Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com> on 2006/03/13 23:39:11 UTC

[tools] Eclipse JRE support

I've put the HARMONY-127 (Eclipse plug-in for Harmony JRE support)
source code into SVN.  Is there an appropriate Eclipse update site where
we can host the built plug-in, or should I create one on the Harmony server?

Regards,
Tim

--

Tim Ellison (t.p.ellison@gmail.com)
IBM Java technology centre, UK.

Re: [tools] Eclipse JRE support

Posted by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com>.
Cool - we have a site somewhere.  I'll go figure out where - there is an
Eclipse plug-in for Geronimo, so someone has already gone through this
with Infra...

geir

Posted by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>.
Leo Simons wrote:
> Hi Tim,
>
> There's several ASF projects out there already hosting eclipse plugins and the
> infrastructure team so far wasn't all that happy if I remember correctly. I
> think that the eclipse update mechanism doesn't properly support the use of
> multiple mirrors, resulting in a lot of bandwidth being taken up from the ASF
> hardware,

Not sure what proper support you need.  We can specify mirrors from the
site description file.

> and in general has rather broken HTTP support (always a thorn in the
> eye of the ASF, where a lot of people that helped design and implement HTTP do
> the system administration!)

Maybe we should take this discussion onto the infra list ... and fix /
address concerns for all.

> We should in general not take any kind of distribution
> publishing (which this pretty much is) lightly, and shouldn't use SVN as a
> "distribution location".
>
> Please, let's not publish this SVN URL on the wiki or our website just yet.

I agree -- let's have a proper distribution site.

Regards,
Tim

Posted by Leo Simons <ma...@leosimons.com>.
Hi Tim,

There's several ASF projects out there already hosting eclipse plugins and the
infrastructure team so far wasn't all that happy if I remember correctly. I
think that the eclipse update mechanism doesn't properly support the use of
multiple mirrors, resulting in a lot of bandwidth being taken up from the ASF
hardware, and in general has rather broken HTTP support (always a thorn in the
eye of the ASF, where a lot of people that helped design and implement HTTP do
the system administration!) We should in general not take any kind of distribution

Posted by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>.
Just for you Thorbjørn

Regards,
Tim