration, for [RT] sharing and
> the like
> * xdocs for reference documentation, in-sync with releases/branches,
> incorporating Javadoc, etc etc
>
> Don't forget Wikis have no hierarchy (except as made apparent through
> hyperlinkage), all Wiki docs are stored in one directory and are not
> very well organized serverside (which is the purpose, of course)
>
> I see CocoDocoWiki as a breeding pool, and grown-up fishes can then
> migrate to xdoc heaven ;-)
>
> </Steven>

+1  - And later when we have lots and lots of documentation in the Wiki
and its a problem, we can think about Cool Tool X.  But until then...
Developing Cool Tool X is like driving a Battleship through a small canal.

-andy

Re: Cocoon Wiki (was: Re: [CLEANCOON] Let's clean Cocoon and modularize it . . .)

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.

Posted by Diana Shannon <sh...@apache.org>.
On Tuesday, August 6, 2002, at 04:32  PM, Leigh.Dodds@ingenta.com wrote:

> As far as QA goes, I'd suggest this be applied to Wiki content to
> make 'official docs', but you can still point people at the Wiki
> for information, and say "here be dragons".

But making "official" cvs xdocs from the wiki still seems like a PITA --
at least at the moment. Why not wrap a decent skin on the wiki site, do
periodic QA, and dump the periodic result (html docs?) into the cvs/web
site for distros/snapshots, etc. Why do we need cvs xdocs anymore?

-- Diana (suddenly feeling very liberated)

Re: Cocoon Wiki (was: Re: [CLEANCOON] Let's clean Cocoon and modularize it . . .)

Posted by Le...@ingenta.com.
> True, but on cocoon-users, there are some great threads which yield good
> doc material.

There certainly are, and I'd hope this could be captured in the Wiki.

> The problem now is a lack of doc committers and patches
> from volunteers.

Lowering the barrier to entry (making it easy to submit content, add
corrections, etc may resolve this)

> Perhaps we should be encouraging users to post their
> summaries in a wiki-like grammar on cocoon-users.

Why not directly into the Wiki?

> I guess the quality of
> doc-oriented wikis will depend in part if uber-knowledgeable people,
> like Vadim, Christian, and others, spend time monitoring/editing
> doc-wikis like they do currently on cocoon-users. Since Vadim started
> this wiki topic, sounds like he'll be visiting it??? Seems to me we'd
> need a QA stage before commits to cvs.

Can't claim to be uber-knowledgeable, but I'll certainly be keeping an eye on
Steven's Wiki, I've just added a chunk of content, as you can see:

http://outerthought.net/wiki/Wiki.jsp?page=RecentChanges

One thing I like about JSPWiki is that it has an RSS feed, so you can
monitor changes to the site with an RSS reader right from your
desktop, you don't have to keep trawling through the site.

As far as QA goes, I'd suggest this be applied to Wiki content to
make 'official docs', but you can still point people at the Wiki
for information, and say "here be dragons".

> Yes, but in some ways, **until** we can transform Wiki content into a
> structure based on document.dtd, etc., isn't this a step backwards for
> some of the more complex-structured docs?

You can do this with WikiML (http://www.wikiml.org) amongst other things.

Cheers,

L.

Re: Cocoon Wiki (was: Re: [CLEANCOON] Let's clean Cocoon and modularize it . . .)

Posted by Diana Shannon <sh...@apache.org>.
On Tuesday, August 6, 2002, at 02:24  PM, Steven Noels wrote:

>> Writing on a wiki is also different from writing on a mailing list : on
>> a ML, you can throw an idea in a few lines and see if you get some
>> feedback.

True, but on cocoon-users, there are some great threads which yield good
doc material. The problem now is a lack of doc committers and patches
from volunteers. Perhaps we should be encouraging users to post their
summaries in a wiki-like grammar on cocoon-users. I guess the quality of
doc-oriented wikis will depend in part if uber-knowledgeable people,
like Vadim, Christian, and others, spend time monitoring/editing
doc-wikis like they do currently on cocoon-users. Since Vadim started
this wiki topic, sounds like he'll be visiting it??? Seems to me we'd
need a QA stage before commits to cvs.

>> On a wiki, your thoughts have to be more cleanly structured in
>> order to be presented. This also helps maturing ideas.

Yes, but in some ways, **until** we can transform Wiki content into a
structure based on document.dtd, etc., isn't this a step backwards for
some of the more complex-structured docs? In other words, it seems it
could significantly increase the burden on committers making periodic
updates to cvs, etc.  I also worry a bit about managing links introduced
by Wiki docs. Link troubleshooting already consumes a huge chunk of my
volunteer time. Sorry if this is an stupid question, but can Wikis check
links (included in submitted content)?

> A wiki for RT's would be really, really great.
I think we should seriously consider doing individual FAQs/Topics this
way, i.e., one page for each FAQ/Topic.

> Do I proceed with my setup?
Would this now become a Forrest sub-project? Will doc committers have
access to the resources/files they need?

Syvain, how's http://www.anyware-tech.com/wikiland/ faring?

-- Diana

Cocoon Wiki (was: Re: [CLEANCOON] Let's clean Cocoon and modularize it . . .)

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.
Sylvain Wallez wrote:

> Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
>
>  >On Tuesday 06 August 2002 08:58, Steven Noels wrote:
>  >
>  >
>  >>. . .
>  >>phpWiki looks nice, but running PHP
>  >>as an Apache2 module doesn't work for me.
>  >></sidenote>
>  >>. . .
>  >>
>  >>
>  >
>  >I don't know about an RCS backend but these might be interesting:
>  >
>  >http://chiki.emaho.org/
>  >based on Struts
>  >
>  >http://moin.sourceforge.net/
>  >Phyton-based but provides an XML view of the content
>  >
>  >

> Have you looked at JSPWiki at http://www.ecyrd.com/JSPWiki ? It's very
> lightweight, and has two features I wanted : versioning and support for
> tables. It has a pluggable versioned filesystem implementation which
> come in two flavors : RCS and flat file.

I had it already installed at http://outerthought.net/wiki/, but I
wasn't able to get RCS working immediately - did you? I will try to
tweak it this evening. Chiki offers versioning information as well.

> We've been using it internally for a few weeks (I tweaked a bit the
> presentation) and I must say a wiki really changes the way of building
> and sharing information in a group. Some people (including myself) also
> use this wiki as a personal scratchbook because of its ease of use, and
> the fact that it is visible to others turns a personal itch into some
> collective thinking.
>
> Writing on a wiki is also different from writing on a mailing list : on
> a ML, you can throw an idea in a few lines and see if you get some
> feedback. On a wiki, your thoughts have to be more cleanly structured in
> order to be presented. This also helps maturing ideas.
>
> As said in Nicola Ken's signature, "verba volant, scripta manent"
> (discussions get forgotten, only _writings_ remain). And the experience
> of lost RTs shows that a mailing list, even with its archive, is mainly
> discussions.

A wiki for RT's would be really, really great. Do I proceed with my setup?

</Steven>

Re: wiki options (was: Re: [CLEANCOON] Let's clean Cocoon and modularize it . . .)

Posted by Sylvain Wallez <sy...@anyware-tech.com>.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@codeconsult.ch>.

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.
Andrew C. Oliver wrote:

> I have wikis installed on my server...  its written in PERL.. . Its very
> simple.... I Has difference highlighting.  See here:
> http://www.superlinksoftware.com/cgi-bin/jugwiki.pl

lol :-)

http://outerthought.net/chiki/

> So I saw 2 people who'd like to see me set the wiki up.  I don't mind
> but I don't want to set 4 wikis up.  If you want to set it up thats
> totally cool with me.. . otherwise I will.  Let me know.

Chiki uses XML as it's backend format. Its TextFormattingRules however
are quite strange compared with more common WikiEngines.

</Steven>

Re: [CLEANCOON] Let's clean Cocoon and modularize it (was: Cocoon Organization (Cocoon plugins))

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.
Leigh Dodds wrote:

>><sidenote>
>>On the doco infrastructure level:
>>I've been trying to set up a WikiWiki web along the other Cocoon/Forrest
>>resources on outerthought.net yesterday evening, but failed to find a
>>decent Java port with RCS-backend. phpWiki looks nice, but running PHP
>>as an Apache2 module doesn't work for me.
>></sidenote>
>

> Have you tried JSPWiki? I've been using it for a while and it's pretty good.
> Even has an RSS 1.0 feed of the changes. RCS backend is supported
> (although I've not used this yet).
>
> http://www.ecyrd.com/JSPWiki/

I was actually trying that one - no luck with RCS however. Its interface
is kind of barebones, however (not that this is overly important, of
course). I've got a test instance up and running at
http://outerthought.net/wiki/.

> As an aside, something else worth looking at is WikiML:
>
> http://www.wikiml.org
>
> It's a SAX parser for reading Wiki markup and spitting out XHTML.
> It'd be very simple to repackage it as a Cocoon Generator, and
> generalise the markup it creates.

Chaperon basically does the same thing, IIRC.

</Steven>

Re: [CLEANCOON] Let's clean Cocoon and modularize it (was: Cocoon Organization (Cocoon plugins))

Posted by Sylvain Wallez <sy...@anyware-tech.com>.
Jason Foster wrote:

> <snip/>
>
> With respect to choosing a Wiki, I think that we should (to use a
> Steve Jobs euphemism) "eat our own dogfood" and either use the
> existing WikiLand or...

As I said before, wikiland isn't ready _today_ for us to use it. Let's
not once again fall into the "build the tool first"-syndrome. Let's
install an existing implementation somewhere and start using it. If one
day wikiland is featurefull and stable enough, then a migation can be
thought of.

Also, if Andrew doesn't want to set up an additional wiki on his site, I
would be happy to host it at Anyware. This would be a JSPWiki, which we
already use internally.

Sylvain

--
Sylvain Wallez

Re: [CLEANCOON] Let's clean Cocoon and modularize it (was: Cocoon Organization (Cocoon plugins))

Posted by Jason Foster <ja...@uwaterloo.ca>.
<snip/>

With respect to choosing a Wiki, I think that we should (to use a Steve
Jobs euphemism) "eat our own dogfood" and either use the existing WikiLand
or...

> As an aside, something else worth looking at is WikiML:
>
> http://www.wikiml.org
>
> It's a SAX parser for reading Wiki markup and spitting out XHTML.
> It'd be very simple to repackage it as a Cocoon Generator, and
> generalise the markup it creates.

Given that Cocoon is supposed to be a whiz-bang framework, it would be
pretty weird, if not disconcerting to people looking at adopting the
framework, not to use it ourselves.

Jason Foster

RE: [CLEANCOON] Let's clean Cocoon and modularize it (was: Cocoon Organization (Cocoon plugins))

Posted by Leigh Dodds <ld...@ingenta.com>.

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@verizon.net>.
> From: Stuart Roebuck [mailto:stuartroebuck@mac.com]
>
> Okay, I wonder if it's time for me to poor water on the flames!
>

> * Cocoon 2.0.3 has some problems with it that need fixing.
>
> * Cocoon 2.1 hasn't been released yet.
>
> * We have three books coming out this year, presumably based around
> Cocoon 2.0.x, or maybe around 2.1.some-months-ago.
>
> * There's still isn't adequate documentation for 2.0.x.
>
> * There's a whole bundle of software running 'out there' based on
> Cocoon 1.x and 2.0.x that relies on any number of the existing
> 'unstable' APIs in Cocoon.
>

> And now we're talking about refactoring everything.
>

> Refactoring is very therapeutic and essential from time to time - like
> tidying your desk.  And untidiness is fine too - part of the creative
> process.
>
> But...
>
> If cocoon is more than just a pet project then it needs some checks
and
> balances.  From time to time someone has to say.  "That's a great
idea,
> keep hold of it and bring it back in six months time!"
>
> Cocoon may be the best thing since sliced bread, but nobody's going to
> put their fingers anywhere near it whilst it's still being sliced.

:)

It's fun and it's to the point.

If any refactoring happens any time soon, I propose to limit it to
repackaging / improving build / etc, with no major code changes.

And, of course, +1 to write down ideas. Wiki would help with it.

Vadim

Posted by Stuart Roebuck <st...@mac.com>.

Posted by Torsten Curdt <tc...@dff.st>.

Posted by Ugo Cei <u....@cbim.it>.
Berin Loritsch wrote:

> Yes, but Ugo did.  Someone else may.

I must admit most of my knowledge of English comes from great rock
songs' lyrics:

	Are there any queers in the theatre tonight?
	Get 'em up against the wall. -- 'Gainst the wall!
	And that one in the spotlight, he don't look right to me.
	Get him up against the wall. -- 'Gainst the wall!
	And that one looks Jewish, and that one's a coon.
	Who let all this riffraff into the room?
	There's one smoking a joint, and another with spots!
	If I had my way I'd have all of ya shot.

		-- "In the Flesh", Pink Floyd

OK, enough off-topic posts, already! ;-)

Posted by Andy Lewis <aj...@ascii27.net>.
Whatever this entails - keep in mind that published books are your friends. Don't make them
useless too quickly. Clean, solid and stable - I'm for it. But don't invalidate the exisitng books
anymore than absolutely necessary...

> Berin Loritsch wrote:
>>>From: Andrew C. Oliver [mailto:acoliver@apache.org]
>>>
>>>That being said...  I  grew up in "the south" and would not
>>>have thought
>>>of this meaning in this context.
>>

>> :)
>>
>> Yes, but Ugo did.  Someone else may.
>>

>> Really, I didn't have that picture in my head, but Ugo's
>> comment jogged my memory.
>>
>> Anyhoo, I have been having a mild itch to completely refactor
>> Cocoon and call it C4 (more for the explosive reference than
>> for the Cocoon evolutionary reference).  However, it has not
>> been itching enough for me to do anything about it.
>
> It's itching me enough :-O
>
> What I am proposing is basically a first step of a refactoring.
> Wanna join the party?
>
> I want a playground to mess with refactorings, so we can see how it can  be done.
> I am doing Morphos for an easy object pipeline.
>
> Since branching seems not to be the solution, do we need another CVS module?

"The heights of genius are only measurable by the depths of stupidity."

Re: [CLEANCOON] Let's clean Cocoon and modularize it (was: Cocoon Organization (Cocoon plugins))

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org>.
> From: Nicola Ken Barozzi [mailto:nicolaken@apache.org]
>
> I want to make it really clear.
>
> I apologise if I unintendedly offended someone, it has never been my
> intention.
>
> The term I unhappily coined came from the words Clean and Cocoon.

No offense.  It was obvious you were ignorant of the cultural biases
in the term.  I was just passing along a funny story that fit the
term.

Re: [CLEANCOON] Let's clean Cocoon and modularize it (was: Cocoon Organization (Cocoon plugins))

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org>.

Re: [RACOON] Let's clean Cocoon and modularize it (was: Cocoon Organization(Cocoonplugins))

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.
Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> Leigh Dodds wrote:
>
>>> Since we are talking about code, CVS logs are our WIKI.
>>> That's the intention.
>>

>> You're not serious?
>> I'm not talking about file level changes, I'm talking about design
>> documents, project roadmaps, proposals, etc. How do they get put into
>> a CVS log?
>

> I commit the change, it gets reviewed there, live.
> If I want to make a document I commit it, and others change it, I get
> notified via log, I change again or discuss, etc.
>
> I don't see what a WIKI brings developers more than VCSes.

It does.

Re: [RACOON] Let's clean Cocoon and modularize it (was: Cocoon Organization(Cocoonplugins))

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@codeconsult.ch>.
On Monday 05 August 2002 16:46, Andrew C. Oliver wrote:
>. . .
> If no, would you all like me to set this up on my server, and if its
> successful we'll move it to some place bigger?

+1

There have been talks of having a wiki for Cocoon for a while, it would
certainly be good for both developers and "documentors". Much more efficient
than a mailing list when collaborating on specs or documentation IMHO.

(There is wikiland which runs on Cocoon, but I don't know how far it is in
its development. Right now the server at
http://www.anyware-tech.com/wikiland/ seems to be down).

-Bertrand

Re: [RACOON] Let's clean Cocoon and modularize it (was: Cocoon Organization(Cocoonplugins))

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.
Do we (Apache) have a server to set this up on?

Posted by Diana Shannon <sh...@apache.org>.
On Monday, August 5, 2002, at 10:52  AM, Leigh Dodds wrote:

>> I think you missed the point. We have lots of RTs, discussions, etc,
>> and
>> the only way to get them is through archives, or sometimes some good
>> soul [summary]izes them, and again, these summaries are available in
>> the
>> archive. Wiki will allow to keep this information online, browsable,
>> and
>> *editable*.
>
> Yep thats exactly what I meant.
>
> Wikis are a 'step up' from a mailing list archive because they have a
> low barrier to entry (it's just as easy to click 'edit this page' as it
> is to click 'new msg'), but there's the ability to go back and revise
> documents. E.g. to add more information, mark stuff as implemented
> or rejected, rationale behind decisions, etc.

I agree. If we have the resources available we should try **any**
approach that increases doc/author input. Even better if such a wiki
system includes (or we can add on) a structured text -> xml tool (based
on new document dtds?). Converting even well-summarized email posts into
cvs doc commits still takes an overly large amount of commiter time. I'm
really not an experienced wiki person, so I'm sure I'm missing out on
many ways to make my volunteer time more productive.

Still, we're starting to get great input on cocoon-users related to doc
content. The doc list (just recently formed) is getting some traffic; I
believe it serves a different purpose -- doc discussions, not simply
editing/changing. Wiki could become another great tool, but let's keep
all of our options open and continue to encourage all efforts, however
they manifest.

> I've personally being organising my Cocoon notes into a wiki I
> have running locally -- something which I'm hoping to release
> publically soon.

Great.

> Some of it can easily be converted into HOW-TOs and other snippets
> which I'll send to Diana as soon as I get time.

I'd love to know more about this "easy" conversion process. And thanks
for the doc draft, Leigh, along with your other helpful
developerWorks-hosted tutorials! Thanks also to Andy, for offering to
host such a system.

-- Diana

RE: [RACOON] Let's clean Cocoon and modularize it (was: Cocoon Organization(Cocoonplugins))

Posted by Leigh Dodds <ld...@ingenta.com>.

It contains all the notes I made whilst writing up my three Cocoon
tutorials with developerWorks, so there's a fair chunk of content there.
Hopefully everyone can benefit from it.

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@verizon.net>.

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.

Posted by Leigh Dodds <ld...@ingenta.com>.

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.

Posted by Leigh Dodds <ld...@ingenta.com>.
> HA!  And we'll be in exactly the same situation in the end.  I'm sorry
> but more doing things by the seat of our pants
> without explaining it in honest to god documentation first (and
> documents can be modified as your understanding develops) is
> a fools errand.  We'll just have the same thing broken into many pieces
> that very few people understand.  This is not an
> improvement in my opinion.  (Like I said, it shouldn't count for much,
> I'm 3/4 very dumb user and 1/4 cocoon developer)

Here's a concrete suggestion: start a Cocoon wiki site.

Put all proposals in there, as they get implemented fill in the details.
This can still be developer-oriented docs (i.e. no tutorials), but
at least it's captured.

Yep, I know there are web archives, but they're not a great way
of organising information. Wikis are the next step up.

Cheers,

L.

--
Leigh Dodds
http://weblogs.userland.com/eclectic
"Pluralitas non est ponenda sine necessitate" -- William of Ockham

Re: [RACOON] Let's clean Cocoon and modularize it (was: Cocoon Organization (Cocoon plugins))

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.
Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> Andrew C. Oliver wrote:
>

>>> If nobody objects, I will branch on 7 August 2002 and start
>>> refactoring.
>>>
>> Not that my opinion should count for much, but I object.  My
>> objection is this.  Before there is an agreement and set of
>> documentation explaining "WHAT goes WHERE" then this will be
>> contentious.  Secondly, I'd like to see something that explains how a
>> common person will go about installing Cocoon with *feature X* once
>> its split into a billion complex pieces with UNKNOWN dependancies.
>

> Each module will be a "project" in the Gump descriptor.
> Hence the dependencies are clear.

Thats a cop out.

>> Modularization will only work if the modules are defined in a human
>> language.
>

> Exactly.

Lets START there.

>> So far I see a million "lets fix it via just hacking at it"
>> approaches, no definitions, and still inadequate documentation.
>> Personally, I feel the documentation is FAR more important than ANY
>> refactoring at helping users understand Cocoon.
>

> But how can you document a tangle? By writing tangled documentation,
> as now.

That is false.  The state of the documentation is not related to the
state of Cocoon, its related to the low priority that documentation is
given.  Example:

http://jakarta.apache.org/poi/poifs/fileformat.html

The OLE 2 Compound Document format is more of a tangle than Cocoon could
ever hope to be.  Yet this documentation is organized and conceise.  Can
you read this and immediately grasp the low level concepts and just hack
one out?  No probably
not, you'd need the experience of working with it.  But can you get a
high level conceptual understanding and know where to start? Yes.

There are innumerable examples of this throughout history, but I'm not
that long winded.  Read some Stephen Hawkings and understand the order
of the chaotic birth of the universe explained conciecely without making
a web of chaos!  (And I'm mathmatically retarded)

> We need to get a cleaner separation of stuff and that is gonna be
> documented.

No that is exactly the opposite.  We need a clear understanding of what
is going to be seperated before we
do it.  Otherwise it will be more of the same.

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.
Hi..  I'm not "not replying" - Vadim covered my opinion:

"
Because (IIRC) there is no docs to it. And refactoring, remodularizing,
forresting, etc will not help this situation - as Andrew pointed out.
And I cannot not to agree with him.
"

Anyhow, I'm not a committer, so my -1 is not binding.  Just I hope you realize
how wrong you are before you get to far.  I fear the day when Cocoon is refactored
into a billion unexplainable/undocumented pieces that I can't figure out how to fit together.
I'm currently quite able to install Cocoon with the features I need, and I'm even able to
remove some.  Granted it took me ~6 months to get there, but I got there.  So consider me
the little mouse...the user voice that knows his squeek is irrelevant but squeeks before being
stomped under foot.  Then do what you must.

-=Andy "The Please Document Mouse"

Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> Vadim Gritsenko wrote:
>
>>> From: Andrew C. Oliver [mailto:acoliver@apache.org]

>> refactoring.
>>
>>> Not that my opinion should count for much, but I object.
>>

>> I'm with you, we are -1.5 now.
>>
>> Ken, shall we do one step at a time, please?
>> (seems that I'm in favor of evolution)
>

> This is not evolution.
> Refactoring is never evolution.
>
>>> My objection
>>> is this.  Before there is an agreement and set of documentation
>>> explaining "WHAT goes WHERE" then this will be contentious.
>>

>> +1. Before we start branching CVS, let's define what goes where. "Cocoon
>> Organization" thread was exactly about this.
>

> Why?
> The branch is a playground, where many can *see* the difference
> instead of just trying to understand it.
>
> If you prefer I can just write the things I will move, but it just
> seems easier to me to move them and have all evaluate it.
>
> AFAIK there doesn't have to be a vote to branch, but there is to be a
> vote to switch codebases or to switch back.
>
> For now, I haven't heard compelling reasons not to.
>
>>> Secondly,
>>> I'd like to see something that explains how a common person will go
>>> about installing Cocoon with *feature X* once its split into a billion
>>> complex pieces with UNKNOWN dependancies.  Modularization will only
>>> work
>>> if the modules are defined in a human language.  So far I see a

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.

>> Also, can you comment on Andrew's suggestion:
>> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-cocoon-dev&m=102814208304842&w=2
>

> I'm doing it since months now, it's called Centipede.
> We are moving right now with the help of Ant-dev to a new level with
> build imports, and it will be proposed to Cocoon ASAP.

No...this is no really an even match with centipede.  I mean a nice big
fat menu that it would be nice to be able to run in text  mode as well
that reads in a property file with
lines like
"
batik=N
POI=Y
"

./build.sh textconfig would say

"Include Batik [Y/N/H]"?
"Include POI   [Y/N/H]"?

Hitting H would get a description such as....

"POI and the associated serialization support classes provide XML
serialization to legacy formats such as Microsoft Excel 97 and Word.  In
short if you need to generate XLS spreadsheets from XML documents, say
yes here, otherwise its safe to say N"

"Batik and its associated serialization support classes provide support
for generating Scalable Vector Graphics and converting them to other
formats.  If you wish to, for instance, generate JPGs on the fly from
text strings, or bla bla then say yes here, otherwise
its safe to say no"

Following this you could do:

./build.sh configuredwar

and out would come your cocoon with only what you wanted!

We don't necessarily need centipede for this, nor is this necessarily
provided by centipede, though cents supporting this might make it
easier...

>> And Konstantin's:
>> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-cocoon-dev&m=102814539808547&w=2
>

> We don't really need different editions, Cocoon core is not that big.
> What we need is instead the possibility of using Cocoon in different
> environments, hence the Bean (embedded), CLI (standard) and
> servlet/Phoenix (enterprise.)

okay.

>> And Berin's:
>> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-cocoon-dev&m=102814063603019&w=2
>

> We need to sepate implementations where needed and group them when
> not, a simple rule of -all separate- or -using same libs- is not
> enough, since there will always be many shared dependencies.
> We need a list of the impls and the proposed "components".
>

>> My other reason is: the more (playground) directories we create, the
>> more messy MAIN becomes. And, one cannot work with HEAD, because you
>> cannot commit to HEAD.
>

> I said BRANCH, not subdirs.

He means when you create subdirs in the branch.

-Andy

Re: [CLEANCOON] Let's clean Cocoon and modularize it (was: Cocoon Organization (Cocoon plugins))

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
Vadim Gritsenko wrote:
>>From: Nicola Ken Barozzi [mailto:nicolaken@apache.org]

>>>+1. Before we start branching CVS, let's define what goes where.
>>
> "Cocoon
>
>>>Organization" thread was exactly about this.
>>
>>Why?
>>The branch is a playground, where many can *see* the difference
>
> instead
>
>>of just trying to understand it.
>>
>>If you prefer I can just write the things I will move, but it just
>
> seems
>
>>easier to me to move them and have all evaluate it.
>

> My main concern about Cocoon health is that it grows with features which
> are *not* integrated with each other. Examples are:
>
> 1. CInclude vs XInclude
> 2. ESQL vs SQLTransformer
> 3. xscript vs session context
> 4. ProgrammingLanguage vs Interpreter
> etc.
>
> All these features should be better integrated with each other, should
> be built on common code and share that common code. The resulting shared
> code base among features will easy maintenance burden, reduce amount of
> code, and will give better integrated Cocoon, where features are work
> with each other seamlessly.
>
> If you to break up things into several packages, it will be much harder
> to do integration work (if possible at all).

Just put them in the same component package.

> Also, can you comment on Andrew's suggestion:
> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-cocoon-dev&m=102814208304842&w=2

I'm doing it since months now, it's called Centipede.
We are moving right now with the help of Ant-dev to a new level with
build imports, and it will be proposed to Cocoon ASAP.

> And Konstantin's:
> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-cocoon-dev&m=102814539808547&w=2

We don't really need different editions, Cocoon core is not that big.
What we need is instead the possibility of using Cocoon in different
environments, hence the Bean (embedded), CLI (standard) and
servlet/Phoenix (enterprise.)

> And Berin's:
> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-cocoon-dev&m=102814063603019&w=2

We need to sepate implementations where needed and group them when not,
a simple rule of -all separate- or -using same libs- is not enough,
since there will always be many shared dependencies.
We need a list of the impls and the proposed "components".

>>AFAIK there doesn't have to be a vote to branch, but there is to be a
>>vote to switch codebases or to switch back.
>>
>>For now, I haven't heard compelling reasons not to.
>

> My other reason is: the more (playground) directories we create, the
> more messy MAIN becomes. And, one cannot work with HEAD, because you
> cannot commit to HEAD.

I said BRANCH, not subdirs.

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@s-und-n.de>.
Andrew C. Oliver wrote:

> I'm missing something here Carsten.  You may have been saying "and
> Session Transformer" but if I didn't
> make the connection that Session Transformer=Include something...  So
> you're saying this has functionality
> that coulde be shared between it CInclude/XInclude?

The SessionTransformer (found in the webapps/session package and named
"session" in the sitemap has also an include feature/tag.

Now, why is it called SessionTransformer? We first developed this
transformer with all this session handling stuff and then found out
that we also needed a good include feature. So, instead of making
a new transformer this was added to the SessionTransformer (and the
former name of this transformer was SunShineTransformer anyway).

The main difference is that the include feature of the session
transformer is configurable (as it uses a more verbose syntax):
(Replace sunshine: with session:)

<sunshine:include>
  <sunshine:connection type="uri">
    <sunshine:target>http://itsunshine/tamino/blah</sunshine:target>
    <sunshine:config>
	<sunshine:param>
	  <sunshine:name>method</sunshine:name>
	  <sunshine:value>POST</sunshine:value>
	</sunshine:param>
    </sunshine:config>
    <sunshine:params>
      <sunshine:param>
	  <sunshine:name>message</sunshine:name>
	  <sunshine:value>Hi there</sunshine:value>
	</sunshine:param>
	<sunshine:param>
	  <sunshine:name>_Process</sunshine:name>
	</sunshine:param>
	<sunshine:param>
	  <sunshine:name>Test</sunshine:name>
	  <sunshine:value><sunshine:getxml context="request"
path="/parameter/matti"/></sunshine:value>
	</sunshine:param>
    </sunshine:params>
  </sunshine:connection>
</sunshine:include>

As you can see, you can dynamically add request parameters and configure
the connection, like setting the POST method.

Carsten

Re: [CLEANCOON] Let's clean Cocoon and modularize it (was: Cocoon Organization (Cocoon plugins))

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@s-und-n.de>.

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@verizon.net>.

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@verizon.net>.

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.

RE: Let's clean Cocoon and modularize it (was: Cocoon Organization(Cocoon plugins))

Posted by Leigh Dodds <ld...@ingenta.com>.
Just to jump in a spend my two euros:

One thing that ought that I think should be collectively
thought about is whether modularization (or indeed,
anything) can help stabilise particular aspects of Cocoon
such that they can be clearly labelled as stable/core, etc.

This is an issue that I've encountered when proposing that
Cocoon be deployed into a commercial environment.
Essentially: "if we build an application on this version of
Cocoon, are we going to easily migrate to newer versions
of the software without having to rearchitect the application".

It seems that there are some aspects of Cocoon that are
undergoing fairly radical changes -- I keep seeing mention
of changes to the Sitemap processing model (blocks?)
for instance -- this is off-putting when you can a stable
platform for your application.

Cheers,

L.

[RACOON] Cocoon refactoring (was many other things)

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
Vadim Gritsenko wrote:
>>From: Nicola Ken Barozzi [mailto:nicolaken@apache.org]

>>><snip/>

>>>Ant to build docs - yes. Offline generation is another one used by
>>
> some
>
>>>people.
>>
>>Ha. *easily* I said.
>>Peter Donald ov Avalon is not the last programmer on earth, yet he
>>doesn't know yet that with Cocoon CLI you can supply a list of URLs to
>>preocess and *not* crawl. I'm 100% sure it's not his fault.
>
> Because (IIRC) there is no docs to it. And refactoring, remodularizing,
> forresting, etc will not help this situation - as Andrew pointed out.
> And I cannot not to agree with him.

I never said that documentation has not to be there.
The point is that if someone needs to read a book just to get started
proficiently, I say we're off track.

>>And how about embedding Cocoon in other apps?

:-?

>>>that.
>>>
>>>What's wrong with Cocoon.java? It *is* the entry point. If you don't
>>>like something in it - let's fix it, why start another /bean/?
>>
>>Simply because Cocoon.java is not an easy entry point.
>>Look how Main.java calls it, and you will understand how it's not
>>user-friendly.
>

> Cocoon c = new Cocoon();
> c.setLogger(log);
> c.contextualize(appContext);
> c.setLogKitManager(logKitManager);
> c.initialize();
> FileSavingEnvironment env =
>   new FileSavingEnvironment(deparameterizedURI,
>                         context,
>                         attributes,
>                         parameters,
>                         links,
>                         stream,
>                         log);
> c.process(env);
> c.dispose();
>
> Not one line, yes, but not impossible, too... The complexity here is
> that Cocoon is a Component.

And you didn't write how you created log, appContext, logKitManager, etc.
This makes it much longer.

>>We can fix that instead of making a bean, this is just an
>> implementation
>
>>issue. I just thoght that creating a bean would break less stuff that
>>now is depending on the "old" Cocoon.java.
>

> Ok, +1 for CocoonBean. Let's keep Cocoon.java as is.

Ok, but this is just the tip of the refactoring.

Ok :-/ , let me write it here first.

Take Cocoon src/java/org/apache/cocoon/.

Remove all the implementation in
  acting
  generation
  matching
  reading
  selection
  serialization

and make a src/components/componentname/org/apache/cocoon/* hierarchy
where you put them.
Make a single componentname called common for the common components that
do not depend on other jars.
Move also the webapps packages

Now we have in the src/java/org/apache/cocoon/*
  acting/Action.java
  generation/Generator.java
  matching/Matcher.java
  reading/Reder.java
  selection/Selector.java
  serialization/Serializer.java

Which is plain stupid, so we can simply make them in a package called
components.

Then we need to show the layers in Cocoon as packages.

so we will have
  components (we have already moved the interfaces)
  pipelines (we should move here the pipelines)
  sitemaps

Then the util package, the existence of which always makes me uneasy, in
every project I see.
I propose to move this to Jakarta Commons, where it already has been
voted positively to make XML.Apache members possible to work in the sandbox.

Then we have the current /components, that need to be split into real
Cocoon-Avalon components or ones used by Sitemap Components.
The latter should go along with the
src/components/componentname/org/apache/cocoon/components/*
naming scheme, or similar.
The Cocoon system components into services, and switch from Composable
to Serviceable.

Finally we need to move all frontends to a cocoon/frontends or similar,
that will have Main.java, renamed to Commandline.java, CocoonTask.java,
CocoonServlet.java, etc (so remove Cocoon/servlet in the Process).

finally it will be something like:
  components (only interfaces)
  pipelines (interfaces+an impl package)
  sitemap (interfaces+an impl package)
  environment (interfaces+ impl package)
  frontends (only implementations and also CocoonBean)
  Cocoon.java

i18n and caching goes into the serviceable stuff.

Then we need to formalize the Source stuff, and separate cleanly the
localiation stage from the Generation stage.
And then see how to interoperate with Morphos, or simply inglobate it.

This would be the first run, then there are other things to do like
switch to Fortress/Merlin, clean the lifecycle interface and expose less
components and more services.
Oh, and then make blocks ;-)

This is what is in my head, see if it makes sense.

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@verizon.net>.

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@verizon.net>.

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
Cocoon is simple conceptually.
Cocoon is a beast implementation-wise.

Why?

It's monolithic.

So?

Let's modularize it :-)

                 -oOo-

To get back to a simple Cocoon, we need to define what Cocoon is.

---------------------
   What is Cocoon?
---------------------

Cocoon is a resource processing engine based on XML and written in Java.

/Eh? wasn't it a web application server?/

It's mainly used as such, but it's more general in use.
We can schematize Cocoon as a black box that recieves inputs from an
environment, processes these inputs via XML, and returns resources to
the caller.
These resources can be XML files, HTML files, Excel files, other files,
XML or SQL databases, Web forms, Web services, and whatever can be
transformed in XML for processing. Also non-XMLable resources can be
processed by Cocoon, but the most flexible way passes from XML format.

---------------------
   What is the core?
---------------------

Now, has anyone easily used Cocoon out of a Servlet environment?

We need a _CocoonBean_, that becomes the core entry point.
You give it a sitemap, input, and it processes the output. Simple as that.

The Cocoon core is layered in two, the pipelines and the sitemap
selection-action stuff.

---------------------------
   What can we do about it?
---------------------------

1) Please take a look at Morphos in jakarta-commons-sandbox.
    It's a project that defines pipelines and stages to transform objects
    into other objects.
    I have already ported the poi HSSF there as a Morpher.

    This can be the pipeline part of the core.

2) Use the pipelines into a Sitemap processing system, with
    the CocoonBean as the entry-point.

3) Move all implementations in indipendent sub-projects.

4) Make the environments all use the CocoonBean.

5) Separate and document the location phase from the generation phase,
via sources.

Mind me, these are *conceptual* possibilities, on implementations there
will be much yet to decide; also, all this must be done mostly via
refactoring, not via rewriting.
I am using the free4apache Refactorit and it works well :-)

"Groups are allowed to create a branch for release cycles, etc. They are
expected to merge completely back with the main branch as soon as their
release cycle is complete."

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
> On Monday 05 August 2002 09:41, Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
>
>>. . .
>>we should try to build a minimal Cocoon or core Cocoon if you
>>prefer and put everything else into additional modules (read: not blocks).
>>By modules I simply mean different directories in the CVS in order to
>>optionally build them.
>>. . .
>

> It would be great if these modules could be pluggable at runtime, simply by
> copying the required jars in the right places. Users won't like having to
> recompile Cocoon just to activate different options IMHO.

+1

> I don't know Cocoon internals or Avalon in much detail, but maybe the
> following scenario could be implemented simply and help users locate and add
> the required functionality when they need it:
>
> 1) create an XML map of modules, classnames and URLs that is distributed with
> Cocoon, example:
>
> <plugin-module
>   name="xslt-xalan"
>   class="org.apache.cocooon.wrappers.XalanWrapper"
>   download-url="http://xml.apache.org/cocoon/dist/modules/xalan"
>   download-file="cocoon-xalan-plugin.2.0.3.jar"
> />

nice idea

> 2) when a Component is requested from the Sitemap and is not available, a
> custom ClassLoader (or a catch of the ClassNotFoundException) uses the
> above map to let users know how to activate it, something like:
>
> CocoonPluginNotFoundException:
> The "xslt-xalan" plugin (requested by blablabla...) is not present in your
> Cocoon configuration. To activate it, download file
> "cocoon-xalan-plugin.2.0.3.jar" from
> "http://xml.apache.org/cocoon/dist/modules/xalan", copy this jar to the
> WEB-INF/lib subdirectory of your Cocoon installation and restart Cocoon
>
> I don't know how well this fits your plans, but it might help distributing a
> minimal Cooon while making it easy for users to install what they need.

Also this can be done, but the most important thing is now getting the
reorganization done, then what you envision could become reality :-)

             - verba volant, scripta manent -

Re: Cocoon Blocks

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@codeconsult.ch>.
On Friday 16 August 2002 16:59, Giacomo Pati wrote:
>. . .
> Wasn't my explanation of a skip/access/webmail block recently enough?

FYI I have added your example to the "blocks use cases" page at CocoDocoWiki:
http://outerthought.net/wiki/Wiki.jsp?page=BlocksUseCases

Hopefully having several examples/wishlists there will help.

-Bertrand

RE: Cocoon Blocks

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@s-und-n.de>.
Giacomo Pati wrote:

> or in other
> ideas) of the
> > >
> > > Wasn't my explanation of a skip/access/webmail block recently enough?
> > >
> > Sorry, must have missed that - do you have a pointer available?
>
> Look at
> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-cocoon-dev&m=102941595120561&w=2

Thanks for the pointer, Giacomo.

But I must insist, that this example is far too vague for me: we have
three cobs and they all live forever happy together. point.

But how does this really look like in the sitemap?
How does the communication between the cobs take place?
Does it really work? Is it practical?
What is the drawback, perhaps performance?

I know, creating such an example is a lot of work, but currently without
that, I can't judge if blocks are really usefull. And this could help
in showing the difference between blocks and modules.

Carsten

RE: Cocoon Blocks

Posted by Giacomo Pati <gi...@apache.org>.
On Mon, 19 Aug 2002, Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

> Giacomo Pati wrote:
> > >
> > > I'm still looking for a real example that makes use of a
> > > 'skin block' or a 'portal block' or something like that - or in other
> > > words, an example which really uses all the features (and ideas) of the
> > > blocks concept and not only a part of it.
> >
> > Wasn't my explanation of a skip/access/webmail block recently enough?
> >
> Sorry, must have missed that - do you have a pointer available?

Look at
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-cocoon-dev&m=102941595120561&w=2

Giacomo

RE: Cocoon Blocks

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@s-und-n.de>.
Giacomo Pati wrote:

> > I'm still looking for a real example that makes use of a
> > 'skin block' or a 'portal block' or something like that - or in other
> > words, an example which really uses all the features (and ideas) of the
> > blocks concept and not only a part of it.
>
> Wasn't my explanation of a skip/access/webmail block recently enough?

Sorry, must have missed that - do you have a pointer available?

Thanks,
Carsten

RE: Cocoon Blocks

Posted by Giacomo Pati <gi...@apache.org>.

RE: Cocoon Blocks

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@s-und-n.de>.

Re: Cocoon Blocks

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@codeconsult.ch>.

RE: Cocoon Blocks

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@s-und-n.de>.
Andrew C. Oliver wrote:

> As I understand it Blocks are a solution to world hunger, documentation,
> complexity, the meaning of life and why
> the local bars and taxi companies in many college towns close
> simultaneously at 2:00am.

And does it also answer the question "Why are fueling stations always on
the wrong site of the street?" - This is a real world problem, I faced
too often in the last days.

> I'd like to see Blocks matched to WHAT they solve (Show cause and
> effect), totally what they are, how they match
> to the *blocks* implemented by other projects (Like James I
> believe)...etc.

The blocks RT sounds great, but I'm also interested in a real example
which shows the usage of blocks - the current description is for me
a little bit vague. It doesn't detail how communication between different
blocks really takes place etc.

Carsten

Re: Cocoon Blocks

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <an...@superlinksoftware.com>.
+1 -- -

Re: Cocoon Blocks

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <an...@superlinksoftware.com>.
But WHAT problems does it solve?  Can we drill down into a bit more detail?

-andy

Re: Cocoon Blocks

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@codeconsult.ch>.

Re: Cocoon Blocks

Posted by Giacomo Pati <gi...@apache.org>.
On Mon, 12 Aug 2002, Leigh Dodds wrote:

> > This was one of the core issues Cocoon Blocks should solve in the end.>
> > Giacomo
>
> As an irregular member of this list, I keep seeing 'Blocks' being mentioned
> (usually as the solution to all kinds of problems! :)
>
> Can anyone point me to some documentation, list discussion threads, or
> even scratchpad stuff that describes/demonstrates what Blocks actually
> are?

One major point is that Cocoon scales good from the sitemap point of view
(root-sitemap -> sub-sitemap -> ... -> sub-sitemap) but does not on the
Component level (one single cocoon.xconf). Everybody which ever tried to
integrate a Cocoon application which comes with its own Avalon Components
into an already running Cocoon system knows what I am talking about.
You need to merge those new Components into the cocoon.xconf file for
every new application you'd like to deploy in the same Cocoon system and
this can grow into a maintainance nightmare.

The other point Cocoon Blocks (COB) will solve is modularisation. Consider
the following.

1. There is a COB interface defined about skinning application data
of defined XSchemas (navigations, menues, content) by transformations
(i.e. XSLT) into something else (i.e. HTML)

2. There is a COB interface defined about accessing mail messages which
generates defined XSchemas of mail messages and mail folders from mail
stores like IMAP, POP, mboxes or "write your own"

3. There is a COB which offers an WebMail application which depends on
   - a skinning COB
   - a mail message accessing COB

Now, when someone likes to deploy the WebMailCOB it uses the Cocoon COB
management application which asks for a URI to the COB to deploy. As a COB
will have meta data inside, the management console will be able to ask for
configuration data for the COB and also knows of unresolved dependancies
to other COBs. So the deployer of the WebMailCOB will be asked where the
dependant skin and access COBs are.  Now, the management console could
offer implementations for them from a well known site like cob.apache.org
(URL will be configurable of course) which have been registered there. Now
you can select the Christmas skin COB and the IMAP access COB from the
list and configure them to have your WebMail ready and running.

And now you will be free to use other skin COBs in terms of minutes or you
can write your own to achieve "corporate identity". You have your mails
stored in a database and there is no COB for it? Write your own and have
them be served by the WebMailCOB.

So, Cocoon Blocks will not be "the solution to all kinds of problems" as
you might have heared. But it will ease deployment of several "modules"
into one single Cocoon system.

Stefano and I also used the term "naked Cocoon" which sould be a war file
that comes with nothing but what is needed to run the COB management
application. This enables users to start with it and deploy COBs to have
something running by Cocoon.

Hope this and the link Bertrand mentioned in an other mail in this thread
will help understand what Cocoon Blocks should solve.

Giacomo

Cocoon Blocks

Posted by Leigh Dodds <ld...@ingenta.com>.

Posted by Giacomo Pati <gi...@apache.org>.