Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Elizabeth Robinson <va...@yahoo.com> on 2014/03/22 17:37:15 UTC

Cannot get Java to work in Open Office Base

Hello. I am trying to create a form in Open Office Base.

I have Open Office version 4.0.1. I have Java 7.0.510.13 including JRE file javaw.exe sitting at C:/Program Files/Java/jre7/bin. I am using the Windows XP operating system.

When I try to create a form with the Wizard, it tells me there is no JRE and to add one by going to Tools>Options>Java. When I try to add javaw.exe from this window, the system says there is no JRE in the folder selected (...Java/jre7/bin). Of course, there is a JRE file there!

I am totally stumped. Went to the OpenOffice forum and saw some totally confusing explanation about 32-bit versus 64-bit.

Please give me plain-English step-by-step instructions on (1) how to determine what "bit" I have and how to change whatever setting so that Java will run in Base.

Thanks!!

Elizabeth Robinson
vava_22304@yahoo.com

Re: Cannot get Java to work in Open Office Base

Posted by Ariel Constenla-Haile <ar...@apache.org>.
Hello Elizabeth,

On Sat, Mar 22, 2014 at 09:37:15AM -0700, Elizabeth Robinson wrote:
> Hello. I am trying to create a form in Open Office Base.    I have
> Open Office version 4.0.1. I have Java 7.0.510.13 including JRE file
> javaw.exe sitting at C:/Program Files/Java/jre7/bin. I am using the
> Windows XP operating system.
>
> When I try to create a form with the Wizard, it tells me there is no
> JRE and to add one by going to Tools>Options>Java. When I try to add
> javaw.exe from this window, the system says there is no JRE in the
> folder selected (...Java/jre7/bin). Of course, there is a JRE file
> there!
>
>   I am totally stumped. Went to the OpenOffice forum and saw some
> totally confusing explanation about 32-bit versus 64-bit.
>
> Please give me plain-English step-by-step instructions on (1) how
> to determine what "bit" I have and how to change whatever setting so
> that Java will run in Base.

OpenOffice is a 32 bit application, so you have to install a 32 bit
Java. Is your system 32 or 64 bit? Please refer to this FAQ in order to
understand the difference:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/32-bit-and-64-bit-windows#1TC=windows-7
in particular "How can I tell if my computer is running a 32-bit or a 64-bit
version of Windows?"

If your computer is running a 32-bit version of Windows, then you don't
need any extra steps, OpenOffice should detect the JRE in Tools
- Options - Java.

As this is not the case, I assume your system is running a 64-bit
version of Windows; in this case, you have to install the 32-bit version
of Java. Downloading from https://www.java.com/en/download/ can be
a little hard, because this site offers the version according to your
browser (if your browser is 64-bit, it will offer Java 64-bit), then
please download from the Oracle site:
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/java-se-jre-7-download-432155.html
accept the license agreement, and download the link that says
"Windows x86 Offline -  19.26 MB  -  jre-7-windows-i586.exe"

Once installed, restart OpenOffice, and go to Tools - Options...
- OpenOffice - Java. The 32 bit version of Java should be listed there,
just select it.

Regards
--
Ariel Constenla-Haile
La Plata, Argentina

Re: Cannot get Java to work in Open Office Base

Posted by johnny smith <ka...@krovatka.su>.
On Sat, 22 Mar 2014 16:37:15 -0000, Elizabeth Robinson <va...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I am totally stumped. Went to the OpenOffice forum and saw some totally confusing explanation about 32-bit versus 64-bit.
>  Please give me plain-English step-by-step instructions on (1) how to determine what "bit" I have and how to change whatever setting so that Java will run in Base.

how many bits you have should be listed under start -> control panel -> system.

Re: Cannot get Java to work in Open Office Base

Posted by Fernando Cassia <fc...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, Mar 22, 2014 at 6:29 PM, Ariel Constenla-Haile
<ar...@apache.org>wrote:

> OpenOffice only bundles the Redist corresponding to the compiler used
> to build OpenOffice (Visual Studio 2008),

Which is why it would be -in theory, of course, I have no idea of the
effort required but I suspect it'd be substantial- nice for the Windows
build of AOO to move away from Microsoft's C compilers and into something
else that is open source, like OpenWatcom or even MinGW... it helps avoid
microsoft's "planned obsolescence" and the bundling of third party,
non-opensource runtime DLLs.

Sorry, this would be a better debate for the devs list no the users list.

FC
act
Durante épocas de Engaño Universal, decir la verdad se convierte en un Acto
Revolucionario
- George Orwell

Re: Cannot get Java to work in Open Office Base

Posted by Ariel Constenla-Haile <ar...@apache.org>.
On Sat, Mar 22, 2014 at 07:16:32PM -0000, johnny smith wrote:
> On Sat, 22 Mar 2014 19:05:07 -0000, Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> >Aren't we already doing better, by bundling ... the Visual C++
> >redistributable ... with OpenOffice for Windows?
>
> in 3.4 times, only c++ 2008 was bundled, and now 2010 too?

OpenOffice only bundles the Redist corresponding to the compiler used
to build OpenOffice (Visual Studio 2008), for the 2010 version it only
ships the needed libraries, not the Redist installer.

Regards
--
Ariel Constenla-Haile
La Plata, Argentina

Re: Cannot get Java to work in Open Office Base

Posted by johnny smith <ka...@krovatka.su>.

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
Fernando Cassia wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 22, 2014 at 2:09 PM, johnny smith wrote:
>> java 7 requires visual c++ redistributable 2010 ...
> Oh come on devs, this should be checked by the software, no the user. How
> many code lines are needed to implement this check during -or more
> precisely, after- the OO install, or the first time the app is run ?

Aren't we already doing better, by bundling it (the Visual C++
redistributable, not Java) with OpenOffice for Windows?

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: Cannot get Java to work in Open Office Base

Posted by Fernando Cassia <fc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ariel Constenla-Haile <ar...@apache.org>.
On Sat, Mar 22, 2014 at 05:09:17PM -0000, johnny smith wrote:
> java 7 requires visual c++ redistributable 2010, which is not bundled
> with

The OP is using AOO 4.0, the Visual C++ Redist. isn't needed with that
version.

Regards
--
Ariel Constenla-Haile
La Plata, Argentina

Re: Cannot get Java to work in Open Office Base

Posted by johnny smith <ka...@krovatka.su>.