Posted to user@ant.apache.org by Paul Cody <pa...@lucida.com> on 2002/03/01 00:16:28 UTC

RE: Determine target's name

Anyhooooooo....

Open source developers feed off the art of programming, the ego of having
thousands of people running your code, and the excitement that people take
in their code (such as thank yous && feature requests (note the conditional
AND operator)).  I've not contributed anything myself, but it would be my
opinion from the outside that Ant is long past the "implement everything
that people ask for, cuz gee, that's so cool that somebody asked for it!".
So, if you have a feature request, be positive about it.  If you don't get a
positive response, your were either unsuccessful in communicating your idea,
or your idea was not considered useful.  Most developers would agree that
the simpler something is, the better, so naturally feature additions should
be challenged on their worth.  As for the specific idea in question, I
happen to agree with you:  the ant.file is part of the runtime context, it
seems natural to be able to access the name of the currently running target
as well.  But I also understand the caution:  ant is (mostly) a
declarative/functional tool, adding contextual information like this sets a
postentially dangerous precedent in that moves it more towards an iterative
programming model that would evolve into it's own scripting language.
Whether this is bad or good is up to debate.  Anyway, code speaks louder
than words, so the best thing is just go try it for yourself and maybe
contribute back to the project.  It can probably be implemented in a matter
of minutes.

Paul