Posted to user@struts.apache.org by "Struts Newsgroup (@Basebeans.com)" <st...@basebeans.com> on 2002/03/30 02:40:01 UTC

Weird problem with tiles and struts forward.

Subject: Weird problem with tiles and struts forward.
From: "Jack Gao" <we...@hotmail.com>
 ===
Hi, List

I'm new with this struts and tiles issues.

My problem is: when define a jsp page in struts-config.xml to forward to if
success or failed, it works fine. But if I jump to tiles, and forward to a
definition, I keep to get servlet exception.

My definition xml file has a declare like this:

  <definition name="register.success" extends="mainLayout">
    <put name="body"   value="/success.jsp" />
  </definition>

And in my struts-config.xml I delcare like this:

    <action    path="/register"
               type="xxx.xxx.xxx.RegisterAction"
               name="registerForm"
              scope="request"
           validate="false">
      <forward name="success"              path="register.success"/>
      <forward name="failure"              path="register.failure"/>
    </action>

The mainLayout works fine, and I got exception when it forward to next page.

java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Path register.success does not start
with a "/" character
	at
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationContext.getRequestDispatcher(Application
Context.java:570)
	at
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationContextFacade.getRequestDispatcher(Appli
cationContextFacade.java:174)
	at
org.apache.struts.action.RequestProcessor.doForward(RequestProcessor.java:96
5)
	at
org.apache.struts.action.RequestProcessor.processActionForward(RequestProces
sor.java:408)
	at
org.apache.struts.action.RequestProcessor.process(RequestProcessor.java:269)
	at org.apache.struts.action.ActionServlet.process(ActionServlet.java:1109)
	at org.apache.struts.action.ActionServlet.doPost(ActionServlet.java:470)
	at
FilterChain.java:247)
	at
ain.java:193)
	at
filters.SetCharacterEncodingFilter.doFilter(SetCharacterEncodingFilter.java:
170)
	at
FilterChain.java:213)
	at
ain.java:193)
	at
va:243)
	at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:5
66)
	at
	at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.invoke(ContainerBase.java:943)
	at
va:190)
	at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:5
66)
	at
	at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.invoke(ContainerBase.java:943)
	at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.invoke(StandardContext.java:2343)
	at
)
	at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:5
66)
	at
java:170)
	at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:5
64)
	at
org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:170
)
	at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:5
64)
	at
org.apache.catalina.valves.AccessLogValve.invoke(AccessLogValve.java:468)
	at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:5
64)
	at
	at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.invoke(ContainerBase.java:943)
	at
:174)
	at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:5
66)
	at
	at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.invoke(ContainerBase.java:943)
	at
1012)
	at
org.apache.catalina.connector.http.HttpProcessor.run(HttpProcessor.java:1107
)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:484)

Any idea?

Thanks a lot!

Jack

Re: Weird problem with tiles and struts forward.

Posted by mglass <mg...@hvc.rr.com>.
I'm experiencing the same problem. According to the Tiles docs it shuld be
possible to specify a Tiles definition as a forward target. I am assuming
now that this is a desired feature of Tiles but not active yet. I'm using
Struts 1.1 Beta.

Mark Glass

<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>
<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>

Re: Weird problem with tiles and struts forward.

Posted by mglass <mg...@hvc.rr.com>.
Wellie,
  No, I didn't get it to work. I had the same experience as you and I,  too,
assumed it was a desired feature that has not yet been implemented. I'm
using version 1.1 Beta.

Mark

Posted by "Wellie W. Chao" <wc...@caraveltech.com>.
Wow. I just tried it again and it works beautifully. You learn something new
every day. It simplifies things to be able to use a definition in a path
rather than having to specify the location of a two line file that just has
a tiles:insert. I think it had something to do with the DOCTYPE. I had
servlet 2.2 before and changed it to servlet 2.3 a few days ago.

Yes.  In fact, I changed all of the references to Tiles definitions.  I'm
using the 02/05/2002 nightly.

Are you saying you tried it and got it to work? I saw it in the docs, but I

Posted by Robert Morse <rm...@mdesignz.com>.