Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org> on 2006/02/01 07:15:21 UTC

Re: Supporting "conditional GET" in Cocoon

On Fri, Dec 30, 2005 at 05:21:22PM +0100, Ugo Cei wrote:

> >>How would a class member work with multiple threads?
> >
> >I see. This is because the HttpSource is referenced by the
> >HttpSourceValidity, right? Now the serialization problem shows that
> >it may not the right approach. Hmm.... what about using an common
> >class used both by the source and validity classes to hold the
> >common information?
>
> I was assuming that by "class member" you meant a static class
> variable. That's where my doubts about multithreading arose.
>
> >>This works for file: URLs but fails for http: URLs, which was
> >>totally unexpected to me and the cause of much frustration.
> >
> >Weird. Don't we get an exception of some kind on 404?
>
> For a file: source we get a ResourceNotFoundException, but for an
> http: source we get a ProcessingException that wraps an IOException.
>
> >Indeed. My impression is that this work is concentrated it two main
> >locations: the http source for incoming streams, and the pipeline
> >engine for outgoing streams where we must better handle etags and
> >last-modified headers.
>
> Right.
>
> I'm going on vacation in a few minutes, and I don't think I'll be
> able to contribute much to this discussion or code in the next days,
> but I'll catch up when I'm back if this thread goes on.

Resurrecting this important thread ...

I tried your patch today. Nice.
http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/COCOON-1726
However i am not expert enough to comment on the
implementation. All that i can say is: please.

-David

Re: Supporting "conditional GET" in Cocoon

Posted by Ugo Cei <ug...@apache.org>.
Il giorno 03/feb/06, alle ore 00:32, David Crossley ha scritto:

> I got it a few days ago. Perhaps you re-attached the
> same patch.

Took a while for me to find the time to do something about this, but
I have a new version of the patch attached to the issue. You might
want to test it.

	Ugo

--
Ugo Cei
Blog: http://agylen.com/

Re: Supporting "conditional GET" in Cocoon

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ugo Cei <ug...@apache.org>.

Tech Blog: http://agylen.com/

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
David Crossley wrote:

> Resurrecting this important thread ...
>
> I tried your patch today. Nice.
> http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/COCOON-1726
> However i am not expert enough to comment on the
> implementation. All that i can say is: please.

Ah, there is a problem, which i suppose is one
reason that you have not committed this.